Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
No Image

3.6

I only discovered Frédéric Malle perfumes very recently and immediately fell in love with it!
I already have Iris Poudre and Lipstick rose but I am already addicted to few others. As it is a review about the L'eau d'hiver I would like two say few words about this particular gem.
First of all it is most amazing smell I have ever smelled, it is warm, clean, sexy and loving.
To me it does not remind me of winter as the name and description imply but then we all have different experiences in life that forms our tastes therefore it does not really matter.
The most important thing is that it constantly evolves, pleasantly surprising with every whiff.
I should probably say that I have a serious obsession with perfumes and I am always looking for THE ONE. That results in full cupboard of bottles and dashed hopes but not with this one. I have never experienced anything so complex and yet so fresh and warm at the same time.
And now to the sad part...it does not stay on my skin for more than four hours.. and it truly saddens me because I feel i finally discovered perfume heaven but I cannot have it. I just can't justify paying this price for perfume that does not last. I already have Iris Poudre and lipstick Rose and they stay on for days... but unfortunately not this one.. so close and yet so far...
I only hope that someone out there loves it as much as i do and their skin pH holds on to it at least for a day.
( I'm sure when the payday comes I will not be able to resist )

on 8/14/2011 11:34:00 AM

One of my eternal love affairs and with the ever so helpful clich, a fragrance that is bigger than the sum of its parts. I fail each time I try to describe it to even myself. Leau dHiver is full of contradictions and magic on me; how can something be both so dry and so honeyed? How can honey be such a transparent note, earthy iris so cold and warm at the same time? If I try to break it into notes, I even dont like everything I come across. There is even a weird, grassy odd note. Still, L'eau d'Hiver transports me to another time and place where serenity reigns. I feel assured and content there.

on 7/3/2011 10:34:00 AM

The top notes are sheer JCE style which appeals to me. Too bad the powder murdered all hope I had of enjoying this.

on 3/11/2011 9:15:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Like a slightly peppery version of Blanc, in that it's a cool sheer floral perfect for summer. Smooth and somehow white, like softly musk scented soap. It's rather lovely if very sheer, and I don't get the dreaded powdery notes at all.

on 9/30/2010 1:17:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

This fragrance starts out smelling like an anthropomorphic cartoon flower (like the ones in Alice in Wonderland) chewing a piece of Chiclet gum. Then suddenly I smell nothing at all, as if the gum-chewing cartoon flower was just vaporized by the Invisible Man. This fragrance is really nothing special--especially for the price. I thought it was just my chemistry, but other reviewers are saying the same thing.

on 9/29/2010 12:53:00 AM

This is a very light fragrance but something in it annoys me, its smells like a very soft verbena although I see that's not actually a note. Anyway this is just blah for me.

on 8/10/2010 11:21:00 PM

Well... there had to be one. A complete bust. Ellena is human, turns out, and has bad days. Cloying synthetic powder without any of his signature transparence (and I speak of one who is never without a bottle of Cologne Bigarade, and finished 2 big bottles of Angeliques sous La Pluie). Cloying yet utterly insipid. Pee-ew. A scrubber.

on 10/26/2008 7:16:00 PM

I love this, but it doesn't like me that much.

The honey note is pronounced on my skin, which makes it a no go for me, but if it worked with my chemistry, a large bottle would be on my dressing table right now.

It smells like the best soap ever.
It smells like sunshine on an icy day.
All those fragrances that want to capture 'air' or warm breath in winter: L'eau D'hiver is that fragrance.

on 3/3/2008 1:31:00 PM

This is FB worthy for me. Soft and not too sweet. It just makes me say "Ahhhhhh" when I breathe it in. Very comforting scent, too. This is one that should be on everyone's "to try" list.

on 10/17/2007 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Absolute heaven. Heading for a decant as soon as possible. I get a really strong fresh cut and dried hay scent. I use to help bale hay when I was growing up and it comes through clearly on me. Wonderful!

Popular Fragrances