Conair Ion Shine 1875 Watt Ionic Styler

No Image

3.7

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I'm surprised at the bad ratings. This dryer is cheap and does the job really well. It gets my super thick, long asian hair to dry in a couple of minutes. I don't dry my hair to the point its completely dry though. I dry it to 90% and then let the hair dry naturally on its own. It straightens my hair well too.

The only issue would be that its breaking one of the cardinal rules of hair: combing it when its wet.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Love ittt! The only thing that gets my curly hair dry without it being frizzy and it straightens my hair so much more than a normal hairdryer (if you use it correctly).
The only people that have used mine and disliked it weren't using it correctly.
This makes flat ironing my hair A LOT easier.
The older version lasted longer, but whatever, it's cheap enough to buy a new one once a year :P

on 6/16/2007 2:52:00 PM

This review is for the Tourmaline Ceramic Ionic dryer model 174TB. It's red and looks just like the 174R, which I can't find anywhere, so I think this one must have replaced that model. This dryer allows you to turn the ions on and off, which I have to have because every ion dryer I've ever used that didn't allow that option made my hair very flat. I have fine, relatively straight hair that tends to wave on its own if I don't blow dry it. This dryer is the quietest one I've ever tried, even on high. It also has a more pleasant tone to it than most dryers. The hot is hot without being scorching, the warm is truly warm, and the cool is very cool. The cold shot is also very cold, much more so than other dryers I've tried. I don't find this dryer to be heavy at all. It's not as light as the Revlon version that looks like the T3, but it feels good in your hand and is properly balanced. I can also really tell the difference when I turn on the ions. I use it to finish my style or to touch up at the end of the day, and it really does leave an incredible shine on the hair. The best ionic drugstore dryer I've tried, and I've tried several and returned all but this one.

on 7/27/2006 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I personally don't believe in shelling out $200+ for a hair dryer. Either you're born with good hair, or you're not. A overpriced hair dryer is not going to change coarse steel wool hair into silk. That said, this drugstore hairdryer gets the job done. I used to use a regular non-ionic hair dryer, and when I switched over I could instantly feel the difference. My hair is a lot more obedient with less flyaways, and is softer and smoother. This dryer has been working for 2+ years and I'm hoping it'll last a long time, but when I need to repurchase I'd definitely consider this particular model.

on 10/11/2005 4:54:00 PM

This review is for the Conair Ceramic Ionic Hairdryer - 174R - it's red, about
$25, 1875 watts and the best hair dryer I've ever had/experienced (including at the salon)! My last one was a piece of junk, overpriced (okay, $50, but it was really bad) Hot Tools ionic dryer that lasted under a year and during that time, didn't succeed in any of its claims. This one is better made, makes my (long, fine, frizzy & damaged) hair silky smooth with volume in short time. Don't know if it's because of the ceramic heat or the dual (instead of one) ionic ports or what. I can't rave enough about it, definitely my HG. Even my friends and husband have noticed the difference in my hair's appearance! The facts that it's really quiet AND cheap are huge bonuses. (Only bummer is that it's a tad heavy, but since it only takes me 5 minutes to dry and style thoroughly wet hair, I can't really complain.)

on 12/9/2004 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This is the best dryer I have ever used! I have thick, wavy hair and it always took forever to dry it. I try to let my hair air dry as much as I can (depending on how much time I have to get ready), and then I'll go over it w/ the dryer to get rid of the waves & frizz. I thought this dryer was going to be awkward to work with, but I love it, and it was only $20.

on 7/22/2004 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I really like this dryer. Mine recently knocked out for good so I decided to pick this one up. I have dry, kinky/wavy hair that is layered and I curl it under with a big brush (I wash and blow dry it every other day). With my old dryer it would take forever. It's so much quicker with this one.

My hair is left shiny and totally frizz free. I love how this makes my hair smooth while still keeping the fullness. Big rave from me on this one! :)

on 6/30/2004 4:03:00 PM

I'm so glad I have this! It seems to make my color-treated hair thicker and shinier. I don't see why anyone would pay $150 for a ion hairdryer when they could get this one for about $20. Will re-purchase.

on 4/15/2004 8:52:00 PM

Another great product from Conair which I love. This dryer does cut down drying and styling time, big time! Lends just enough shine and has a great filter system for getting rid of residue that builds up in the unit itself. I will always buy this product, great A++++++++++++

-Went from normal hair dryer to this dryer and there was a noticeable difference. My hair is much smoother.
-It comes w/ a nozzle.