L'Oreal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Makeup SPF 17

L'Oreal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Makeup SPF 17

3.3

(2018 REFORMULATED)water, dimethicone, isododecane, cyclohexasiloxane, glycerin, PEG-10 dimethicone, methyl methacrylate crosspolymer, butylene glycol, synthetic fluorphlogopite, disteardimonium hectorite, hydroxyethylpiperazine ethane sulfonic acid,cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, sodium chloride, polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, hexyl laurate, caprylyl glycol, phenoxyethanol, disodium stearoyl glutamate, tocopherol, panthenol, aluminum hydroxide, hydroxyethyl urea, hydrated silica, methicone, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate....OLD FORMULA: Active: Titanium Dioxide (3.01) Inactive: Water, Isododecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Cyclohexasiloxane, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Isoeicosane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Hexyl Laurate, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Diazolidnyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopherol, Panthenol, Alumina, Methicone. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Mica, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 7, FIL B34903/3. (Taken from packaging, 12/2010, USA)

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Most people giving negative reviews do so because they were confused as to WHICH TONE TO CHOOSE. Understandable--L'oreal has added to confusion with poor marketing. Some of what follows may initially sound counter-intuitive, but read on, if you're looking for corrective foundation that blends seamlessly, because this line is miraculous, if you know how to use it.

If you have a cool skin tone you should NOT purchase a C (cool), unless you want to make your skin appear more pinkish; i.e., to enhance the cool tones. Typically, women with pinkish skin want to neutralize the reds. Applying a pink-toned (cool) foundation to already reddened areas, like the capillaries around the nose and other blemishes, will make them stand out even more, and will not give you a result you want people to see.

In my case, this is the first foundation I've found, ever since I started buying foundation ten years ago, that makes my ruddy complexion look completely naturally neutral, and even flawless. After I first bought it about 4 years ago, I was getting compliments for the first time in my life on how clear, smooth, young, healthy, creamy, etc., my skin looks.

I use W2 on my forehead and nose, and W1 on the rest of my face (because of the natural variation in my skin shade in those areas). In the end, I haven't altered the natural shades of my skin (*you should never try to alter your shade with foundation, it will always look awful; you can do that with tanning, though, if you wish), but I have successfully altered (neutralized) the TONES in my face, in order to make my complexion appear smooth and balanced. No splotches around my nose, no red at the outside corners of my eyes, any blushing I do later in the day will be tamed down. And because I use a warm (yellow) correcting concealer (Physician's Formula), the area around my eyes no longer looks blue (cool).

***(Keep in mind the differences in shade and tone; shade is something you never want to alter or enhance with foundation. Enhancing, neutralizing or minimizing TONE is the key to creating a complexion that appears completely healthy and natural.) <---This is why L'oreal making a variety of tones available (each in a wide variety of shades), in drug stores for the first time, in a whole line of products, is so so so neat. I think the only reason it hasn't is caught on is L'oreal SUCKS at providing clear, simple info to use for selecting tones.

(Fyi, since I don't have a warm complexion, I'm no longer speaking from my personal experience with what follows) ~~~ If you have a warm skin tone and WANT to play up the warmth in it, then try the foundation in Warm. If you want to neutralize those olive/yellow tones, try Cool. You can even try mixing C with N or W--they are very blendable. If you want to neither neutralize nor enhance your tone, I think this isn't the foundation for you, because it is medium-coverage. You're blessed with an even-toned face, so should choose one with lighter coverage.

What I'm trying to make clear here about differing-toned foundations is what people were trying to understand about concealers in the past, when green, blue, gray, yellow, and pale pink ones became popular (they were understood MUCH more quickly because companies listed uses for the various tones right on the package. L'oreal makes the explanation as elaborate and convoluted and backwards as possible. NUTS if they think the average customer can accurately pick a foundation based on which jewelry tones and clothing colors she feels flatter her (talk about subjective! And we who have no preference for gold or silver? Or think silver flatters us even though our mother tells us gold does?). L'oreal even brings eye color into the mix to confuse us more, which has only a weak correlation with skin tone in Caucasian individuals.

In summary:

C (and N to a lesser extent) will enhance cools tones (red, pink) & neutralize warm tones (olive, golden).

W will enhance warm tones (olive, golden) & neutralize cools (ruddy, blue).

N...is called "neutral", and it's, meh... leans towards cool. But if you buy an N, you can mix it with a bit of W to make a more true neutral.

This stuff stays on your face looking fresh all day long if you blot properly.

