Aquolina Pink Sugar

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Aquolina Pink Sugar

3.8

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Embarrassingly, Pink Sugar is the fragrance that took me a little bit of time to "get". After my not so stellar first impression, I sampled this again, and it really grew on me. The key is to not over-apply and not judge it based on the initial burnt quality (which I presume is due to the licorice note). This is now one of my favorites and one of the few fragrances that I crave! I suppose it's not unlike cotton candy itself - you know it's unhealthy, super sweet, and overindulgent, but its delicious, nostalgic aroma beckons you from several feet away and you simply can't resist. You must have a large, warm, freshly spun, fluffy, pink cloud of cotton candy for yourself. I think what hooked me is the radiance given off by this fragrance - the scent bubble is intoxicating, and in my opinion, smells even better than the way the fragrance smells directly on your skin. The cotton candy, vanilla, and caramel predominate, but surprisingly, I can detect every single note in the description, maybe with the exception of the Lily of the Valley.

This is actually quite a remarkable fragrance and more complex than people give it credit for. It manages to evoke the smell of cotton candy, as well as its temperature, taste, texture, and even color. This might sound melodramatic and lovers of the classic Chanels and Guerlains will scoff, but this fragrance is truly a sensory masterpiece. The projection is outstanding, especially for an EDT (so go easy), and I love that I can still smell it on myself the next day.

On a side note, I find it bothersome that many people (myself included) become irritated by the description, "smells like old lady," but some of those same people would likely have no problem calling this fragrance, "teenage", "for little girls", "immature", or "not to be taken seriously." Ageism is ageism, folks. We all like the fragrances we like. Age shouldn't factor into it.

on 9/30/2009 4:22:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I love this stuff and I'm sure I always will no matter how old I get. I've almost gone through a full size bottle in less than a year and I will definitely buy it again. I don't think it smells childish or anything like that. The musk blends with the sweet notes perfectly on me. I get SO many compliments on it. But even if I didn't, I would wear it anyway because I care more about what I think than what others think. :)

on 6/10/2008 7:43:00 PM

First of all, I want to make sure everybody understands that this is a STRICTLY PERSONAL opinion and therefore, not meant to offend anyone. This sucks. I don't understand what the fuss is all about. It smells like cotton candy. Seeing as how it's such a success, I tried it several times, but I always go Yuck! When I see every single teeny-bopper that comes into Sephora make a bee-line for it, I think 'figures.' I'm glad it works for so many people. But it's not for me. Too girly. Too candy-like. Too cute. I'll stick to Serge Lutens.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

So, remember when you were a little kid and you could never get enough sugar, and candy was the best thing of all time ever? And then remember that time some grown-up--maybe a grandparent or a great-aunt or something--offered you a piece of candy and you got all excited...only then to discover that the "candy" in question was actually a plug of some gross rooty old black licorice? Remember how utterly devastating and upsetting that was?

...Yeah. This has got to be the cruellest bait-and-switch in all perfumery.

When you first take a sniff of it in the bottle or the vial, it presents itself as a sweet little riff on ethyl maltol, the "cotton candy" (or "candyfloss" for you Brits out there) aromachemical. It smells great: like spun sugar and carmelized sugar and various vanillaish things and maybe just a bit of red berry. It's a smell that goes straight to whatever part of the limbic system it is that houses your proverbial inner child, and that seems perfectly designed to get that inner child all excited, like a little kid just entering the fairgrounds. Cotton candy! Cotton candy and CARAMEL! Candycandycandycandycandy!!! Yaaaaaay!

Then you make the mistake of spraying it or dabbing some on, and all of a sudden this enormous black licorice and melted plastic hybrid--this unspeakable BEAST--rears up out of nowhere, roaring and rampaging and trampling you underfoot until you're left rocking back and forth, wailing in horror like Nancy Kerrigan after she took one to the knee. "Why? Why??? WHY???!!??"

Seriously, what did they DO to that poor ethyl maltol to make it smell like that? And what could the poor ethyl maltol possibly have done to deserve such treatment?

On the plus side, at least now I know what that black licorice fragrance I've been smelling everywhere for the past couple of years is. It never even occurred to me that it might be Pink Sugar. I'd been assuming that it was, I dunno, Lolita Lempicka or something -- you know, something that is *known* for its licorice note -- because seriously, who would guess that a fragrance called "Pink Sugar" and marketed with all of that pink fluffy cotton candy imagery would actually turn out to smell like a plug of some thick rooty old black licorice? Not I, that's for sure. Crazy old world, innit?

