Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
No Image

4.3

on 7/3/2011 10:34:00 AM

The top notes are sheer JCE style which appeals to me. Too bad the powder murdered all hope I had of enjoying this.

Iris/musk + honey/vanilla. This is what the fragrance boils down to on my skin, and is the cool + warm combo that so many people enjoy. I was initially attracted to it, but with multiple wearings, I find that for me it's a little too split personality. I'm saying 'no' on buying again because there are a lot of other iris fragrances out there that have a more unified presence, and I'd choose any of them over this. I have to clarify that I also generally do not like honey/vanilla sweetness in fragrances. I don't mean to say that this is an overbearingly sweet fragrance, because it is not. However, you definitely need to like honey/vanilla notes to want to wear it, as well as the warm + cool split personality.

I love this, on me its a beautiful soft creamy almondy floral very subtle and sophisticated. Its a very comforting cosy snuggly type fragrance great for any season. This is one that I will buy a big bottle of.

on 11/5/2008 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

So much has been said about its chilly, icy whiteness, the dancing snowflakes... that I really start to doubt my own nose. Apart from the subtle, inoffensive freshness of the top notes (they fade very quickly), all I smell is a very soft, warm, sweet almondy snuggle. It seems so innocent and tender, that I would consider it the perfect baby scent. In fact it reminds me of baby toiletries, powder, clean diapers, baby-butt cream and of Petit Guerlain, not so much because of similar notes, but because of its barely there character and the caressing effect it has on my mood.
I cannot imagine that anyone would dislike this scent. It has a faint sillage that won't offend and which makes it suitable for every occasion. Eau d' Hiver is the opposite of the classic Eau, that many people love in hotter months for the citrusy, herbal freshness. The urge of having a refreshing shower in summer is as logical as the wish of a cozy warm hug in winter and this is what L'Eau d' Hiver gives to you. I only own a sample but will splurge the money for a full bottle. It's hard for me to face the coming harsh winter months without this. Tough I wonder whether this scent would get as much attention and bravos, if it was a drugstore product...

Very clean, freshly showered, pretty, feminine, mild, inoffensive. The drydown reminds me of a much lighter version of the drydown of AV by Adrienne Vittadini. (Plus, I got 50 ml of AV at TJ Maxx for about $12 and it has better sillage.)

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I dismissed this the first few times I tried it. It's so soft and so subtle that, when spritzed next to really any other scent (say in a store testing scenario), it is completely overpowered and kicked to the curb for being "unremarkable." Oh, how wrong I was, though. It's beautiful. Lovely. Comforting. Unique. A wisp of a mysterious lady. On its own, the overall affect is indeed ethereal. I can smell the heliotrope, hawthorn and honey, and delicate blossoms wafting in and out--little blooms emerging through the frost, perhaps? It reads like really wonderful and green-y shampoo--a head turn and whiff, "Ooooh, I smell clean today!" A great daytime or office or "baby handling" scent, when you don't want to overwhelm those around you with your sillage. I imagine people would have to get within hugging distance to really detect it. That said, I can't imagine it offending anyone. It's soft and refined--like your favorite old sweater. Just my cup of tea. And, hey, everyone needs a "blankey" scent in their collection. This one is mine. Expensive, but unusual, too. The more I wear it, the more I love it. FBW.

on 3/30/2008 3:33:00 PM

A dreamy, fairytale scent. Mist-swept, mysterious. On my skin, after an initial burst of citrus (bergamot?) I get strong refreshing green--I picture a dark-green stalk growing out of an ice-covered stream. A little like the smell of trees after it's rained, or of kale or another green leafy veg after it's been washed. Sounds odd, yes, but I love the vegetal freshness of this fragrance. Simultaneously, there's a clear caramel note on me. I adore and admire this dance, this back and forth between bitter frosty green and warm caramel. In the background is the softness of heliotrope and musk. Any time I wear this I get compliments--as long as I get close enough to someone for them to smell it! Yes, a skin scent. But an unusually divine one: ethereal yet tender. Good for me all year round: cashmere-comforting in winter, bergamot-green cooling in summer.

on 10/17/2007 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Absolute heaven. Heading for a decant as soon as possible. I get a really strong fresh cut and dried hay scent. I use to help bale hay when I was growing up and it comes through clearly on me. Wonderful!

on 5/30/2007 6:38:00 AM

As most of the reviewers here (and the name itself) suggest, L'Eau d'Hiver is a cold weather, comfort scent. It is a bit expensive to wear to bed (and sleep through), which is what I usually do with my comforters. I liked the unusual twist from the angelica and the heliotrope, but the biggest surprise is that I enjoy the vanilla in this. I'm a vanillaphobe, so this might be a bit of a breakthrough.

on 9/18/2006 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I can admire this perfume like people admire pictures in the museum, it does evoke pleasant dreams. But I CANNOT wear this perfume, for me it is not wearable at all.

Popular Fragrances