Who exactly is this meant to match? I dig the concept: L'Oreal is trying to jump on the Prescriptives bandwagon by recognizing that undertone is at least as important as "light or dark." The difference is that Prescriptives is a department store brand, so it's feasible to have lots and lots of options in stock. L'Oreal clearly had to cut corners, the result being that the "Warm" range jumps from W1 (Jaundiced Vampire) to W3 (Orange Julius). The consistency is runny, and True Match goes on like tempera paint.

I'd also point out that "exact match" makeup lines work because of the trained rep behind the counter. I know I have yellow undertones from being Color Matched and Color Me Beautifuled, but truly most girls I know would have no clue. And wearing "browns, oranges, and dark greens" (as suggested on the display) is not an exclusive or reliable indicator that you're a Warm. Fair-skinned Warms are sometimes washed out by colors that dark and have an entirely different palette.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Let me just say this: I loved this foundation so much that I shot off an email to L'Oreal!

Keep in mind here folks, I have used $110 foundations in my professional artistry. This product (for around $10!) is impressive.

For all of you mentioning a chalky look, I can only surmise that you weren't really in the write color family. (I'm thinking Gold toned skin using Pink-based foundation.) Anyhow, I recommend using this product with the loose powder L'Oreal makes, rather than the pressed powder from this same "True Match" line. Now THAT product would result in a chalky look! The consistancy is just all wrong on that.

The liquid foundation performs tremendously. Also, if any of you have found it chalky, try that same color, but purchase an additional bottle one shade deeper (same color family--i.e, Warm, Neutral or Cool) and try mixing a bit into the base color you initially used. That may solve your problem.

Anyhow, I think it's great that such a good product comes so very cheaply and is accessible to so many.

Thanks L'Oreal!
Kevin B. Shields, Principal Artist, Freelance Makeup Artistry, Louisvlle, Kentucky. kevbshields@yahoo.com

on 10/1/2012 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

This will be long but hopefully help someone else trying to figure out which color may be best suited to them and whether they even want to bother purchasing.

For reference I was colormatched to MAC Matchmaster in 2.0 which, according to MAC's foundation chart, is equivalent to MAC Studio Fix NW 20 (light-medium)

My skin is: neutral beige with pink undertones
NW = neutral warm (80% pink, 20% yellow)

The debate as to what constitutes "warm" and "cool" rages all over the internet. What I discerned (and of course I may be wrong) is this:

For MAC ONLY:

warm undertones - are pink/red

cool undertones - are yellow/golden

APART FROM MAC it goes the opposite:

warm undertones - are yellow/golden

cool undertones - are pink/red

Reason being (purportedly), MAC uses the color wheel to allocate colors a "tonal" quality and evidently on a color wheel pink/red is considered "warm"? I.E. a fire (hot) glows red.

COLOR: L'Oreal True Match Super-blendable, Oil-free Natural Beige, W4 matches my skin on 10.1.12 perfectly. Sand Beige, W5 gives the tiniest of whitish tints to my skin. Perhaps if deeper in to winter the W4 begins looking “orange-y” on me I’ll need to use that color. Which is interesting considering W5 is supposedly a bit darker than W4! I suppose W5 has more pink undertones to it (making it whiter on my skin) and the W4 has more yellow ones.

LOOKS ON SKIN: Like the Maybellin Dream Liquid Mousse that I also use, this does do a wonderful job of blurring my pores and evening out my skin tone without looking or it feeling like I have a mask on my face. When I say the color matches my skin perfectly it DOES! I tested this on my face in front of a large window on a bright, sunny day.

OIL CONTROL?: I have oily skin and this wears very well. In terms of oil control, I feel this has a slight edge over the Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse I use. I set with e.l.f. HD Powder as well as a tinted pressed powder but only a light dusting of each. I don't have gobs of makeup on nor does it look or feel that way.

YMMV. It works for me and I'm happy dancing to have finally found a foundation that I can call my own!

MY OTHER FOUNDATION CHOICES/COLORS:

Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse in Nude, Light 4 matches my skin on 10.1.12 perfectly. Nude Beige, Light 3.5 gives the tiniest of whitish tints to my skin. Perhaps if deeper in to winter the #4 begins looking “orange-y” on me I’ll need to use 3.5. Sandy Beige, Medum 1 is too orange-y: perhaps when my face is tan?

