Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

Filtered by eye Color : Black
No Image

4.4

on 6/2/2009 11:14:00 PM

If you were ever looking for a perfume that smells a lot like Lush's Snowcake soap (which is only available once a year at Christmastime), then L'eau D'Hiver is your gal. It's not an exact dupe of Snowcake, but has a coolness and distance about it - a JC-Ellena imprint, so to speak.

"Winter Water"... what a beautiful and perfectly appropriate name for this otherworldly scent. After Musc Ravageur, this is my second favorite in Malle's line. Like Angeliques sous la Pluie, this is one of the sheerer fragrances: so understated as to be almost safe. But while Angeliques sparkles like a gin & tonic, this is the smell of ice water that's just melted off the petals of an iris, or maybe heliotrope. In the overall powdery accord are fleeting glimpses of jasmine & carnation, perhaps, but they're so ethereal as to be almost imaginary. Caramel and musk ground this ever so slightly, but the best way to describe L'Eau d'Hiver is "ephemeral," like the dew on a flowerbed that the fairies sip till dawn.

on 5/14/2006 6:35:00 AM

What a pretty, feminine, comforting scent! To me this is the perfect fragrance for cuddling, it has a magically calming effect on me...and it smells sooo...white! And though i get some "wrinkled nose" (the husband) and comments like "baby powder" (friend #1), "dry & musty" (friend#2), "chrysanthemum tea" (sister) when i wear this, i am sure they just need some time getting used to this ethereal and strangely wonderful smell... but i am past caring for i have found a fragrance that i love so much,that i shall wear it even if only for myself...*Sigh*

UPDATE : Finally got myself a bottle and it's worth every penny :) Thank you Jean Claude Ellena!

on 10/11/2005 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Very strong at first spritz - I recoiled a bit from the sharpness. Very marine and peppery opening - bordering on masculine. This quickly changes on my skin from strong and sharp, to subtle and powdery. The notes I get are grass, pepper, talc, and something that reminds me of the inside of a florist's shop - like wet, fresh flowers. It's quite pretty on the drydown...it's almost like Annick Goutal's Mandragore, but better and stronger. When I'm repeatedly sniffing my wrist after trying a fragrance ,it's a good sign :D I'd recommend to wait this one out when trying it for the first time. It changes dramatically. I'd consider purchasing a full sized bottle.

Tenacious, yet serene and calm. This perfume epitomizes its name: L'eau d'Hiver. Upon first contact, it sends a gentle aroma of white, green floral, and perhaps musk, almost like baby powder without that powdery scent. Next, the aroma just clings and linger on the back of my throat and nose with almost a chemical/synthetic quality to it as if it permeates into my olfactory sense. It reminds me of eating too much of Jello pistachio pudding, that synthetic sweet sensation it left behind on my throat. Pleasant, but artificial. The tenacity gives way to something warm, almost vanillic, but definitely not amber or spice, a very clean finish to the perfume.

In my opinion, this is a brilliant composition of synthetic ingredients which evokes the silence of winter. A gentle whif of this fragrance gives me that subdued and clam feeling. I'm pleasantly surprised with this.

Popular Fragrances