The Body Shop Banana Shampoo

The Body Shop Banana Shampoo
Banana Shampoo

3.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Surfactant), Musa Paradisica (Banana) Fruit (Emollient/Lubricant), Glyceryl Hydroxystearate (Emollient), Lauramide DEA (Surfactant), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (Surfactant), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Panthenol (Skin/Hair Conditioning Agent), Polyquaternium-7 (Hair Conditioner), Stearic Acid (Emulsifier), Sodium Chloride (Viscosity Modifier), Methylparaben (Preservative), Fragrance (Fragrance), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Butylparaben (Preservative), Ethylparaben (Preservative), Isobutylparaben (Preservative), Propylparaben (Preservative), Ascorbic Acid (Antioxidant), Yellow 5 (Colour), Red 4 (Colour) [January 19, 2010]

on 7/26/2018 5:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this (stupidly) assuming it was sulfate free since the accompanying conditioner is silicone free, and in my head it makes sense that those two things go hand in hand. It's not sulfate free, but it still feels pretty gentle and non-stripping compared to many other shampoos. For the same reason it doesn't feel very overly drying on my naturally very dry hair. I think it works well together with the conditioner, although I think the conditioner is the better performer out of the two. The scent probably isn't for everyone, and I can see myself getting tired of it eventually, but I actually really like it so far. It smells like banana candy, rather than actual banana.

I try to steer away from sulfate shampoos as much as I can, but when I cheat, I do it for the lovely lather. And this shampoo doesn't lather very well despite the sulfate. I will definitely use it up, but I'm not sure I will repurchase it. I will probably stick with my beloved Lush shampoo bars as my "cheat" shampoo.

+ Cruelty free
+ Vegetarian
+ Gentle and non-drying for being a sulfate shampoo

- Doesn't lather that well
- I have to use quite a lot
- Scent can be a little bit much when paired with the conditioner

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This product is absolutely fantastic. When I was living in London, it was recommended to me. Over the years, I had forgotten about it -- and The Body Shop-- until I started searching for all natural products for my family. There it was, the Banana Shampoo and Conditioner with the addition of the hair mask. I use them together as a set and the result is hair that is nothing short of soft, shiny and pristine. Thank you Body Shop and PLEASE 1) never discontinue this and 2) come up with a spray or perfume of this amazing scent!

I love this shampoo, the smell is slightly banana, not too strong, but a delicious scent. I color my hair, and this shampoo does not strip the color, but makes my hair manageable. I have thick coarse hair, and does not dry my hair either. I follow with the conditioner....I use this daily.

on 6/15/2018 5:23:00 PM

I’ve been coming back to this for 20 years now! I first got it in my teens when I would spend hours at The Body Shop sniffing all the bottles. I 100% get it for the gorgeous smell - the formula itself is pretty basic to me, but sometimes that’s all I want. It neither strips my fine, long hair nor does it weigh it down. No bells and whistles, just a shampoo that gets your hair clean and smells great, especially in the summer.

This product works fine with my dry hair and I loved it when I just bought it. After a month of using it (more or less) I got really tired of the smell.

on 4/10/2017 4:10:00 AM

I brought this shampoo because it contains EDTA (chelating agent - it binds metal ions) - i live in a hard water area (contains a lot of calcium and magnesium ions) and over the last year my hair has felt awful, even straight after washing. I must say i have only used this once, but am delighted with it. My hair feels soft and feels the cleanest it has done in years!

If you live in a hard water area - this may be the one for you!

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

I bought the shampoo after reading a lot of positive reviews. Sadly, it wasn't for me. I have fine, wavy hair that isn't very dry and gets oily after 2 days. I love the smell of bananas so the smell was a positive although it doesn't last. I used the this shampoo and the conditioner from the same line. It completely stripped my hair and turned it into a straw-like tangled mess. This would work better for someone with very oily hair. I will surely not be purchasing again and plan to give mine away to a friend and hope she has better luck.

on 7/24/2016 7:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have short, fine-but-thick color-treated hair. This is a great shampoo for me because I don't want any silicones or "extra conditioners" as I don't need them.

Love the scent and EXPECIALLY love that it rinses quickly.

I end up using it as a body wash, too.

I have a sensitive scalp prone to bumps from many styling products and conditioners and I haven't had any problems with this shampoo.

on 7/9/2016 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This shampoo is too drying. I bought it by accident as it looks the same as the conditioner (which I adore).

It makes the hair so dry and frizzy. That in the end, I use it for weekly deep cleanse as my HG shampoo is TBS Rainforest and that is too gentle to remove buildup.

on 2/20/2016 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I bought this on sale at Christmas time due to the rave reviews by a youtuber. I'm glad I only paid $4 for this because it really is just a normal shampoo. It doesn't make my hair look or feel anything special and for the price -- I can get the Suave Moroccan Oil shampoo which makes my hair feel so soft and light. It does smell like bananas -- in a good way -- and that part is pleasant.