Donna Karan Cashmere Mist

Donna Karan  Cashmere Mist

Lily of the Valley, Suede Notes, Bergamot, Ylang, Jasmine Maroc, Sandalwood, Orris, Amber, Vanilla, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Musk.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I started using this perfume since back in 2000 summer, I was on summer holiday in France when a girl was just getting of the bus and then the most wonderful experience happened.
Something smelled distinctive, amazing beautiful and innocent. I had to run outside and ask her what perfume she uses. She politely and smiling told me that it Cashmere Mist.
I was so happy and I couldn't wait to buy the perfume. And now here we are in 2016 and it is still my favourite piece of masterpiece, art, poem, seduction all in a bottle. Cashmere Mist has an innocent side too. It is delicate, very distinctive, very noticable and has that beautiful wafting quality during 8 hour lasting power. People will always notice you, always comment on your perfume. I cannot tell how many people asked me what I was wearing. It will be my signature and my darling forever.
The main notes are Musk, jasmine, incense, vanilla and Amber. I highly recommend CM if you are looking for a soft yet very distinct signature fragrance. The plus side is you will be always asked what is that beautiful smell?

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

There is an EDP and an EDT of this. To me, the EDT is very powdery, to me the EDT smells straight-up like a baby powder spray mixed with a dab of alcohol; has a very chemical scent to me.

The main accords according to
I guess on dry-down I do get a bit of a musky scent, but the scent to me is straight-up (very chemical) baby-powder scent. I guess I can see a bit of musky and woody, possibly amber and leather on dry-down, but I do not detect vanilla at all in this. To me, this smells like a man's spray deodorant. I will say this EDT lasts around 8 to 10 hours, so wear-time is not bad at all.

Now, that all said, the EDP to me smells much different. I realize that can happen, but the difference between the EDP and EDT is like night and day.

Oddly enough, while EDP's are generally stronger and last longer, I find the opposite to be true of this EDP. To me, this EDP disappears after an hour, and that is even when spraying it quite heavily. I ask family if they can smell it and they sniff-sniff-sniff and tell me no, so I know it is not just me getting used to the scent, but rather it does not last. The EDP to me is soapy, clean-smelling, quite light.The EDP is in a clear glass bottle, whereas the EDT is in a frosted glass bottle. The design of the bottles is quite lovely, sleek and classy and comfortable in the hands and spray easily, which my bad wrists appreciate. Both the EDP and EDT trigger a headache for me, even though they are not heavy. So I would not wear these amongst a crowd or anywhere being around the same people all day.

To Read all 344 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/12/2016 9:27:00 AM

This is a light but noticeable fragrance. It was recommended on a beauty group years ago and I've owned it ever since. What's unique about it, is it appeals to many different people. My MIL loves Shalimar and heavier scents, and my own mother loves lilly of the valley. Both my MIL and my mom wore this scent and loved it. I can't think of any other fragrance that has that kind of versatility. Most are "in your face" orientals or "light but forgettable" florals. This one is unique! I feel classy when I wear this!

on 6/12/2016 4:26:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Bought the rollerball to take on a trip. Basically a blind buy since I hadn't smelled it in years.

I do understand why so many people have associations with other smells when they smell this, it has a common fragrance pyramid that's seems to be used in fresheners, laundry stuff, inexpensive body products, etc. It reminds me of the old BBW Cotton Blossom, personally. But I don't fault the fragrance because it 'smells like something else'...It's likely a case of 'something else' that smells like Cashmere Mist, and people probably smelled that other thing first. Cashmere Mist possibly came first, it is 22 years old. (With the exception of scented baby powder, of course. Incidentally, this fragrance has a heavy powder accord. If you don't like powder, you won't like this, I would guess).

It's just slightly sharp when first applied, I think it's the leather, which drops back nicely after a few minutes. On me the Sandalwood, Amber, Vanilla and Musk are the stand out notes throughout wearing. The Ylang, Jasmine and powder note keep it soft and rounded, like a woman. It's spicy, warm, delicate, powdery and personal. Subtle, not blatant. It's a sensual scent but still it's able to maintain a lightness that other Orientals can't. I have the EDP and would never describe it as heavy or cloying. I have/had Obsession, Tobacco Vanille, Velvet Orchid, Opium, Cinnabar, No 5 EDP - and compared to those, CM is a breath of more gentle, light air, while still being a spicy Oriental at heart. It's close to Noir Pour Femme in weight and projection, and their dry downs are similar.
Better suited for cooler weather, but with a light hand I've no problem wearing it in the English summer.
Yes, it's a common scent. But it's also familiar, easy and inviting. Safe and comfy.
I wear it when I don't want complexity. When I want to smell like *me* rather than a perfume. I think it's a great skinscent. The rollerball is perfect for travel and concise application. On me the projection is mainly close/personal and longevity is super-great.

