Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

4.1

on 9/30/2011 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

L'Eau d'Hiver was love at first whiff. One of the best fragrances available. Soft, comforting, sweet, floral, light, classy, well-behaved, stays close to the body. Almost rosy and violet-like although rose and violet are not among the official notes. Absolutely gorgeous. Amazing. A masterpiece. My only reservation is that the chems bother the back of my throat, burn my nose a tad, and give me a slight headache (unusual), so I'm not sure I could wear this personally, but I'd be enthralled by anyone else wearing it.

on 2/21/2011 8:24:00 PM

L'Eau d'Hiver is a skin scent that starts with bergamont and then decends into white powderiness. Initially, I feared that it would be too floral for me, but the honey and musk balance the forals beautifully.

I am crazy about the dry down, when L'Eau d'Hiver seems to become about skin.It is a beautifully executed abstract, a delicate white powdered sweetness that combines with the skin.

L'Eau d'Hiver is said to be inspired by Apres l'Ondee. Both fragrances are the delicate and shy type. This makes L 'Eau d'Hiver a great fragrance for any situation where you do not want major sillage, and any situation where you want your skin to seem very special.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Very, very well executed Iris.
It is really weird how it changes is worn in cold or warm temperatures!
When it's cool outside, I get a powdery, cool iris, quite fleeting but sophisticated and classy at the same time.
In summer, I get a much warmer scent.There is honey & caramel, and an herbal note like chamomile tea!
Staying power in enhanced in warm weather. The flowers is it, besides iris, blossom amplified and you'll recognize a warm and powdery heliotrope, some carnation (very mild) and a warm jasmine.
A perfect soft floral-powdery composition... sheet a perhaps a bit fleeting, but I very well understand why it is loved by so many!
Get a sample!

______
notes
white heliotrope, bergamot, angelica, iris, hawthorn, jasmine, carnation, caramel, musk, and honey.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

L'eau D'Hiver is yet another Jean-Claude Ellena creation I can't seem to live without (along with Bois Farine, Vetiver Tonka, Angeliques Sous La Pluie and many more). Its opening is honeyed and peppery and somewhat medicinal, almost sharp. As it dries down, it becomes gentle, slightly powdery, and tenderly milky, in that near-transparent Ellena way. When I first tried it, it reminded me of Philosophy's Baby Grace with its barely-there powdery quality, but that fragrance is more soapy, whereas there is nothing soap-like in L'eau D'Hiver. I would call L'eau D'Hiver a comfort scent, but not in the fluffy or sugary sense. It's comforting the way a gentle snowfall is comforting. As others have said, it's a cold/warm scent, not at all overpowering, with little sillage, making it fine for any season. I find that I spray it a LOT, because the lasting power is not terrific, so it ends up being pretty expensive (I can get through a 10 ml bottle pretty quickly).

Iris/musk + honey/vanilla. This is what the fragrance boils down to on my skin, and is the cool + warm combo that so many people enjoy. I was initially attracted to it, but with multiple wearings, I find that for me it's a little too split personality. I'm saying 'no' on buying again because there are a lot of other iris fragrances out there that have a more unified presence, and I'd choose any of them over this. I have to clarify that I also generally do not like honey/vanilla sweetness in fragrances. I don't mean to say that this is an overbearingly sweet fragrance, because it is not. However, you definitely need to like honey/vanilla notes to want to wear it, as well as the warm + cool split personality.

I love this, on me its a beautiful soft creamy almondy floral very subtle and sophisticated. Its a very comforting cosy snuggly type fragrance great for any season. This is one that I will buy a big bottle of.

on 11/5/2008 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

So much has been said about its chilly, icy whiteness, the dancing snowflakes... that I really start to doubt my own nose. Apart from the subtle, inoffensive freshness of the top notes (they fade very quickly), all I smell is a very soft, warm, sweet almondy snuggle. It seems so innocent and tender, that I would consider it the perfect baby scent. In fact it reminds me of baby toiletries, powder, clean diapers, baby-butt cream and of Petit Guerlain, not so much because of similar notes, but because of its barely there character and the caressing effect it has on my mood.
I cannot imagine that anyone would dislike this scent. It has a faint sillage that won't offend and which makes it suitable for every occasion. Eau d' Hiver is the opposite of the classic Eau, that many people love in hotter months for the citrusy, herbal freshness. The urge of having a refreshing shower in summer is as logical as the wish of a cozy warm hug in winter and this is what L'Eau d' Hiver gives to you. I only own a sample but will splurge the money for a full bottle. It's hard for me to face the coming harsh winter months without this. Tough I wonder whether this scent would get as much attention and bravos, if it was a drugstore product...

Very clean, freshly showered, pretty, feminine, mild, inoffensive. The drydown reminds me of a much lighter version of the drydown of AV by Adrienne Vittadini. (Plus, I got 50 ml of AV at TJ Maxx for about $12 and it has better sillage.)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Very creamy with just a touch of sharpish greenness.
L'eau d'Hiver is very subtle, and it lives pretty close to the skin (lovers of "sillage" take note).

At first spritz, I believe this delicate scent is a bit overwhelmed by the alcohol, but after a moment, it becomes very mellow.
In the top notes there's something bread- or meal-like, which fades down pretty quickly. This isn't an unpleasant note .. I think I would be more inclined to think of it as "unusual" - I like this note on myself.

I believe L'eau d'Hiver would be safe to wear on any occasion, and equally good at any time of year. It's got a sort of incapturable something, so when I wear this, I keep sniffing and sniffing my wrists.
This is an excellent every-day go-to perfume, I'd consider it completely safe for the office, or other times when you want to be sure that your perfume isn't obtrusive.
L'eau d'Hiver is pretty fresh, but not completely clean or at all sterile-smelling. It seems to melt right into the skin, and it's not even clear if it's a perfume or nothing at all.

When you pick a dandelion, that white stuff oozes out of its stem - this smells like what that SHOULD smell like (and bears no resemblance to what it actually smells like).

on 3/30/2008 3:33:00 PM

A dreamy, fairytale scent. Mist-swept, mysterious. On my skin, after an initial burst of citrus (bergamot?) I get strong refreshing green--I picture a dark-green stalk growing out of an ice-covered stream. A little like the smell of trees after it's rained, or of kale or another green leafy veg after it's been washed. Sounds odd, yes, but I love the vegetal freshness of this fragrance. Simultaneously, there's a clear caramel note on me. I adore and admire this dance, this back and forth between bitter frosty green and warm caramel. In the background is the softness of heliotrope and musk. Any time I wear this I get compliments--as long as I get close enough to someone for them to smell it! Yes, a skin scent. But an unusually divine one: ethereal yet tender. Good for me all year round: cashmere-comforting in winter, bergamot-green cooling in summer.