Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

No Image

3.6

on 5/27/2016 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I've been on the hunt for a new signature scent and was intrigued by Frederic Malle's line, thanks to numerous beauty editors and fragrance sites that rave about the artistry and quality. This is the fourth FM scent I have tried(started with Carnal Flower; Eau de Magnolia; En Passant) and now L'eau D'hiver. On my skin the first spritz is very springy and green. I get where other reviews say this is an icy fragrance, but that iciness is fleeting. This to me is FM's softest fragrance, it reminds me a bit of Annick Goutal's Eau de Ciel and the drydown of Prada's Iris perfume. I get a huge whiff of baby powder or Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo or the pink Oil of Olay lotion. It's innocent and gentle but still has a grown up woman sensibility to it. It's very comforting and wearable. I first wore this fragrance to bed and had memories of nursing my baby. To me, LDH is the scent of a baby and a mother. It is soothing, ethereal and just lovely. I will say there is a note that I do find a bit cloying-not sure if this is the hedione. Overall, it's a fragrance that is growing me- still deciding if this is the one, but it's certainly a contender.

I only discovered Frédéric Malle perfumes very recently and immediately fell in love with it!
I already have Iris Poudre and Lipstick rose but I am already addicted to few others. As it is a review about the L'eau d'hiver I would like two say few words about this particular gem.
First of all it is most amazing smell I have ever smelled, it is warm, clean, sexy and loving.
To me it does not remind me of winter as the name and description imply but then we all have different experiences in life that forms our tastes therefore it does not really matter.
The most important thing is that it constantly evolves, pleasantly surprising with every whiff.
I should probably say that I have a serious obsession with perfumes and I am always looking for THE ONE. That results in full cupboard of bottles and dashed hopes but not with this one. I have never experienced anything so complex and yet so fresh and warm at the same time.
And now to the sad part...it does not stay on my skin for more than four hours.. and it truly saddens me because I feel i finally discovered perfume heaven but I cannot have it. I just can't justify paying this price for perfume that does not last. I already have Iris Poudre and lipstick Rose and they stay on for days... but unfortunately not this one.. so close and yet so far...
I only hope that someone out there loves it as much as i do and their skin pH holds on to it at least for a day.
( I'm sure when the payday comes I will not be able to resist )

on 10/26/2014 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Edit: it's the perfect weather for Eau d'hiver. My DH, who almost never comments on perfume since I have so many, commented on two separate occasions, on how good I smelt. It may also be that I am getting older, but this is really nice. Added two stars. Note: if you like Angelica but find this too creamy, Angelique sous le pluie (sp?) is a bit fresher and sharper - almost like an Angelica gin and tonic.

-------
Original review:

I have the three 10ml travel pack. EH is milky, powdery, sweet on me. Sometimes I am in the mood for this, but oddly not in winter. It is a cuddly scent. A good friend of my DH reminded me that I took him fragrance shopping years ago and helped him select this. Apparently he has worn it since, and I had forgotten. Though I do like it, I cannot imagine wearing it for years nonstop. It's a very civilized scent. I have been trying to get my DH to try it, but he is happy with vetiver extraordinaire.

I wear this in the summer sometimes (I am not a super outdoorsy, warm weather person and am often in air conditioning, and it's creamy rich quality could be my subconscious yearning for ice cream chill to counteract the warm weather). I also wear it in the early spring, before It warms up totally outside and before I remember I have iris silver mist or en passant or Chanel Cristalle or 19 EdT. Of course, Eau d'hiver is less green and lacks the Galbanum bite. Actually, it has very little bite at all. To me, it's the marshmallow of the Frederic Malle line up. It doesn't read as sheer IMO because the dry down on my particular skin chemistry is powdery.

I am a fan of Frederic Malle, my favorite being Une Fleur de Cassie for many years. After decades of loathing anything with a hint of rose, I retried Une Rose and it was like a conversion. So I also wear quite a bit of Une Rose and POAL). i also wear a lot of vintage or post Theirry wasser Guerlain extract and Caron The reason why I digress is because, IMO, I imagine half the Malle line up seems to be modern twists on classic lines; and the other half, seems to follow modern sort of avant garde ( I kind of think hiver tries to belong to the avant garde, but in the end, plays it safe).
Other reviewers have compared this to Apr�s les ondee (modern Edt) which IMO is more translucent, light weight. I can clearly see the reference in Eau d' Hiver, but they are nothing alike in execution of the accords. I think Eau d' Hiver is closer in terms of density and the suggestion of powder to LHB, without the bite that marks LHB as vintage fragrance.

on 3/11/2011 9:15:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Like a slightly peppery version of Blanc, in that it's a cool sheer floral perfect for summer. Smooth and somehow white, like softly musk scented soap. It's rather lovely if very sheer, and I don't get the dreaded powdery notes at all.

on 8/10/2010 11:21:00 PM

Well... there had to be one. A complete bust. Ellena is human, turns out, and has bad days. Cloying synthetic powder without any of his signature transparence (and I speak of one who is never without a bottle of Cologne Bigarade, and finished 2 big bottles of Angeliques sous La Pluie). Cloying yet utterly insipid. Pee-ew. A scrubber.

I loath expensive fragrances that do not have lasting power. D'hiver is good for about 1-2 hours. Definately honey sweet. Does not seem to change much on my skin. It goes from being really sweet to nothing at all.

on 2/12/2009 11:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This is a beautiful scent, a little warm yet still a little crisp and lasts all of about 2.8 seconds on me and then pooof....its gone. Very disappointing. I was hoping it would re-emerge after the drydown.....still waiting :(

on 10/26/2008 7:16:00 PM

I love this, but it doesn't like me that much.

The honey note is pronounced on my skin, which makes it a no go for me, but if it worked with my chemistry, a large bottle would be on my dressing table right now.

It smells like the best soap ever.
It smells like sunshine on an icy day.
All those fragrances that want to capture 'air' or warm breath in winter: L'eau D'hiver is that fragrance.

on 4/2/2008 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

When I breath in l'Eau d'Hiver, I smell pine, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, honey, the slightest trace of jasmine, and after a few hours, a drydown of honeyed musk. It's fantastic, and reminds me of all the uncooked Indian spices that are sitting in my kitchen. I realize that all this was probably the furthest thing from Jean-Claude Ellena's mind when he made this (especially after you read the list of notes on the FM website, but the entire effect also reminds me the TINIEST bit of a new car smell.

Despite all these weird observations, I love it to death. I only wish the jasmine was a more prominent note (if it were, this would be my dream perfume).

JCE composes this scent in his famous minimalism with a goal to ENLIGHTEN Guerlain classic Apres LOndee. But Apres LOndee still smells much more poetically beautiful than this demure but dull composition. Even Apres LOndees modern successor, Guand Vient la Pluie smells closer to the poetic core of Apres L'Ondee than this. If JCE reckons that he can still move people emotionally by this simplified "Apres L'Ondee", he probably has to realize simplicity is not always a right thing for transfering right emotion. Some details just cannot be skipped or removed for a form of beauty.

Popular Fragrances