Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
No Image

3.2

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Very creamy with just a touch of sharpish greenness.
L'eau d'Hiver is very subtle, and it lives pretty close to the skin (lovers of "sillage" take note).

At first spritz, I believe this delicate scent is a bit overwhelmed by the alcohol, but after a moment, it becomes very mellow.
In the top notes there's something bread- or meal-like, which fades down pretty quickly. This isn't an unpleasant note .. I think I would be more inclined to think of it as "unusual" - I like this note on myself.

I believe L'eau d'Hiver would be safe to wear on any occasion, and equally good at any time of year. It's got a sort of incapturable something, so when I wear this, I keep sniffing and sniffing my wrists.
This is an excellent every-day go-to perfume, I'd consider it completely safe for the office, or other times when you want to be sure that your perfume isn't obtrusive.
L'eau d'Hiver is pretty fresh, but not completely clean or at all sterile-smelling. It seems to melt right into the skin, and it's not even clear if it's a perfume or nothing at all.

When you pick a dandelion, that white stuff oozes out of its stem - this smells like what that SHOULD smell like (and bears no resemblance to what it actually smells like).

on 6/21/2006 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

When first applied, I got strong anise and I thought 'no!', as I so dislike anise. It changed into a velvety, somewhat powdery, bittersweet scent with a melancholic air. There is a certain thing about it that reminds me of Extrait de Songe (EdS). They actually smell pretty much the same to me, although they share no notes. There's something present in both scents that bothers me, and with EdS I thought it was the hay. I get that hay note here as well. In L'eau d'Hiver, I get no heliotrope and maybe the bitterness is caused by the almond note others mentioned in their reviews. Both notes might be at the background, but the hay note takes over and is too present to my taste. The scent also reminds me of velvety grey mould. Maybe it just doesn't work as it should with my chemistry. A weird scent, not nasty, cloying, migraine-triggering or so, but unusual. Maybe it's an aquired taste. The lasting power is amazing: I put it on around 8 at night and the next morning I could still smell it. I still gave it 3 lippies, as it's definitely a quality scent and it's wearable even for me, I just don't like the restless feeling it gives me.

An ice nymph would wear L'Eau d'Hiver with ease, while dancing in the twilight amidst elves and goblins in a frozen, enchanted forest. While I'm always surprised at how synthetic it is upon opening, I'm even more taken aback by how subtle and sheer this powdery floral becomes after drydown. It is dreamy, lovely, and melts away over about three or four hours on my skin. I detect what seems like frozen heliotrope most in its last few moments, which is when it's most delightful for me, because as pretty as it in its strongest form, and as much as it seems to me to belong in a fairy tale, it's much too perfumey for my tastes, in the end.

on 10/20/2004 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This has an initial burst of cool winter(how did they do that?) that then develops into a powdery scent that smells very much like MK lipsticks. If that scent appeals to you then this fragrance is for you. I'll pass.

Absolutely lacking in the personality that makes up so many of the Malle line. Almost cheery and summery when it first goes on, it fades quickly to a iris, non-powdery violet and (vanilla?) scent with a dash of green somethingorother. Lasting power is fair--it's just suuuuuper light (on my skin anyway) and is definitely one of those jam-nose-against-arm-to-smell scents. Not bad, not wonderful, just bland. Misnamed, in my mind--it didn't bring on the mood of winter. Rather, it was the beginning of spring.