LUSH Retread

LUSH Retread

3.5

LOVE this conditioner, use it all the time on my wavy, dry ombré color treated hair & nothing gives me results like this. Tip: I dillute it with water to avoid it makes my hair oily or sticky.

oh my god. oh my god. this conditioner like, saved my hair's life. not even joking.
my hair is incredibly damaged. years and years of box dye, bleach, and a bad experience with $3 henna from the cash and carry have left my once-curly hair a total wreck. when I went in for the big chop (ish, I went from shoulder length to an ear-length bob), the stylist described the texture as "gummy". yeah.
I talked to a friend who works at lush and she recommended this, but I didn't want to shell out sooo much money for it so picked up a cheaper conditioner and a sample of this.
once I ran out of the other I used the sample til I could get to the store and am I ever glad I did.
now mind you, my hair is not back to its pre-damage self - my top layer is still fried, however it is now so soft and so shiny, and my new hair is so curly and so beautiful that I find myself just admiring it in the mirror. I was considering cutting it again to get rid of that top layer but no more!
when they said this was for hair repair, they really weren't joking. sure the smell isn't my absolute favorite but it's not bad either, and to be honest it works so well I wouldn't care if it smelled like old shoes.

long story short - if your hair is damaged, this is so so so worth the money.

To Read all 166 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/16/2016 7:07:00 AM

I am 100% sure that of this thing didn't have sulfate it would work way better.
Its just ok. You actually have to use a lot and it doesnt soften at all.

Ill keep using it for a week or two, and then Im returning it to get a couple Shea Moisture products.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

My regular conditioner works better than this, let alone a deep conditioner.... Smells disgusting, like mown grass that's turned to compost. I've tried leaving o for differing times between 3 minutes - 30 minutes, to no avail. Doesn't detangle, or soften, or smooth my hair, if anything it makes it feel more coarse and smell like crap. Also, for long thick hair the jar would maybe last 3-4 uses....

on 3/11/2016 3:04:00 PM

I used this conditioner a lot back when i had a major lush obsession. Recently purchased again and i forgot how much you need to rinse this conditioner out! If you dont wash it all out it can leave your hair feeling a little waxy and unclean. Scent is good and I would repurchase as it does work nicely!

on 3/4/2016 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm quite surprised to see the amount of people who dislike this conditioner. The one thing that I don't quite like about it is the scent. I couldn't describe it if you put a gun to my head, but it's just not very pleasant. I don't find that it lingers though, so it's not too big of an annoyance. Oh, and the price is what makes me just buy this every once and a while. With hair as thick as mine, you'll go through the tub way too fast for it to be financially responsible to buy this over and over again as a student. The middle sized tub (245g) is £11.25 in the UK (where I sometimes order from), but £15.30 (185SEK) in Sweden. Other than that, it's a great pick me up for dry and damaged hair. I paired this with the Rehab shampoo when my hair was basically down and out, and it got my hair back in the game again. Since then I've been using better hair products overall, and my hair hasn't gotten that bad again. But it's a perfect cure to bring in when your hair is in serious need of some intense care.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I have been repurchasing this conditioner for the past 3 years. I really love it. My hair is wavy/curly and long, down to my bellybutton, and this conditioner is the only one I've tried that moisturises my hair and makes it super soft and manageable.

Pros:
- the best conditioner I have ever used on my hair. Really brought it back to life after 4 years of stupidly straightening the crap out of my hair when I was a teenager.
- does have bad ingredients like I've mentioned in the cons. However it contains no silicones or the majority of horrible ingredients you find in regular conditioners.
- I wash my hair every 4 days and the smell of this conditioner lasts until the next time I wash my hair.
- softens hair and makes it more manageable. If I stopped using this conditioner I would struggle to even brush my hair.
- LUSH are cruelty-free!

Cons:
- I don't like a couple of the ingredients. LUSH put SLS and parabens in this conditioner and I think it's totally unnecessary.
- the product is not consistent in terms of the texture. By this I mean that when repurchasing this product I have sometimes ended up with a product that is too lumpy or too runny. I have to check the jars in store to make sure it's the right texture.
- I don't like the packaging. LUSH's American Cream conditioner is in a bottle and I wish this conditioner was too. It can get messy if you're not careful and I've had jars of this which have leaked product before.
- I wish it was cheaper.
- you really need to make sure it is all properly rinsed out, else it leaves your hair with a weird waxy texture. This conditioner is not thick and does not feel like regular store bought conditioners so I think it's a bit more difficult to tell when it's all rinsed out.

