Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
No Image

3.9

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

L'eau D'Hiver is yet another Jean-Claude Ellena creation I can't seem to live without (along with Bois Farine, Vetiver Tonka, Angeliques Sous La Pluie and many more). Its opening is honeyed and peppery and somewhat medicinal, almost sharp. As it dries down, it becomes gentle, slightly powdery, and tenderly milky, in that near-transparent Ellena way. When I first tried it, it reminded me of Philosophy's Baby Grace with its barely-there powdery quality, but that fragrance is more soapy, whereas there is nothing soap-like in L'eau D'Hiver. I would call L'eau D'Hiver a comfort scent, but not in the fluffy or sugary sense. It's comforting the way a gentle snowfall is comforting. As others have said, it's a cold/warm scent, not at all overpowering, with little sillage, making it fine for any season. I find that I spray it a LOT, because the lasting power is not terrific, so it ends up being pretty expensive (I can get through a 10 ml bottle pretty quickly).

on 4/2/2008 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

When I breath in l'Eau d'Hiver, I smell pine, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, honey, the slightest trace of jasmine, and after a few hours, a drydown of honeyed musk. It's fantastic, and reminds me of all the uncooked Indian spices that are sitting in my kitchen. I realize that all this was probably the furthest thing from Jean-Claude Ellena's mind when he made this (especially after you read the list of notes on the FM website, but the entire effect also reminds me the TINIEST bit of a new car smell.

Despite all these weird observations, I love it to death. I only wish the jasmine was a more prominent note (if it were, this would be my dream perfume).

on 3/30/2008 3:33:00 PM

A dreamy, fairytale scent. Mist-swept, mysterious. On my skin, after an initial burst of citrus (bergamot?) I get strong refreshing green--I picture a dark-green stalk growing out of an ice-covered stream. A little like the smell of trees after it's rained, or of kale or another green leafy veg after it's been washed. Sounds odd, yes, but I love the vegetal freshness of this fragrance. Simultaneously, there's a clear caramel note on me. I adore and admire this dance, this back and forth between bitter frosty green and warm caramel. In the background is the softness of heliotrope and musk. Any time I wear this I get compliments--as long as I get close enough to someone for them to smell it! Yes, a skin scent. But an unusually divine one: ethereal yet tender. Good for me all year round: cashmere-comforting in winter, bergamot-green cooling in summer.

on 8/10/2007 10:37:00 PM

I eagerly awaited the arrival of my sample of this and thought I would love it, and indeed it smelled gorgeously intriguing when I sprayed it on a test strip. Very peppery at first from the bergamot but then wonderfully soft and "barely there." However, as much as i would like to wear it, this scent does not like me: when I spray it on my skin, it smells like something plastic. Like, if you stick your nose into a plastic bag or a brand new children's toy--ick.

on 6/21/2006 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

When first applied, I got strong anise and I thought 'no!', as I so dislike anise. It changed into a velvety, somewhat powdery, bittersweet scent with a melancholic air. There is a certain thing about it that reminds me of Extrait de Songe (EdS). They actually smell pretty much the same to me, although they share no notes. There's something present in both scents that bothers me, and with EdS I thought it was the hay. I get that hay note here as well. In L'eau d'Hiver, I get no heliotrope and maybe the bitterness is caused by the almond note others mentioned in their reviews. Both notes might be at the background, but the hay note takes over and is too present to my taste. The scent also reminds me of velvety grey mould. Maybe it just doesn't work as it should with my chemistry. A weird scent, not nasty, cloying, migraine-triggering or so, but unusual. Maybe it's an aquired taste. The lasting power is amazing: I put it on around 8 at night and the next morning I could still smell it. I still gave it 3 lippies, as it's definitely a quality scent and it's wearable even for me, I just don't like the restless feeling it gives me.

on 11/27/2005 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

Eau d'Hiver is nothing like any I've worn before, and I adore it. I don't feel like I know it well,or that it suits me particularly well, but I love it. Some scents make themselves known very easily, like people, but Eau d'Hiver is one that takes a long time to cozy up to. There is not a comforting scent, but a still, quiet scent that is elegant and a bit stiff; it reminds me of grey duchesse satin skirt. I smell seaweed, dry woods, hyacinth, and some water note. It is a fleeting and chilly, beautifully spare scent.

on 10/20/2004 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This has an initial burst of cool winter(how did they do that?) that then develops into a powdery scent that smells very much like MK lipsticks. If that scent appeals to you then this fragrance is for you. I'll pass.

Popular Fragrances