Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

No Image

on 9/30/2011 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

L'Eau d'Hiver was love at first whiff. One of the best fragrances available. Soft, comforting, sweet, floral, light, classy, well-behaved, stays close to the body. Almost rosy and violet-like although rose and violet are not among the official notes. Absolutely gorgeous. Amazing. A masterpiece. My only reservation is that the chems bother the back of my throat, burn my nose a tad, and give me a slight headache (unusual), so I'm not sure I could wear this personally, but I'd be enthralled by anyone else wearing it.

Very clean, freshly showered, pretty, feminine, mild, inoffensive. The drydown reminds me of a much lighter version of the drydown of AV by Adrienne Vittadini. (Plus, I got 50 ml of AV at TJ Maxx for about $12 and it has better sillage.)

on 7/21/2007 4:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I can only assume that I'm anosmic to something in this fragrance - perhaps it's time to rest my perfume weary nose. All I get is an initial blast of something peppery, followed by a fleeting floral. A great shame - I had expected to love this from the reviews but unfortunately for my nose it has a negligible presence.

on 9/18/2006 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I can admire this perfume like people admire pictures in the museum, it does evoke pleasant dreams. But I CANNOT wear this perfume, for me it is not wearable at all.

on 1/31/2006 1:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm disappointed. I've been looking for a marine scent to love and thought, after reading all the rave reviews, that this would be it. But, alas, it smells like all the other marine scents to me. Nothing special. No complexity.

on 1/5/2006 12:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

What a contemplative, wistful, ethereal conjuration this is. It starts out a bit bracing and astringent, almost like a bergamot or lemon grass, and then settles into a mellow fugue that reminds me of the scent left on my hands and clothes after I have been baking. Powdery, perhaps, but maybe a bit floury, as well. Today the snow falls steadily, and the spruces are wearing powdered sugar finery. The sky is the color of doves, and the foghorns call mournfully to one another. Inside, white birch crackles in the old iron stove, and I am moved to think tenderly of those I love, who trust me with their gentle hearts. This is a spiritual fragrance, which will move you to meditate on the sad beauty of winter, and appreciate the warmth of your inner hearth. The white of the snow, the white of the birch, and the inner fire of your soul will be soothed by its gentle song.

on 9/20/2005 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

What a wonderfully strange, snake-y fragrance. It opens with a fresh blast of cold green grass, then - and I know none of the notes suggest this, but I swear it's what I smell - dry, smoky incense. About two minutes later the smoke drifts aways and reveals soft cool powder, and then I get another greenish note - cucumber? Something fresh and watery. It starts to warm and get very slightly musky, a beautifully understated skin scent, and then it almost disappears, and then, bam - starts all over again in random order. It's unpredictable and ethereally beautiful, and I think it could be worn any time of year.

Tenacious, yet serene and calm. This perfume epitomizes its name: L'eau d'Hiver. Upon first contact, it sends a gentle aroma of white, green floral, and perhaps musk, almost like baby powder without that powdery scent. Next, the aroma just clings and linger on the back of my throat and nose with almost a chemical/synthetic quality to it as if it permeates into my olfactory sense. It reminds me of eating too much of Jello pistachio pudding, that synthetic sweet sensation it left behind on my throat. Pleasant, but artificial. The tenacity gives way to something warm, almost vanillic, but definitely not amber or spice, a very clean finish to the perfume.

In my opinion, this is a brilliant composition of synthetic ingredients which evokes the silence of winter. A gentle whif of this fragrance gives me that subdued and clam feeling. I'm pleasantly surprised with this.

Popular Fragrances