Aquolina Pink Sugar

Aquolina Pink Sugar

3.7

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Wow, 1,401 reviews. I have nothing to add, except the results of some very scientifically viable surveys conducted by me and my colleagues*
Ahem. 4 out of 5 dentists recommend you spray on Pink Sugar instead of sucking on the lollipops they give you. The fifth dentist turned out to be a Russian agent who wanted people to get cavities and diabetes.
Only TWO people out of the something-billion population of China dislike Pink Sugar. It later turned out that these two "people" were actually pandas who had been taught to read & write by eccentric monks. Pandas have a completely different sense of smell from humans, so their votes were ignored.
In our final study, a staggering 70 MILLION Italian male models proposed to a block of wood which had been generously sprayed with Pink Sugar. We had to hit them over the head with it before they realized that it was an inanimate object they had fallen in love with, not Miranda Kerr.
SCIENCE HAS SPOKEN! nothing left to say except i luv it
(*Warning: Reviewer has tendency to be stupid and make up stuff that isn't remotely true).

on 1/20/2010 11:52:00 AM

Look, I am 35, ok? I have slammed this scent over the years because I was being a frangrance snob. I order my 10 scents from Luckyscent every week and my signature scent is probably Montale Black Oud.

But.....

One day I sprayed this on at Sephora. Yes it was sweet. yes it was cotton candy. Yes it had a musk undertone. But I kid you not, as the day wore on, I got no less than 6 compliements from random strangers (mostly men) on this. Ok maybe they are not scent sophisticates, but all I know is it got all kinds of male attention. And I am single. So uhm yes, please, I'll have another!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Embarrassingly, Pink Sugar is the fragrance that took me a little bit of time to "get". After my not so stellar first impression, I sampled this again, and it really grew on me. The key is to not over-apply and not judge it based on the initial burnt quality (which I presume is due to the licorice note). This is now one of my favorites and one of the few fragrances that I crave! I suppose it's not unlike cotton candy itself - you know it's unhealthy, super sweet, and overindulgent, but its delicious, nostalgic aroma beckons you from several feet away and you simply can't resist. You must have a large, warm, freshly spun, fluffy, pink cloud of cotton candy for yourself. I think what hooked me is the radiance given off by this fragrance - the scent bubble is intoxicating, and in my opinion, smells even better than the way the fragrance smells directly on your skin. The cotton candy, vanilla, and caramel predominate, but surprisingly, I can detect every single note in the description, maybe with the exception of the Lily of the Valley.

This is actually quite a remarkable fragrance and more complex than people give it credit for. It manages to evoke the smell of cotton candy, as well as its temperature, taste, texture, and even color. This might sound melodramatic and lovers of the classic Chanels and Guerlains will scoff, but this fragrance is truly a sensory masterpiece. The projection is outstanding, especially for an EDT (so go easy), and I love that I can still smell it on myself the next day.

On a side note, I find it bothersome that many people (myself included) become irritated by the description, "smells like old lady," but some of those same people would likely have no problem calling this fragrance, "teenage", "for little girls", "immature", or "not to be taken seriously." Ageism is ageism, folks. We all like the fragrances we like. Age shouldn't factor into it.

on 9/30/2009 4:22:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I love this stuff and I'm sure I always will no matter how old I get. I've almost gone through a full size bottle in less than a year and I will definitely buy it again. I don't think it smells childish or anything like that. The musk blends with the sweet notes perfectly on me. I get SO many compliments on it. But even if I didn't, I would wear it anyway because I care more about what I think than what others think. :)

on 6/10/2008 7:43:00 PM

First of all, I want to make sure everybody understands that this is a STRICTLY PERSONAL opinion and therefore, not meant to offend anyone. This sucks. I don't understand what the fuss is all about. It smells like cotton candy. Seeing as how it's such a success, I tried it several times, but I always go Yuck! When I see every single teeny-bopper that comes into Sephora make a bee-line for it, I think 'figures.' I'm glad it works for so many people. But it's not for me. Too girly. Too candy-like. Too cute. I'll stick to Serge Lutens.

on 7/2/2010 3:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

As previous reviewers have mentioned, once you've had a sniff of this, you'll know if it's love or hate - few people waiver in between. Well, bless the lovers, but this is one of my most hated perfumes. It contains notes of musk, vanilla, berries, cotton candy, and a few other sweet and fruity ingredients, making it a fruity-gourmand scent, but one spray of this and all you'll get is sugar, sugar, sugar. Then again, it may be different on each individual, and to each nose.

This perfume has one quality that everyone seems to agree on: it is a sweet fragrance regardless of who wears it. It's the olfactory representation of a bright pink, sparkling Care Bear that dreams of rainbows and skips through the berry fields all day. And, just like a Care Bear, there is no mystery to this fragrance, no surprisingly beautiful and inspired notes that linger hours after you first put it on. The composition feels open and innocent and that may be why many people believe it to be a younger woman's fragrance. If all this makes you happy, then by all means, purchase it at once. However, don't be surprised when you get reactions ranging from "You smell like cupcakes!" to "I suppose you just got back from the Coney Island stale cotton candy stand'. Unfortunately, for my Pink Sugar-loving friends, my comments will always veer towards the latter.

