Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

Filtered by skin tone : Other
No Image

3.8

on 3/6/2008 10:05:00 PM

This is sweet, pleasant and unintrusive, but to me, pretty forgettable. I much prefer Therese to this. I would find it hard to identify/differentiate this from all the white florals out there.

on 7/21/2007 4:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I can only assume that I'm anosmic to something in this fragrance - perhaps it's time to rest my perfume weary nose. All I get is an initial blast of something peppery, followed by a fleeting floral. A great shame - I had expected to love this from the reviews but unfortunately for my nose it has a negligible presence.

on 2/19/2007 6:46:00 AM

A calm, comforting scent. After the initial crispy opening of bergamot, I get some colder notes including iris and angelica, then it settles down with the most gorgeous soft hawthorn, mixed up with musk in the dry-down. I get no caramel. There is something very serene in this composition, like watching falling snow through a window, wrapped up in a pale cachemire blanket, thinking of a loved one.
P.S.Has something in common with SL Daim Blond (just checked it up and both have hawthorn and heliotrope).

L'Eau d'Hiver is snow and it's ice, it's everything nice! This is like ice crystals suspended in the air and surrounding me. This is winter solstice meets spring equinox. This is great during the hotter months. It reminds me of winter without the winter blues, february blahs, or the holiday 10s. On some this seems to suggest the absence of hope, as in C. S. Lewis's The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe -- where it was always winter but never Christmas. On me this feels fantastic. It makes me feel like I am in McCay's In the Land of Wonderful Dreams. I loved the anise-y opening and the soft sweet --somewhat flowery-- musc drydown.

Very sophisticated, a bit floral, a bit green/earthy, but very powdery, too. Won't be purchasing as I don't care for powdery scents.

I love what columbina wrote:
"This is late winter or early spring, pale sky, melting snow through which one can almost see the black earth and the very first frail sprouts of grass. Very light, very pale, slightly green and not for me."
But it is for me. It's soft, and as someone else pointed out ethereal. It's both light and complex. Powdery(I see the similarities to Kenzo, but this is much, much better imo), but also a wet airy floral. L'Eau D'Hiver is so pretty, yet its beauty stems from sadness; like the stereotype idea of a french woman softly crying in a Goddard film. It's a sweet, emotional scent. I don't know, perhaps the end of winter and/or the arrival of spring evoke these feelings in me....anyway, it's a beautiful nostalgia.

on 9/20/2005 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

What a wonderfully strange, snake-y fragrance. It opens with a fresh blast of cold green grass, then - and I know none of the notes suggest this, but I swear it's what I smell - dry, smoky incense. About two minutes later the smoke drifts aways and reveals soft cool powder, and then I get another greenish note - cucumber? Something fresh and watery. It starts to warm and get very slightly musky, a beautifully understated skin scent, and then it almost disappears, and then, bam - starts all over again in random order. It's unpredictable and ethereally beautiful, and I think it could be worn any time of year.

on 9/15/2005 3:52:00 PM

This one was all baby powder on me. It reminded me of diapers and that's just not something I want to smell like. I think a whiff of cucumber was coming through in the end, but I couldn't stick it out to see where this fragrance was going. Definitely not what I was expecting. Winter, my foot. I have no idea whose winter this smells like, but I'm glad it's not mine.

on 6/21/2005 4:05:00 PM

Cool flowers on top, warm muskiness underneath. The fragrance evokes coziness and comfort, so it's perfect for those cold, cold winters. It's also slightly powdery but never so much that it would seem old-fashioned. It's not. This is what Snow White would wear.

on 5/1/2005 12:36:00 PM

I fell so deeply in love with the 5ml sample, I purchased the 3.4 oz bottle direct from Paris. This is the most delicious scent. I get the musk about 1-2 hours into it. The jasmine is not detected because I HATE jasmine. It is so well blended and perfect for anything.

Popular Fragrances