I do think it's priced too high.

on 4/2/2015 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Cashmere Mist is absolutely gorgeous. Subtle and intimate, it feels like it's simply enhancing the scent of your own skin. I reach for this whenever I want to feel fresh and clean. According to Jan Moran's book Fabulous Fragrances II, Cashmere Mist features notes of bergamot, jasmine, lily of the valley, sandalwood, vanilla, amber and musk. None of these notes really stand out to me though. It's like all the notes are so well blended they create a new note called Cashmere Mist. The best I can do to describe it is to say that it's soft, powdery and fresh. I think the wear time for this is actually decent for a light perfume. Cashmere Mist doesn't have much sillage though. You're not going to walk into a room and wow people with it. That actually makes it perfect for work, job interviews, church or any other situation where a bold perfume might be inappropriate.

on 12/7/2014 2:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I've been switching up between Givenchy Organza and Estée Lauder Tuberose Gardenia for months until someone suggested that I try this scent. I bought a very low priced, 3oz. bottle of the Bath & Body brumisateur from eBay just to try it out before committing to a large bottle of the perfume at Sephora.

"Lovely!" was my first reaction. Its a rich, gorgeous, spicy Oriental & vanilla scent. Not overpowering and in your face but impactful and special. If you're into fruity, bubblegum, plastic scents then this isn't the perfume for you. This scent says CARING....SUBTLE ... TASTEFUL..... NATURALLY BEAUTIFUL..... COMFORTING

The dry down is amazing. I've been loving this scent ever since. My only gripe is that the scent isn't long lasting. I'm told that the EDP lasts longer so I will be purchasing a bottle very soon. This is now my signature scent. I'm even using the matching deodorant now. I love it so.

on 10/24/2014 9:11:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

Someone gave me this as a present and it smells like old lady... Maybe that's why they gave it to me but I'm not that old yet!

on 10/24/2014 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I find these types of fragrances tend to wear on me very well; anything warm or in the oriental wood families. This smells like warm cashmere wood with faint suede in the background, some vanilla, amber, and a touch of white flower, which is jasmine. I do not detect the top note really or most of the middle notes.

The top note in this opens with bergamot and I don’t smell it at all sadly. I love bergamot. Middle notes are jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, and suede. The base notes are what I smell immediately and stay well hours later and develop into a sweet woodsy smell. They are musk, sandalwood, amber, cashmere musk, and vanilla.

Gorgeous fragrance that is very classy and simple.

on 10/12/2014 9:53:00 PM

I've bought this twice and passed it on to others. I really don't know why, as I keep getting a craving for it and regret ever getting rid of it. I think it is because I wanted something more "perfumey". Cashmere Mist is a clean, bubble bath kind of scent that some might not find interesting enough. However, if you keep in mind the minimal aesthetic of Donna Karan's clothing style, Cashmere Mist matches it perfectly.

I find it effortlessly beautiful, clean, and polished. It is a powdery, floral, creamy scent with a soft suede and a sandalwood base, and a breath of non-edible vanilla. I find that in the Donna Karan scents I've tried, she has a knack for bringing a carbonated "lift" to them, as if the perfume was a scented soda. Staying power is right in the middle, but I'm only going on a little spray from the sample sprayer for now.

Side note: The deodorant/antiperspirant is gorgeous too. Works amazingly well, and it smells heavier on the sandalwood. A friend actually thought I was wearing an essential oil.

on 10/8/2014 1:37:00 PM

Yuk.....simply bottled baby powder.Very boring,one dimensional,musty, old lady smelling.Lasting power is not good at all too ,it's gone in less than 1 hour.This smells more like soap/shaving cream than proper perfume,I bought it on impulse,but strongly dislike it and I only spray it on me after taking shower,it smells like bath product anyway.Save your money and invest in proper perfume.

Popular Fragrances