Revlon Colorstay ("CS") LIQUID Combination/Oily Skin (not with Soft Flex!) – 180 - Sand Beige (just a wee bit too light)

Revlon CS LIQUID Combination/Oily Skin (WITH Soft Flex) – 220 - Natural Beige (matches my skin if not 100% very, very close)

Revlon CS LIQUID Combination/Oily Skin (WITH Soft Flex) – 240 - Medium Beige (seems to match the Mac Matchmaster 2.0 best)

Revlon CS WHIPPED - 200 - Sand Beige

Revlon Beyond Natural Skin Matching Makeup – 220 - Light-Medium

Happy Hunting - good luck to all! :)

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

Let's get the negative out of the way first: L'Oréal has quietly reformulated this foundation. I checked, and this reformulation has occurred straight across the shade board. Sure, as ever the ingredients are listed on the bottles themselves - so legally, they are covered. But as of October 2018, still no reflection of this complete ingredient revamp on L'Oréal's own website's product page. Not surprisingly, retailers likewise do not reflect the reformulation - likely because they aren't aware of it. With allergies, acne, eczema, & other prevalent skin issues, this omission was & continues to be ill-advised. Of course I've updated the ingredients here.

The recent ingredient change has been contemporaneous with the foundation's shade expansion to what is now an impressive 45 shades, & L'Oréal's subsequent sending PR to YouTubers, who have been raving about this foundation. Commenters would remark that they tried True Match in the past, for some reason didn't like it, gave it another go because of the video, & love it now. I also tried it years ago, loved the match, but hated the formulation. This gave me pause: is all this new love simply explained by the nearly 15 year-old foundation being reintroduced to the fickle public focused on what's new, or is there something different about True Match? After all, the packaging itself hasn't changed at all.

So I checked it out in-store. Lo & behold ... totally different ingredients.

Dimethicone as the now-second ingredient made me cringe a bit because I am acne-prone. But since my only problem in the past with this foundation wasn't the match (which was amazing!) but the shiny finish, I got over my annoyance of what's explained above & picked up a bottle of W1. I have NC5-10 skin that is not easy to match & wasn't about to pass on the opportunity for a jackpot neck-match that also looks good *all at the very same time*.

Verdict: I love this new formulation. Still matches great. None of that old unflattering, sweaty-looking shine. Consistency is still thin & runny, but it covers more. It does build without caking. Finish is natural & gives you that poreless look - at least medium coverage. Very oil-controlling. I would compare True Match as it is now with Estée Lauder Double Wear (56 shades) - which sadly breaks me out. Which brings me to my next point ...

Breakouts: zero. If my skin hates a foundation, a zit starts forming that night. Well, NO breakouts after 3 days in a row of wear.

My excitement about this foundation's improvement is a bit spoiled by L'Oréal's continued omission of its big changes. I've suggested an ingredient update to them on Twitter & am mentioning it here. Come on, guys: cop to it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

To be honest, I got this product because of the tiny packaging and because it was on sale. It was so tiny so I thought it might be good for traveling. After trying it, I fell in love and now it has become my everyday foundation. However features like packaging and color selection does go under both good and bad characteristics so please read on for further detail.
THE GOOD THINGS about this foundation are the color selection, blendability, the comfort, packaging and application. This foundation has a massive range of shades. They are clearly labeled, cool, neutral or warm so you will be able to tell which is which. This foundation blends seamlessly so you don't have to worry about blending problems. It takes minimum effort for it to look good. The product is quite runny so it helps with the blendability but if you are not a fan of runny foundations, I would not recommend this product to you. By comfort, I mean how the foundation feel on your face. It is very light weight. Not to the point to where you won't feel it but it will feel almost like a tinted moisturizer. I actually went to a theme park in Florida, in late June, wearing this foundation. It did not annoy me with drippiness and yuckiness that other foundations have given me in the past. The most obvious positive thing about this product is the compact packaging. This is great for traveling. It holds as much as average foundations yet it is so much smaller. It also isn't cheap or thin packaging either. My favorite way of applying this foundation is with the MAC 187 brush. It is really easy to apply and it really looks natural on your skin. I does not look cakey at all. You can really achieve that air-brushed finish with by this application.

THE BAD THINGS about this foundation are the color selection and the coverage. The color selection is good as well as bad because you really have to know what they mean by cool, neutral, or warm. The neutral shades do have quite a bit of pink in them so if you are really yellow undertoned or have a olive-y complexion like me, you'll just look really weird with the neutral. If you go for the warm, it'll be perfect. I have not tried the cool because I know that I will never reach for a pink-undertone foundation so I'd rather not waste my money but seeing that the neutral is quite pink, the cool must be quite good for you lovely pink-undertoned ladies :) The packaging is also getting a bad characteristic mark because it does not come with a pump. Most drugstore foundations do not come with a pump so we can let it go but really, open mouthed bottles like that are really hard to control with liquid products like the l'oreal true match. It also can get very messy.

