Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

Filtered by eye Color : Green
No Image

3.6

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Very, very well executed Iris.
It is really weird how it changes is worn in cold or warm temperatures!
When it's cool outside, I get a powdery, cool iris, quite fleeting but sophisticated and classy at the same time.
In summer, I get a much warmer scent.There is honey & caramel, and an herbal note like chamomile tea!
Staying power in enhanced in warm weather. The flowers is it, besides iris, blossom amplified and you'll recognize a warm and powdery heliotrope, some carnation (very mild) and a warm jasmine.
A perfect soft floral-powdery composition... sheet a perhaps a bit fleeting, but I very well understand why it is loved by so many!
Get a sample!

______
notes
white heliotrope, bergamot, angelica, iris, hawthorn, jasmine, carnation, caramel, musk, and honey.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

L'eau D'Hiver is yet another Jean-Claude Ellena creation I can't seem to live without (along with Bois Farine, Vetiver Tonka, Angeliques Sous La Pluie and many more). Its opening is honeyed and peppery and somewhat medicinal, almost sharp. As it dries down, it becomes gentle, slightly powdery, and tenderly milky, in that near-transparent Ellena way. When I first tried it, it reminded me of Philosophy's Baby Grace with its barely-there powdery quality, but that fragrance is more soapy, whereas there is nothing soap-like in L'eau D'Hiver. I would call L'eau D'Hiver a comfort scent, but not in the fluffy or sugary sense. It's comforting the way a gentle snowfall is comforting. As others have said, it's a cold/warm scent, not at all overpowering, with little sillage, making it fine for any season. I find that I spray it a LOT, because the lasting power is not terrific, so it ends up being pretty expensive (I can get through a 10 ml bottle pretty quickly).

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Very creamy with just a touch of sharpish greenness.
L'eau d'Hiver is very subtle, and it lives pretty close to the skin (lovers of "sillage" take note).

At first spritz, I believe this delicate scent is a bit overwhelmed by the alcohol, but after a moment, it becomes very mellow.
In the top notes there's something bread- or meal-like, which fades down pretty quickly. This isn't an unpleasant note .. I think I would be more inclined to think of it as "unusual" - I like this note on myself.

I believe L'eau d'Hiver would be safe to wear on any occasion, and equally good at any time of year. It's got a sort of incapturable something, so when I wear this, I keep sniffing and sniffing my wrists.
This is an excellent every-day go-to perfume, I'd consider it completely safe for the office, or other times when you want to be sure that your perfume isn't obtrusive.
L'eau d'Hiver is pretty fresh, but not completely clean or at all sterile-smelling. It seems to melt right into the skin, and it's not even clear if it's a perfume or nothing at all.

When you pick a dandelion, that white stuff oozes out of its stem - this smells like what that SHOULD smell like (and bears no resemblance to what it actually smells like).

Yuck. It's a sickly spicy floral that smells like spoiled milk the longer it wears. I don't understand how this could be called a fresh scent on the board. I'm glad all I got was a sample.

on 3/6/2008 2:49:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

a wonderful,tender,warm scent :it is like a cachemire scarf...very elegant and classy even if the sillage is just 3 hours i think i could wear it everyday ...a very comforting scent,a nother winner from j.c. ellena!!

Iris and vanilla. Love it!

on 9/15/2005 3:52:00 PM

This one was all baby powder on me. It reminded me of diapers and that's just not something I want to smell like. I think a whiff of cucumber was coming through in the end, but I couldn't stick it out to see where this fragrance was going. Definitely not what I was expecting. Winter, my foot. I have no idea whose winter this smells like, but I'm glad it's not mine.