Aquolina Pink Sugar

Aquolina Pink Sugar

3.8

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Wow, 1,401 reviews. I have nothing to add, except the results of some very scientifically viable surveys conducted by me and my colleagues*
Ahem. 4 out of 5 dentists recommend you spray on Pink Sugar instead of sucking on the lollipops they give you. The fifth dentist turned out to be a Russian agent who wanted people to get cavities and diabetes.
Only TWO people out of the something-billion population of China dislike Pink Sugar. It later turned out that these two "people" were actually pandas who had been taught to read & write by eccentric monks. Pandas have a completely different sense of smell from humans, so their votes were ignored.
In our final study, a staggering 70 MILLION Italian male models proposed to a block of wood which had been generously sprayed with Pink Sugar. We had to hit them over the head with it before they realized that it was an inanimate object they had fallen in love with, not Miranda Kerr.
SCIENCE HAS SPOKEN! nothing left to say except i luv it
(*Warning: Reviewer has tendency to be stupid and make up stuff that isn't remotely true).

I had never heard of Aquolina branded perfumes or beauty products until I read the reviews on MUA and was intrigued by the mixed reviews. It's very hard to find here in the UK (I actually don't think they sell it here) so I had to buy it online.

The bottle of Aquolina Pink Sugar is very plainly designed and looks more like a can of impulse deodorant rather than a perfume bottle. The only thing I like about the design of the bottle is the fact that it has what looks like a pink ribbon tied around it; I think that this gives the bottle a more girly and feminine appearance.

As soon as I applied the perfume onto my wrist the first thing I noticed immediately was the licorice note. First time I tried this perfume out the licorice smell was so strong that it was all I could smell for about 10 minutes. It then dried down and had a very sugary fruity scent; I was half expecting the scent to be sweet because of the name of the perfume. The scent from the perfume wasn't too overpowering after it dried down, it was strong but I wouldn't go as far as saying that it was overpowering. I generally like fruity/cotton candy scents, so I also liked this one. I can personally smell Oranges and Blackcurrants in this scent. Now that I've tried it out more than once, I don't really get that licorice scent anymore, maybe only just a 2 second sniff of it and then it's gone.

After approximately 30 minutes the aroma had faded somewhat and was barely identifiable unless I put my nose up to my wrist. The fragrance still had the very sugary sweet aroma although this was accompanied with a very subtle floral undertone which sort of gave the fragrance a little bit of depth. The subtle floral note which I could detect was that of Lillie's, but the floral note of the fragrance is very subtle and barely visible because it is masked by heavier fruitier tones which give the scent an even sweeter scent. The sweeter notes which I could detect were Berries of some sort, like a mix of blueberries, strawberries etc. I actually began to like the fragrance at this point because the berry tones seemed to give the whole fragrance a more uplifting summery aroma.

The scent had died down quite a lot since the top notes had blended with the middle ones, but the scent had a more powdery musky aroma which seemed to give the perfume a much sweeter aroma. At this point I actually thought the perfume smelled good enough to eat because it reminded me of raspberry ripple ice cream. I think that the Musk and Vanilla base notes sort of complimented the Berry middle notes and gave the scent slightly more muskier aroma.

Pink Sugar is described as having:
*Top notes of Sicilian Orange, Raspberry, Fig Leafs and Bergamot
The top notes are scents you can smell as soon as the perfume has been applied. The first smell will normally be the alcohol content of the fragrance which evaporates quickly. The top notes are normally a lot lighter than the other notes which are used to make up the fragrance.
*Middle notes of Lily Blossom, Liquorice, Strawberry and Red fruits
The middle notes are known as the heart of the fragrance and the other notes centre on this layer. The middle notes define the character of the fragrance as it's normally this layer that settles on the skin.
*Base notes of Vanilla, Candy and Musk. The base notes provide a base for the middle notes to linger on. The base notes determine how long a fragrance lasts. As there are only a few notes that last long, the majority of fragrances use the same base notes. The base notes are the ones which last longer than the middle and top notes.

Pink Sugar has somewhat good staying power considering it is an Eau De Toilette fragrance. Eau De Toilette scents are less concentrated than Eau De Parfum and usually last for about 4 or 5 hours on your skin, but this is never the case with me so Pink Sugar lasts about 45mins-2hours depending on how well it decides to last. I was expecting the fragrance to last a longer amount on my skin because it wasn't a really light and airy perfume. If the perfume notes of the scent were a little heavier then this would have made the scent last longer on my skin but then again this would have ruined the fragrance and give it en even more sickly sweet scent. The fragrance notes used in this perfume are nice and I'm pleased with the fruity notes as I generally don't like floral notes too much.

All perfumes smell slightly different on different people, and this is due to us having different oils in our skin. The staying power of a scent also differs from person to person because we have different types of skin oils too. I said in the review that this perfume lasts for about three or four hours on me, but it could last a longer or shorter amount of time on you.

I like the scent of the perfume although it is not one of my favourite scents. I think that Aquolina Pink Sugar falls into the sweet/fruity perfume category. I think that the scent of this perfume will not suit every one and is most probably suited to those who like the sweet fragrances. It's more of a casual wear perfume because of its staying power. I'm not too sure if I would like to buy another bottle of this perfume when I run out because I already have 2 bottles.

on 3/15/2007 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is the kind of scent that will make women hate you and men love you. It's that simple. Here are the reactions you get when wearing it:

1. (Woman or man who doesn't know it's perfume) What's that smell? Is something baking? Wow that smells good!!! Mmmm!

