Aquolina Pink Sugar

3.5

on 12/15/2016 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Upon looking through my massive bag of perfume samples, I was rather surprised to find an unused sample bottle of Pink Sugar lying in the heap. Maybe I had tucked it away in fear that it would invoke the memories of middle school and my horrifically awkward loser past self. Well alright, honestly not much has changed since then, but still, I like to convince myself that that's not true... Anyway, all I remember is that every girl in the "in" crowd doused themselves in this stuff and I was envious of them, in a sense: they were so popular and attractive and feminine, while I just couldn't muster up the courage to even try out typical girl stuff.

Now here I am, a slave to consumerism and maybe a bit too well-versed in the world of makeup, fragrance, skincare, fashion, etc. But I'm kind of happy with that! And with my vast expertise, I can finally declare: Pink Sugar is freakin' disgusting! I can't believe I actually looked up to this scent. Now all I think about when I get a whiff of this stuff is how outdated it smells, to be honest. It needs to be exiled to the previous decade and never allowed to leave. Not only that, but this scent as a whole just smells awfully cheap.

As much as I do not prefer to wear gourmands that often, I can still appreciate a good one, and Pink Sugar is not one of them - at least on my skin. On the first whiff, I don't get any of the fruity, fresh top notes; on me, it's an overpowering chemically, bitter licorice. It's actually so strong it almost smells like something's burning around you. As it transitions into the middle notes, I can only detect one-dimensional cotton candy - and it's still mixed in with that awful licorice. No promised fruit notes here, just boring sweets. And finally, the drydown is predominantly creamy caramel, sandalwood, and vanilla that's - surprise, surprise - an artificial, heartless, chemically concoction. And that stupid licorice is STILL hanging around until the end.

I've had indie perfumes (both oils and EDPs) that smelled so much more appealing and actually aspired to be true-to-life renditions of real things. You can feel the love put into those fragrances. I've also had some very tastefully assembled gourmand high-end fragrances too, we can't forget about those. Meanwhile, Pink Sugar is stuck in middle school, only concerned about smelling sugary sweet (and not caring that it smells artificial) without even bothering with any nuances. Maybe my young self knew what was she was doing all along by avoiding this stuff.

on 9/30/2016 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Omg this stuff is so strong. I am not a person who believes in one spray is enough with perfumes. But one spray is enough with this one. Too much has given me a headache and nausea, it's unreal how strong it is. Will definitely offend people so please don't over-do it. Also don't spray near you face it will be all you smell and it will get really annoying. Smells like cotton candy and sugar, very very girly and young. When it's been on a while it kind of smells like marshmellows which is my fav part. Very cozy and a cool weather perfume. Also you get a lot of liquid for the price.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

love the scent, but I find that I can only use a little bit at a time, b/c otherwise it's too strong. If I slather my body all over with it, it would be way too overwhleming. So I just apply a small amount to strategic body parts. The scent is very sweet and candy-like, but I also detect a lemony scent, which makes it a bit lighter and keeps the sweetness from being sickly sweet.

on 3/12/2016 5:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This is way too sweet smelling for me and I love sweet smelling scents. I smelled like cotton candy all day. The packaging is super cute though. I wouldn't say its a bad scent, just too sweet for me.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

What's left to say about this perfume that hasn't already been said? Nothing really, except to say that the adorable packaging reminds me of ballerina shoes. I don't know if that was done on purpose, but it's cute as a button.

Overall, both young guys and older gentlemen seem to love this scent. It's very unassuming, unpretentious, incredibly feminine and girly in an unintimidating way, and is something that softhearted females would be attracted to.

Now whether or not it would end up smelling good on them is another story, because this is one of those perfumes that's a bit divisive. I don't know if it's the licorice, but it has a tendency to smell a bit plasticky on some of us.

Also, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I thought it would smell more like cotton candy or something. I don't know. All I know is that it's a sweet, unassuming, uncomplicated fragrance that women with a variety of different tastes might enjoy. Give it a spritz and see if you like it. You might be surprised, because I honestly don't think it's necessarily just for teens and young adults.

on 7/18/2015 10:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I rebuy this all the time. It's smells like cupcakes and doesn't give me headaches. Plus it looks cute on your vanity table.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love the smell of this. I have purchased two perfumes in the past month. I happened upon this while I was busy stalking Hypnotic Poison. It's difficult to compare the two but if I had to I would say Pink Sugar seems more "fun" while Hypnotic P is more "serious". However I did not want to pay the $45 for a 1.7 ounce bottle. I Don't mind dishing out the money for the HP but not for this one. So although i liked it, I passed. Until I found it on a site online for a certain reputable pharmacy. They had the 3.4 ounce of Pink Sugar for $25. That is a price that is a wonderful deal so I got it. After it came I fell in love. It lasts so long on me. I just now ordered a second 3.4 at that price. One to keep in my purse and one for home!

It definitely smells sweet. I do smell licorice which I'm surprised I like in this mixture. I smell a little bit of vanilla. It just has a "sparkling sweet" smell. Smells sweetly fresh and has no cheap smell. As always, it's best to test out on yourself and wear it for awhile.

The bottle is cute and girly. I love it. Most importantly, the lid stays on tight.

The stars I give this are based on the good price I got, as long as I am able to get it at that cost, I absolutely love this and will continue to purchase.

on 12/14/2014 6:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

I really enjoy this scent even in my mid 20s! Has a candy sweet scent but a really sexy clean scent that is appealing and is ideal in the summer or fall. This is original to me because most eu de toillettes and body sprays go for more of a musky floral scent but this one makes me smell good enough to eat!!! The price is a bit expensive but the bottle lasts a while. When the perfume dries it blends into your natural body scent... I get compliments every where I go and if I spray this with a more low key scent like dolce and habana light blue... I smell very unique

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Aquolina Pink Sugar smells like cotton candy made and sold at the circus and fair. Sweet and robust. It brought back fond memories from childhood.

Cotton candy scent quickly turned into the scent of a burnt marshmallow over a campfire. I like the smell of a burnt marshmallow while roasting marshmallows, but I don't want to smell like one myself. Drydown changes from burnt marshmallow to burnt sugar in a saucepan.

Bottle is attractive. I like the pink swirls intertwined on the bottle. It reminds me of ribbons.

UPDATE-Previous rating of two lippies because top notes brought back fond memories as a child going to the circus. However, sprayed this again at the store, and the overwhelming sugar burnt in a saucepan smell overrode memories. This stuff is potent burnt sugar. I wanted to like this, because it's a fun fragrance, but it didn't work with my body chemistry.

on 11/22/2014 2:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Amazingly successful blind buy! I usually don't buy fragrances unsniffed, but I read somewhere if you like Philosophys Falling In Love (my current favorite) then you'll enjoy Pink Sugar. I was very reluctant to buy it because many reviews stated it has a sweet-burnt sugar/caramel-licorice scent, definitely NOT my type of fragrance. I usually reach for fresh, aquatic, citrusy, floriental scent. So I took the plunge and bought it. First impression, WHOOOAAAA it's strong, sweet with strong licorice note, I wasn't sure if i hate or like it. Tried again and again and it quickly grew on me and fell in love with PS. This is perfect for winter and bedtime because it's warm and comforting. Yummm!!!

For reference my favorite fragrances: Sensi White Notes, Amazing Grace edp, Falling In Love edp, Summer Grace, Acqua Di Gio
Dislikes: BS Fantasy, Gucci Flora, JS Fancy Love, D&G Pour Femme, Gold Sugar, HM Pink Butterfly edt

Popular Fragrances