I am looking for a new conditioner that is cruelty-free, contains no harmful ingredients and also works really well for my hair. However until then I will obviously repurchase this.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Before I brought this product online, I had placed it on a pedestal high enough that it could have collided with the Hubble space telescope. I spent hours upon hours researching this white goop in a bucket, not wanting to spend $31.90 of my paper run money on fairy tales and fibs.

I will try to give you a brief background on my nasty, unruly hair that resembles a lions mane. Two years ago, during the summer holidays, I decided that my natural hair colour of mousy brown, lightened by the sun a little bit, was too plain and boring for the wild, outgoing person that I was supposed to transform into when school started, so I dyed my hair purple. Then red. Then red again. Then auburn, since I was told off at school for being a rebel with a weird hair colour. I kept it auburn for a while, before the damage I had caused became too much for me to handle, so I doused everything in dark brown. Then blonde, since I wanted my natural colour back and something in my twisted, hopeful mind told me that bleaching would help reverse time and give me a lovely honey brown. Only my roots were lightened, so I dyed it dark brown again.

Now, with the hair dye faded out and with plans to put henna in my hair, I am left with crackling, crunchy hair that is the colour of the planet Mars and the feel of sandpaper. You could make an instrument out of my hair, it's so brassy. My hair is a straw cloud, it refuses to lie flat.

With my poor bleached locks on their last legs, about a year ago I turned to low sulfate, no silicone products to wash my hair. Of course, Lush has sulfates, but I thought I'd give it a go since all their products seem to get great reviews. Needless to say, I no longer use Lush hair care and my credit card is $48.80 lighter.

I wasn't blown away by the smell of Retread, nor was I too happy with the size of the product when considering how much I paid for it. I cannot stress this enough, nor will I write a whole paragraph on it, but please go and look at the products before you buy them! I almost brought another whole heap of Lush products to try but I was either gagging in the store due to the smell or had my mouth hanging open as I saw how small it was. Be a smart spender! Get a sample!

To be truthful, the smell didn't bother me but it isn't the most pleasant thing. I can see why some people find it repulsive. After scooping out a small handful about the size of your average strawberry and working it into my hair, it felt like I had put nothing on. I left it on for fifteen minutes and rinsed it out. To people who have just come off silicone conditioners, don't be surprised when your hair doesn't feel silky and smooth when washing out the conditioner. It's normal for products that don't contain silicone!

My hair took longer than normal to dry after this. I noticed straight away that my hair, which is usually wavy and poofy, was drying into ringlet curls. This is my natural hair, and this conditioner helped to define it. Perhaps I wouldn't keep brushing them out if they didn't look split and broken, and weren't soft to the touch. My hair was sort of shiny but not smooth looking. I used this conditioner alongside Daddy-O, which is what I think gave me the faint shine since this conditioner did absolutely nothing else.

This conditioner did not help repair any of my damage. That's fair enough though, since my hair has taken a heck of a beating. I noticed that my roots were getting oily far too quickly, along with the parts of my hair that aren't as damaged. Those bits felt weighed down and heavy, although not smooth. They didn't seem very moisturised, which was strange. If I ran my finger along them, they still felt incredibly rough. Exactly the same as before. My hair was still a straw cloud, just now a more curly straw cloud.

I've been using this conditioner for about a month with no improvements. The moral of the story is that if your hair is damaged beyond compare and you think that this is some sort of miracle product that will cure everything, you're wrong! Sorry, I thought that too. Sometimes, the best cure are the scissors. I'm getting my hair cut next week. If your hair is slightly damaged or you want it to be as flat as a board, give this a go if you're willing to part with the money.

I still have back up plans for reviving my hair. Like I mentioned above, I'm getting a good few inches of it cut. I highly recommend the brand Biologika - I've used their coconut shampoo and conditioner once on my hair and I loved it, almost to the point of reconsidering my haircut. It made my curls soft and bouncy, and more defined than what Retread could muster up. Sulfate and silicone free. Very moisturising. Also, I'll be turning down the temperature in my shower so that my hair doesn't continue to be scorched, and might start plaiting it before I go to sleep, if it's long enough!

on 11/29/2015 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was expecting great things from this conditioner but was left feeling rather disappointed...

It is rather thin for a deep conditioner and didn't detangle my curly hair as well as I was hoping. The smell is also not very pleasant.

I developed a nasty scalp rash after using this conditioner in combination with Curly Wurly shampoo. The two did make my curls look good, so I was sad about the rash.

At first my hair wasn't used to sulfate free conditioner so I thought it wasn't good because my hair didn't have that (slimy) conditioner feel but after I got out of the shower and brushed my hair I had no tangles! My hair was so glossy the next day. It's my HG product now.