2. Woman who knows it's perfume gives you a dirty look for wearing something too "flirty"

3. Man smiles at you, smells your hair, fawns all over you, and wants to eat you up.

Don't say I didn't warn you ladies!

I love pretty much anything girly, sweet, and vanilla, so when I first heard about Pink Sugar a few years ago, I decided to order it online. Having heard so many wonderful things about the fragrance, my initial reaction upon receiving it and testing it out was disappointment - it was TOO sweet, and strong, and kind of reminded me of some 18-21 year old girl who had just spent the previous two hours getting ready to go out, and was now sitting with her friends at a restaurant, drinking a cotton candy martini in a somewhat unsuccessful attempt to seem sophisticated.

However, a few hours later, as I was curled up next to my space heater in my fuzzy winter pajamas, I began to notice the most amazing smell. It was creamy and comforting, having seemed to change from "trying-too-hard college girl" to a more innocent and ageless fragrance. If I had to describe the drydown on me, I'd say it smelled like a fluffy white cake shell filled with homegrown, freshly-picked strawberries, drizzled with creamy liqueur, and covered with rich whipped cream infused with vanilla extract. So yummy!

Years later, at 26, I still love this fragrance. I do agree that it smells young, but I find this young-ness to be more "innocent" than "cheap." I actually think this scent could work for everyone - it's fresh and innocent for young girls and yet cozy and comforting for older ladies. I like this scent best in winter and spring, and maybe sometimes on summer nights or cooler summer days. In winter, it seems to interact with "cozy" fabrics such as wool to become creamier (or maybe that's just my imagination), while in warmer weather it seems to become more fresh and girly. It definitely comes out with heat, though, so I think it might seem a bit cheap and overdone in hot weather.

I don't really think of this as a sexy fragrance, at least not on me... in fact, while I've gotten a ton of compliments on it, the vast majority of them have been from women. It's innocent, girly, and, well, "nice"... a good choice when you are wearing anything pink, or when you are feeling particularly guilty about something. :)

on 4/3/2007 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

BS on all the people who say it's too girly. Guys go absolutely CRAZY for this scent, no matter how old they are. I'm constantly being complimented when I'm wearing it and people will literally go "OMG, what smells so good in here??" when I walk into a room. I've worn more "mature" fragrances and y'know what? No one likes them as much, including myself. It's relatively inexpensive and nothing I've ever worn has gotten such an abundance of positive reactions from friends, family, and complete strangers.

on 7/2/2010 3:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

As previous reviewers have mentioned, once you've had a sniff of this, you'll know if it's love or hate - few people waiver in between. Well, bless the lovers, but this is one of my most hated perfumes. It contains notes of musk, vanilla, berries, cotton candy, and a few other sweet and fruity ingredients, making it a fruity-gourmand scent, but one spray of this and all you'll get is sugar, sugar, sugar. Then again, it may be different on each individual, and to each nose.

This perfume has one quality that everyone seems to agree on: it is a sweet fragrance regardless of who wears it. It's the olfactory representation of a bright pink, sparkling Care Bear that dreams of rainbows and skips through the berry fields all day. And, just like a Care Bear, there is no mystery to this fragrance, no surprisingly beautiful and inspired notes that linger hours after you first put it on. The composition feels open and innocent and that may be why many people believe it to be a younger woman's fragrance. If all this makes you happy, then by all means, purchase it at once. However, don't be surprised when you get reactions ranging from "You smell like cupcakes!" to "I suppose you just got back from the Coney Island stale cotton candy stand'. Unfortunately, for my Pink Sugar-loving friends, my comments will always veer towards the latter.

on 2/4/2006 9:21:00 AM

Okay so here is the thing about Aquolina's Pink Sugar - people WILL notice you're wearing it and you will love it the first time you wear it, but then, like eating too much candy , you kinda of have to take a break from it for a while (or a month) and then rediscover it on top of your shelf. It is NOT an everyday fragrance, but if you wear it once, it will linger in the most beautiful way on your winter scarf and coat. I always love when a perfume can do that and not make me want to throw everything in the wash: it becomes a calling-card in a way. It is a very youth-oriented fragrance so I am fearful of recommending it to anyone over say 30. Or if you loke it, just don't wear it to the office. Its the 'pink eye shadow' of fragrances, if you get my drift.

on 9/30/2016 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Omg this stuff is so strong. I am not a person who believes in one spray is enough with perfumes. But one spray is enough with this one. Too much has given me a headache and nausea, it's unreal how strong it is. Will definitely offend people so please don't over-do it. Also don't spray near you face it will be all you smell and it will get really annoying. Smells like cotton candy and sugar, very very girly and young. When it's been on a while it kind of smells like marshmellows which is my fav part. Very cozy and a cool weather perfume. Also you get a lot of liquid for the price.

When I first bought Pink Sugar I didn't think I would end up loving it as much as I do now. It's not too expensive yet I get the most complimented on this scent in comparison to my more expensive perfumes (Chanel, YSL, Viktor & Rolf). I always get stopped by people asking what I'm wearing or to compliment me! People of all ages, both female and male always always always tell me I smell pretty when I'm wearing this. I'm almost done with my bottle and I only bought it around the end of February this year!

on 10/29/2008 2:50:00 AM

If you want to smell like an amusement park (i.e. the noxious odor of cotton candy being pumped into the atmosphere), this is for you. Gross. I gag whenever I smell a girl wearing this which is, like, every single day. A very one dimensional smell. Not sure why it appeals to so many. I'll give it one thing, it is distinctive. And also strong, unless everyone who wears it bathes themselves in it, which may be the case. If Mattel made a Barbie brand perfume, this would be it.

Popular Fragrances