Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

Filtered by hair type : Straight
No Image

on 10/26/2014 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Edit: it's the perfect weather for Eau d'hiver. My DH, who almost never comments on perfume since I have so many, commented on two separate occasions, on how good I smelt. It may also be that I am getting older, but this is really nice. Added two stars. Note: if you like Angelica but find this too creamy, Angelique sous le pluie (sp?) is a bit fresher and sharper - almost like an Angelica gin and tonic.

-------
Original review:

I have the three 10ml travel pack. EH is milky, powdery, sweet on me. Sometimes I am in the mood for this, but oddly not in winter. It is a cuddly scent. A good friend of my DH reminded me that I took him fragrance shopping years ago and helped him select this. Apparently he has worn it since, and I had forgotten. Though I do like it, I cannot imagine wearing it for years nonstop. It's a very civilized scent. I have been trying to get my DH to try it, but he is happy with vetiver extraordinaire.

I wear this in the summer sometimes (I am not a super outdoorsy, warm weather person and am often in air conditioning, and it's creamy rich quality could be my subconscious yearning for ice cream chill to counteract the warm weather). I also wear it in the early spring, before It warms up totally outside and before I remember I have iris silver mist or en passant or Chanel Cristalle or 19 EdT. Of course, Eau d'hiver is less green and lacks the Galbanum bite. Actually, it has very little bite at all. To me, it's the marshmallow of the Frederic Malle line up. It doesn't read as sheer IMO because the dry down on my particular skin chemistry is powdery.

I am a fan of Frederic Malle, my favorite being Une Fleur de Cassie for many years. After decades of loathing anything with a hint of rose, I retried Une Rose and it was like a conversion. So I also wear quite a bit of Une Rose and POAL). i also wear a lot of vintage or post Theirry wasser Guerlain extract and Caron The reason why I digress is because, IMO, I imagine half the Malle line up seems to be modern twists on classic lines; and the other half, seems to follow modern sort of avant garde ( I kind of think hiver tries to belong to the avant garde, but in the end, plays it safe).
Other reviewers have compared this to Apr�s les ondee (modern Edt) which IMO is more translucent, light weight. I can clearly see the reference in Eau d' Hiver, but they are nothing alike in execution of the accords. I think Eau d' Hiver is closer in terms of density and the suggestion of powder to LHB, without the bite that marks LHB as vintage fragrance.

on 9/30/2011 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

L'Eau d'Hiver was love at first whiff. One of the best fragrances available. Soft, comforting, sweet, floral, light, classy, well-behaved, stays close to the body. Almost rosy and violet-like although rose and violet are not among the official notes. Absolutely gorgeous. Amazing. A masterpiece. My only reservation is that the chems bother the back of my throat, burn my nose a tad, and give me a slight headache (unusual), so I'm not sure I could wear this personally, but I'd be enthralled by anyone else wearing it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

L'eau D'Hiver is yet another Jean-Claude Ellena creation I can't seem to live without (along with Bois Farine, Vetiver Tonka, Angeliques Sous La Pluie and many more). Its opening is honeyed and peppery and somewhat medicinal, almost sharp. As it dries down, it becomes gentle, slightly powdery, and tenderly milky, in that near-transparent Ellena way. When I first tried it, it reminded me of Philosophy's Baby Grace with its barely-there powdery quality, but that fragrance is more soapy, whereas there is nothing soap-like in L'eau D'Hiver. I would call L'eau D'Hiver a comfort scent, but not in the fluffy or sugary sense. It's comforting the way a gentle snowfall is comforting. As others have said, it's a cold/warm scent, not at all overpowering, with little sillage, making it fine for any season. I find that I spray it a LOT, because the lasting power is not terrific, so it ends up being pretty expensive (I can get through a 10 ml bottle pretty quickly).

Iris/musk + honey/vanilla. This is what the fragrance boils down to on my skin, and is the cool + warm combo that so many people enjoy. I was initially attracted to it, but with multiple wearings, I find that for me it's a little too split personality. I'm saying 'no' on buying again because there are a lot of other iris fragrances out there that have a more unified presence, and I'd choose any of them over this. I have to clarify that I also generally do not like honey/vanilla sweetness in fragrances. I don't mean to say that this is an overbearingly sweet fragrance, because it is not. However, you definitely need to like honey/vanilla notes to want to wear it, as well as the warm + cool split personality.

on 6/2/2009 11:14:00 PM

If you were ever looking for a perfume that smells a lot like Lush's Snowcake soap (which is only available once a year at Christmastime), then L'eau D'Hiver is your gal. It's not an exact dupe of Snowcake, but has a coolness and distance about it - a JC-Ellena imprint, so to speak.

on 4/2/2008 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

When I breath in l'Eau d'Hiver, I smell pine, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, honey, the slightest trace of jasmine, and after a few hours, a drydown of honeyed musk. It's fantastic, and reminds me of all the uncooked Indian spices that are sitting in my kitchen. I realize that all this was probably the furthest thing from Jean-Claude Ellena's mind when he made this (especially after you read the list of notes on the FM website, but the entire effect also reminds me the TINIEST bit of a new car smell.

Despite all these weird observations, I love it to death. I only wish the jasmine was a more prominent note (if it were, this would be my dream perfume).

on 12/3/2006 2:19:00 AM

Initially quite peppery, it softens into something softer and more wearable. I get the impression of sheer, vanilla soap. Quite likable after the first stage has died down.

on 5/1/2006 3:37:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

L'Eau d'Hiver is to POTL as white chocolate is to real chocolate, as white corn syrup is to molasses, as white sugar is to brown--you get the idea. There is an insipid, synthetic edge to it which, I just realized, reminds me of the smell of a bottle of saccharin (Sucaryl) which my mother used to sweeten her coffee many years ago.

on 10/11/2005 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Very strong at first spritz - I recoiled a bit from the sharpness. Very marine and peppery opening - bordering on masculine. This quickly changes on my skin from strong and sharp, to subtle and powdery. The notes I get are grass, pepper, talc, and something that reminds me of the inside of a florist's shop - like wet, fresh flowers. It's quite pretty on the drydown...it's almost like Annick Goutal's Mandragore, but better and stronger. When I'm repeatedly sniffing my wrist after trying a fragrance ,it's a good sign :D I'd recommend to wait this one out when trying it for the first time. It changes dramatically. I'd consider purchasing a full sized bottle.

Popular Fragrances