TO SUM IT UP, this product is well worth the money. This is my everyday foundation as I've said and I am so glad to have found this. I want to buy this in numerous shades, not only to fit all my color changed between seasons but also to contour and highlight as well.

I will definitely repurchase this product.

on 3/15/2013 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This foundation USED to be a staple of mine quite a few years ago. Then--as my skin matured, I started using high-end foundations. However, my daughter used this when she lived at home. OK..so about a month ago, I was cleaning out her stuff and came across a full bottle of this that she left home. It was the same "color" that I used C-3. Now--let me explain what made me start using this again. I purchased one of those blendy-sponges and noticed that I was using a bit more foundation with the sponge and I didn't want to waste the high end stuff. So anyway, I figured I would give it a go. Again. WOW! Why was a being such a foundation snob? After using this with the blendy sponge, I was really happy with how dewy this foundation looked on my dry skin. Amazed, in fact. I forgot about how great this foundation was--it DOES NOT OXIDIZE!!! And at less than ten bucks at my local Wegman's, what a steal! The blending is great--doesn't cake up--and I'll tell you, over the primer, it is smooth and silky. It's nice when you re-discover an item--especially one that will save tons of money.
High end foundations shove over, I went back to my little drugstore brand and am now happy I'm back!
Seriously--especially for "older and more mature" skin--try this...use one of those blendy sponges...it really makes a difference. I think you will be pleasantly surprised--and the savings mean more $$ for shoes!

on 8/27/2011 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I really love this foundation and always go back to it. I have used many others in the past (Colorstay, MAC, Estea Lauder, Makeup Forever, etc.) but ALWAYS come back to my HG product.

I use the W7 Caramel Beige and adore the consistency. Also, due to the vitamins in it, it has really helped my skin as well and after overhauling my skincare routine, my once (so I thought) oily acne prone skin turned into wonderful glowing skin with that moist, velvety look. My skin care routine is:

1. Remove makeup with Ponds Cream every night. Rub it on, use a kleenex to wipe off.
2. Wet washcloth with HOT water, let sit over face for a few seconds and wipe
3. Wash face off with Olay Pore Perfecting scrub.
4. Use Neutrogena Toner (or any toner with glycolic acid)
5. Put on Serum first so it sinks in the skin, currently using Avon Instant lift (thank gawd I can still get this on ebay, whew!)
6. Put on Neutrogena sheer touch sunblock SPF 55
7. Pour a dime size amount of True Match foundation W7 in hand, and then put a dime size amount of Olay Hydrating fluid (original formula) in hand.
8. Blend the two and rub all over my face and down the neck to moisturize and cover. (this will look heavy at first but remember to apply like a moisturizer and it will sink in...effect=beautiful skin)
9. Top off with Maybelline shine free loose powder and I'm good for the day! :) Might have to blot once at 5 before leaving for home.

Tips:

Application of Foundation:
When I mix this foundation with my moisturiser and apply, it allows the foundation to sink into my skin and the effect is amazing....I mean absolutely poreless to the point that women approach me each day to find out what I do. Another wonderful thing is that you can really blend this in with minimal effort, it's like applying moisturizer with more coverage than a tinted one. Also, make sure to really rub it in like a moisturizer, at first it will appear like to much, but as it sinks in, the effect is flawless!

Sunscreen:

Also, always use sunscreen...and yes, to women of color, that means you too! Not only does it protect but it also will help minimize those brown spots and scars.

Nightime products:

Glycolic acid. This will exfoliate, unplug pores and help skin cell turnover to get those spots and wrinkles off the face faster. Exp...I'm 32 and keep getting carded...maximum age guess was 26..I'll take it! :)

Order to apply products:

To get the best out of your products, always apply in this order after cleansing:

Serum, Sunscreen, Moisturizer (or foundation mixed with moisturizer)
This order will allow maximum benefits for your serum to work on deeper layers of your skin, you sunscreen to be absorbed better and the moisturizer to seal everything in.

Additional Benefits:

It does not break me out or cause any reaction, and my skin has truly benefited from me using it. My acne scars have faded to the point that I can sometimes go without makeup.

Twist top vs. Pump:

Also, what I see here alot is concern with the bottle not having a pump. For me, I adore that there is no pump. I'm always on the road, work 16 hour days and also have to sometimes get ready in the gym and not at home. Having a twist off without a pump is wonderful because I don't have to worry about spillage and I can just throw it in my purse and go, where with pumps...they have always become unlocked and there I am cleaning out my purse wasting money and unused product everywhere.