Crazy old world...and a *very* cruel perfume.

on 11/7/2014 5:56:00 PM

OK I am middle aged so marketing says I should not like this - I love it. It is sweet like marshmallow fluff with caramel sauce and candy floss. I would not like this in high summer but in the depths of winter it reminds me of summers at the fairground and that makes me smile. So the marketers can go to hang. I am wearing this with pride.

on 12/11/2012 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Fun and a little naughty to wear but MOST definitely something you want to sample before buying, because the licorice and intense sweetness will turn a lot of people off.
Notes: Bergamot, Sicilian orange, fig leaves, lily, liquorice blossom, red fruits, vanilla, caramel, woodsy and musky notes.
Pink Sugar opens like a plump pillowy piece of sugary-sweet toasted marshmallow with all the brown and caramelized bits thrown in (courtesy of the dark tarriness of liquorice). Then it slowly softens into a cotton candy and bakery scent, with faint traces of fruit flavoring. In the far drydown, I detect a light powdered-sugar musk on my skin.

Surprisingly good lasting power and great projection/sillage for an EDT. This outlasted other sweet scents like Fantasy, Can Can, and Comptoir Sud Pacifique vanillas.
Id resist the urge to spray on too much because it seems some peoples noses get used to it and they don't notice how strong it can be to others.
P.S. Labeling a scent and its lovers "juvenile" or "old-lady" based on its smell is culturally-subjective and more than a bit close-minded, not to mention nonconstructive for the people trying to decide if they should try a product. It's either your taste or not.
Alternatives:
Body Fantasies Cotton Candy Fantasy - brighter, stronger strawberry
Gale Hayman Delicious Cotton Candy - a little strong on the bergamot/citrus. Resembles a more plasticky Eau de Shalimar.
L de Lolita Lempicka - emphasizes the orange, sugary-vanilla and slight spice tones of Pink Sugar; no cotton candy or burnt notes.

on 5/4/2008 9:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

My boyfriend went out with me and bought this for my birthday in Sephora last night. I have had my eye on this perfume for a while now, ever since I sprayed it on my wrist a few months ago. The scent is so warm and comforting that I just couldn't stop taking a sniff every few minutes of my wrist, and what's great about it is that it lingers for ages, and each time you smell it, you get a hint of something a little different. In my opinion, this scent is not for little girls at all. It's gourmand, yes, but it is extremely complex. I think it's more for anyone who is young at heart, and loves the scent of all things sweet, warm, and cozy. Two sprays maximum is the best way to use this fragrance, because it lasts so great and is best when used in moderation. I spray once on my neck and blend it behind my ears, and once on my wrist and rub them together. This is plenty enough. I'm also sensitive to many scents, but this does not give me headaches at all, and does not irritate my skin. Pink Sugar lasts me up until I wash it off in the shower, and during the day it doesn't stay sickly strong. It dulls a bit, just so that it is like a 'glowy warmth' on my skin. There's always someone who turns around and says, "what is that smell?", and guys really do love it. On my skin, it's like warm caramel with notes of cotton candy and licorice. The scent changes sometimes though, so I never get tired of it. My grandfather wanted to go and buy it for his wife, my dad couldn't stop smelling the bottle, and my boyfriend is so picky... But after smelling Pink Sugar on me, he said, "Wow. That stuff really does smell good." And with that said, he kept smelling me. Haha. He has never said that about any other perfume he has smelled or that I have worn. The bottle is also cute. It comes in almost a cardboard tube that is decorated the same way as the bottle; baby pink swirls on white canvas. It is easy to manage and I'd gladly put it out on my dresser for show. For a perfume, it's also pretty cheap. So, with that said, I'd go out and buy Pink Sugar again when my bottle runs out. I have a feeling that it will take a while since you only need so little product, but I definitely will.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I adore this fragrance, wear it everyday, and I'm well over 30. I sense an age-bias forming around this fragrance and encourage women to consider the scent for itself. To me Pink Sugar is a bit more sophisticated and unusual than the average vanilla fragrance -- citrus and sweet candy top notes, warm vanilla and caramel in the dry down. I recommend wearing the scent, rather than just smelling the spray, before you make up your mind since the combo of notes may work differently on your skin. For me, the fragrance lasts all day and doesn't seem to bother friends and coworkers who are sensitive to fragrance. Others comment that the scent makes them want to get closer to me, some even try ... Fortunately, my SO also finds this scent irresistible (And he is, gasp, over 40). For my money, Pink Sugar can be a fun, flirty, sexy, grown-up girly-girl scent. I've already purchased 3 bottles of the 3 oz. size and will certainly replace my current bottle when I've finished.

on 9/30/2016 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Omg this stuff is so strong. I am not a person who believes in one spray is enough with perfumes. But one spray is enough with this one. Too much has given me a headache and nausea, it's unreal how strong it is. Will definitely offend people so please don't over-do it. Also don't spray near you face it will be all you smell and it will get really annoying. Smells like cotton candy and sugar, very very girly and young. When it's been on a while it kind of smells like marshmellows which is my fav part. Very cozy and a cool weather perfume. Also you get a lot of liquid for the price.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My favorite perfume of all time!! If I could only own 1 perfume this would be the 1. HG!!!!

Popular Fragrances