Sometime in the last 2 years or so, this giddy liquid confection became my HG. And it did so on its own merits, against my will, because I own many more expensive fragrances & one-of-a-kind vintage fragrances & my intellect tells me I should like those more. Especially at age 47! But my god, I just LOOOOOOVE Pink Sugar. Wearing it makes me unreasonably happy; it garners tons of compliments; and my husband (who merely tolerates most perfumes) sighs blissfully when I have it on.

Pink Sugar (2003) was the first true take-no-prisoners GOURMAND! fragrance. [Angel, its predecessor, shares some of the same notes like cotton candy and caramel, but the real star of Angel's show is the massively dirty patchouli, and one could hardly call Angel a "sweet" fragrance overall.] I consider Pink Sugar superior to everything that came after it. It is a meticulously crafted fragrance, with some real complexity.

The initial spray can be a bit bracing, what with the brisk lemon, tart berries, and anise; soon after you are hit with a fizzy and ethereal spun-sugar effect; and the entire thing dries down to a stunningly woodsy dessert course of caramelized vanilla. It has brilliant sillage and longevity, wearing much more like an EDP than an EDT. While the entire thing sounds almost like diabetic overload on paper, it just works on the skin and makes you smell fresh, soft, and edible all at once. You are irresistible to anyone within 12 inches! SO FREAKIN' GREAT. I wear it to work. I just don't care.

If you don't like sweet fragrances, you won't like this. On the other hand, if any sweet fragrance were to win you over, Pink Sugar would be the one. And don't worry about the cheap price-- this is quality stuff. I've noticed the newer bottles of Pink Sugar, like the ones sold online and in discount stores, don't have the Aquolina brand name on the package. However, this is because Aquolina turned over production to its parent company (I think it's called Selectiva of Italy). I just bought a bottle at Burlington days ago, and it is every bit as potent and perfect as the bottles I got from Sephora in years past. Note that the normal color of the juice is a light yellow, not clear as in the misleading photo on this page. It has a very high concentration of vanilla, which causes the yellow hue. The fragrance has only gone "off" if it turns dark amber or brown.

on 11/7/2014 5:56:00 PM

OK I am middle aged so marketing says I should not like this - I love it. It is sweet like marshmallow fluff with caramel sauce and candy floss. I would not like this in high summer but in the depths of winter it reminds me of summers at the fairground and that makes me smile. So the marketers can go to hang. I am wearing this with pride.

on 12/11/2012 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Fun and a little naughty to wear but MOST definitely something you want to sample before buying, because the licorice and intense sweetness will turn a lot of people off.
Notes: Bergamot, Sicilian orange, fig leaves, lily, liquorice blossom, red fruits, vanilla, caramel, woodsy and musky notes.
Pink Sugar opens like a plump pillowy piece of sugary-sweet toasted marshmallow with all the brown and caramelized bits thrown in (courtesy of the dark tarriness of liquorice). Then it slowly softens into a cotton candy and bakery scent, with faint traces of fruit flavoring. In the far drydown, I detect a light powdered-sugar musk on my skin.

Surprisingly good lasting power and great projection/sillage for an EDT. This outlasted other sweet scents like Fantasy, Can Can, and Comptoir Sud Pacifique vanillas.
Iíd resist the urge to spray on too much because it seems some peoplesí noses get used to it and they don't notice how strong it can be to others.
P.S. Labeling a scent and its lovers "juvenile" or "old-lady" based on its smell is culturally-subjective and more than a bit close-minded, not to mention nonconstructive for the people trying to decide if they should try a product. It's either your taste or not.
Alternatives:
Body Fantasies Cotton Candy Fantasy - brighter, stronger strawberry
Gale Hayman Delicious Cotton Candy - a little strong on the bergamot/citrus. Resembles a more plasticky Eau de Shalimar.
L de Lolita Lempicka - emphasizes the orange, sugary-vanilla and slight spice tones of Pink Sugar; no cotton candy or burnt notes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I adore this fragrance, wear it everyday, and I'm well over 30. I sense an age-bias forming around this fragrance and encourage women to consider the scent for itself. To me Pink Sugar is a bit more sophisticated and unusual than the average vanilla fragrance -- citrus and sweet candy top notes, warm vanilla and caramel in the dry down. I recommend wearing the scent, rather than just smelling the spray, before you make up your mind since the combo of notes may work differently on your skin. For me, the fragrance lasts all day and doesn't seem to bother friends and coworkers who are sensitive to fragrance. Others comment that the scent makes them want to get closer to me, some even try ... Fortunately, my SO also finds this scent irresistible (And he is, gasp, over 40). For my money, Pink Sugar can be a fun, flirty, sexy, grown-up girly-girl scent. I've already purchased 3 bottles of the 3 oz. size and will certainly replace my current bottle when I've finished.

Popular Fragrances