Recommendation:

All in all, I would recommend this to women with normal to oily skin and also suggest that if your face is becoming an oil slick, change up your routine........alot of times the oil is a reaction to using too many harsh cleansers that strip the skin causing the oil to overproduce to make up for the shortage the cleansing caused and use a seperate makeup remover, then cleanse....also incorporate glycolic acid. You will break out in the first 2-3 weeks, but that is your skin purging (it takes about 3 weeks for a zit to emerge), but after that get ready for the best controlled skin of your life! :)

on 1/12/2011 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Yes, I will be saving myself alot of money ... Until atleast loreal decides to discontinues this product lol... But on with the review I have been using this for about a month.. No breakouts, or oiliness ... The color match is beautiful. I am a nc 37-40 in Mac .. I got the color n6 and powder in n4.. This foundation is runny but the coverage is medium to full.. It is kinda like mufe hd but better..I would recommend this to a person with oily or combination skin.. And if you have dry skin moisturize will otherwise it can look caking.. If you can find you shade in this foundation you will never need another trust me.. I'm sure I will be saving atleast 200 dollars a year:))
So go out and try it if you don't like it you can always return it but make sure of the store policy beforehand... Hope this helps
Mufe hd 153
Mac nc37-40
Shisheido ochre 60
True match n6 powder n4
Maybelline matte honey beige
Maybelline fit me 310 sun beige
Revlon colorstay warm golden
Nars sheer glow Stromboli/Barcelona
Estee lauder double wear shell beige
Bobbi brown 5 honey

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Was this luck or was this expertise...you be the judge, folks!! I saw the commercial for new True Match foundation that offered very natural and perfectly matching shades--24 of them, in fact. I was impressed and rather curious. I went to their website to see what shade would be best for me. The interactive video took me step-by-step asking me what skin tone and what undertone I had and how I would normally apply the makeup, whether it was just for trouble areas or for all over coverage. When it was over, the recommended shade was Caramel Beige (W7-Warm Level 7)...Hmmm, I think I'm some sort of Caramel shade, but Beige? I've never been some sort of shade of Beige. Oh well OK, I could deal with it, so I wrote it down, stuffed it in my purse and went to bed. The next day I decided to take care of some errands during my lunch hour, including picking up the foundation. Time was short, but I figured I could pull it off. Well, got to the nearby drugstore, minutes running out to dash in and to dash out with the foundation along with a few odds and ends. Ladies, I don't recommend this unless you're in to get your tried and true makeup items, not to try out new stuff--too little time! I didn't even test the stuff like i'm supposed to, but hey, I'm sure the website's recommendation was right, right? And it was the last bottle on the shelf in my recommended shade. WHAT LUCK!Well, I got home, washed off, and decided to give the foundation a try. First I dotted it on my face--hmmm, awfully pale just looking at it in comparison to my skin tone. I smoothed it on my skin, it applied very well, except for one thing. It looked like I was whitewashing my face! The shade was too pale. OMG, OMG! Totally wrong! Waste of money, I thought. I gave out a sigh of depression, and decided to go about doing some stuff around the house, kinda wallowing in my defeat. Some minutes later, I walked back into the bathroom ready to wash off the white mask on my face only to my great astonishment that my skin was now "normal" and beautiful! Not like some Kabuki theatrical artist! My face looked wonderful, glowing, but not greasy, metallic, or glittery looking, it unified my overall skin tones and deflected and diminished the trouble spots on my face. My face looked three dimensional and not flat. I looked at myself in all forms of light including bright sunlight for the true test for glitter particles which i truly hate, and not one hint of looking freakish! It felt OK, not awfully heavy or greasy even with my oily complexion, just needed a blotting sheet mid-day and the color didn't turn ashy or disappear. I wish the bottle was a little bit wider because it would tip over time and again and wish it was a little more elegant looking--it's too clinical looking, even more importantly I wish ALL foundations would come in plastic container for safety's sake! I wish the formulation would actually set faster to avoid that 'Kabuki Whitewash' phase before setting to the look of glowing, beautiful, real-looking skin. The glow was just right, I didn't look like a discoball, and if I needed a more finished look, I applied a light dusting of ZA New York's pressed powder--Ah perfection! The price is great, definitely affordable, and I'm always happy the L'Oreal line is just a heartbeat behind from their more pricey counterpart, Lancome, with all their new products. I've decided this foundation is not my HG just yet for the little reasons above, but still a remarkable quality product for the price and look. As for the question of Luck or (L'Oreal's) Expertise, go figure ladies...YOU DECIDE!