Aquolina Pink Sugar

1915 reviews

on 12/15/2016 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Upon looking through my massive bag of perfume samples, I was rather surprised to find an unused sample bottle of Pink Sugar lying in the heap. Maybe I had tucked it away in fear that it would invoke the memories of middle school and my horrifically awkward loser past self. Well alright, honestly not much has changed since then, but still, I like to convince myself that that's not true... Anyway, all I remember is that every girl in the "in" crowd doused themselves in this stuff and I was envious of them, in a sense: they were so popular and attractive and feminine, while I just couldn't muster up the courage to even try out typical girl stuff.

Now here I am, a slave to consumerism and maybe a bit too well-versed in the world of makeup, fragrance, skincare, fashion, etc. But I'm kind of happy with that! And with my vast expertise, I can finally declare: Pink Sugar is freakin' disgusting! I can't believe I actually looked up to this scent. Now all I think about when I get a whiff of this stuff is how outdated it smells, to be honest. It needs to be exiled to the previous decade and never allowed to leave. Not only that, but this scent as a whole just smells awfully cheap.

As much as I do not prefer to wear gourmands that often, I can still appreciate a good one, and Pink Sugar is not one of them - at least on my skin. On the first whiff, I don't get any of the fruity, fresh top notes; on me, it's an overpowering chemically, bitter licorice. It's actually so strong it almost smells like something's burning around you. As it transitions into the middle notes, I can only detect one-dimensional cotton candy - and it's still mixed in with that awful licorice. No promised fruit notes here, just boring sweets. And finally, the drydown is predominantly creamy caramel, sandalwood, and vanilla that's - surprise, surprise - an artificial, heartless, chemically concoction. And that stupid licorice is STILL hanging around until the end.

I've had indie perfumes (both oils and EDPs) that smelled so much more appealing and actually aspired to be true-to-life renditions of real things. You can feel the love put into those fragrances. I've also had some very tastefully assembled gourmand high-end fragrances too, we can't forget about those. Meanwhile, Pink Sugar is stuck in middle school, only concerned about smelling sugary sweet (and not caring that it smells artificial) without even bothering with any nuances. Maybe my young self knew what was she was doing all along by avoiding this stuff.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Aquolina Pink Sugar smells like cotton candy made and sold at the circus and fair. Sweet and robust. It brought back fond memories from childhood.

Cotton candy scent quickly turned into the scent of a burnt marshmallow over a campfire. I like the smell of a burnt marshmallow while roasting marshmallows, but I don't want to smell like one myself. Drydown changes from burnt marshmallow to burnt sugar in a saucepan.

Bottle is attractive. I like the pink swirls intertwined on the bottle. It reminds me of ribbons.

UPDATE-Previous rating of two lippies because top notes brought back fond memories as a child going to the circus. However, sprayed this again at the store, and the overwhelming sugar burnt in a saucepan smell overrode memories. This stuff is potent burnt sugar. I wanted to like this, because it's a fun fragrance, but it didn't work with my body chemistry.

Lippies for price and packaging. This is one of my MUA *kicks dirt* moments. I really, really, really wished this had worked for me but it smells stale to me. I smelled like old, or maybe burned vanilla.

on 8/1/2014 12:05:00 AM

SWEET SWEET SWEET. Made me so nauseous the second i sprayed it. If you're not a fan of SWEET smells DONT bother purchasing this product. Smelled like a cheap candy shop. The packaging is what caught my eye...it is very cute!

on 4/21/2014 7:05:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

too sweet, cloyingly sweet, bad bubblegum sweet, sticky sickly sweet. I guess it was too sweet for my scentabilities.

This does not work with my skin chemistry at all. I am not partial to sweet scents anyway, so not a good choice, but it turns very chemical, sweet on me, with a strange cleaning product undertone- not for me.

on 4/19/2014 7:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Nauseatingly sweet with no depth.

on 3/13/2014 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I love sweet scents, but this was just too much. It's very overwhelming and just...very juvenile. It has that very sweet, candy-like scent. I usually gravitate toward things like that, but at my age I guess I'm just opting for something classier.

I have never in my life felt sick from a perfume....until this perfume. This I appreciate only for the fact of being in my opinion the mom to the teen bubblegum cloud we see today. I don't like it personally,but a lot of ppl do,I respect that. What does it smell like? If every celeb sent was mixed in a pot with a bag of brown sugar and boiled. Then just left to burn. That's pink sugar

on 1/4/2014 9:08:00 AM

I've always been a sweet perfume kind of girl. But Pink Sugar smells so cheap and disgusting.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Well,it smells like DISAPPOINTMENT + CANDLE-WAX and cardboard ! Worst perfume I've ever owned. I regret buying this and will not buy this ever again! Cute packaging though( which tricked me into buying it !) . I don't even think that this is the smell of marshmallow or sugar .

Popular Fragrances