Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

No Image

3.9

on 10/26/2014 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Edit: it's the perfect weather for Eau d'hiver. My DH, who almost never comments on perfume since I have so many, commented on two separate occasions, on how good I smelt. It may also be that I am getting older, but this is really nice. Added two stars. Note: if you like Angelica but find this too creamy, Angelique sous le pluie (sp?) is a bit fresher and sharper - almost like an Angelica gin and tonic.

-------
Original review:

I have the three 10ml travel pack. EH is milky, powdery, sweet on me. Sometimes I am in the mood for this, but oddly not in winter. It is a cuddly scent. A good friend of my DH reminded me that I took him fragrance shopping years ago and helped him select this. Apparently he has worn it since, and I had forgotten. Though I do like it, I cannot imagine wearing it for years nonstop. It's a very civilized scent. I have been trying to get my DH to try it, but he is happy with vetiver extraordinaire.

I wear this in the summer sometimes (I am not a super outdoorsy, warm weather person and am often in air conditioning, and it's creamy rich quality could be my subconscious yearning for ice cream chill to counteract the warm weather). I also wear it in the early spring, before It warms up totally outside and before I remember I have iris silver mist or en passant or Chanel Cristalle or 19 EdT. Of course, Eau d'hiver is less green and lacks the Galbanum bite. Actually, it has very little bite at all. To me, it's the marshmallow of the Frederic Malle line up. It doesn't read as sheer IMO because the dry down on my particular skin chemistry is powdery.

I am a fan of Frederic Malle, my favorite being Une Fleur de Cassie for many years. After decades of loathing anything with a hint of rose, I retried Une Rose and it was like a conversion. So I also wear quite a bit of Une Rose and POAL). i also wear a lot of vintage or post Theirry wasser Guerlain extract and Caron The reason why I digress is because, IMO, I imagine half the Malle line up seems to be modern twists on classic lines; and the other half, seems to follow modern sort of avant garde ( I kind of think hiver tries to belong to the avant garde, but in the end, plays it safe).
Other reviewers have compared this to Apr�s les ondee (modern Edt) which IMO is more translucent, light weight. I can clearly see the reference in Eau d' Hiver, but they are nothing alike in execution of the accords. I think Eau d' Hiver is closer in terms of density and the suggestion of powder to LHB, without the bite that marks LHB as vintage fragrance.

on 9/30/2011 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

L'Eau d'Hiver was love at first whiff. One of the best fragrances available. Soft, comforting, sweet, floral, light, classy, well-behaved, stays close to the body. Almost rosy and violet-like although rose and violet are not among the official notes. Absolutely gorgeous. Amazing. A masterpiece. My only reservation is that the chems bother the back of my throat, burn my nose a tad, and give me a slight headache (unusual), so I'm not sure I could wear this personally, but I'd be enthralled by anyone else wearing it.

on 8/14/2011 11:34:00 AM

One of my eternal love affairs and with the ever so helpful clich, a fragrance that is bigger than the sum of its parts. I fail each time I try to describe it to even myself. Leau dHiver is full of contradictions and magic on me; how can something be both so dry and so honeyed? How can honey be such a transparent note, earthy iris so cold and warm at the same time? If I try to break it into notes, I even dont like everything I come across. There is even a weird, grassy odd note. Still, L'eau d'Hiver transports me to another time and place where serenity reigns. I feel assured and content there.

on 8/8/2011 1:01:00 PM

This is absolutely a emotionally charged scent for me. Though subtle it evolves beautifully . Salty and slightly peppery to begin becoming slightlycrunchy with white powder- yes, like fresh snow ....onwards into a slightly sweet skin scent . Heliptrope and iris stand out on me with veyr light hints of honey. It's warm and cold ,clean and reminds me of expensive soap . Very beautiful . It has surprising tenacity for a light scent . A versatile scent and signature scent worthy. I hope this is never ever discontinued.
Whereas Apres L'ondee is melancholic, L'eau d'Hiver is just wistful and dreamy.

on 2/21/2011 8:24:00 PM

L'Eau d'Hiver is a skin scent that starts with bergamont and then decends into white powderiness. Initially, I feared that it would be too floral for me, but the honey and musk balance the forals beautifully.

I am crazy about the dry down, when L'Eau d'Hiver seems to become about skin.It is a beautifully executed abstract, a delicate white powdered sweetness that combines with the skin.

L'Eau d'Hiver is said to be inspired by Apres l'Ondee. Both fragrances are the delicate and shy type. This makes L 'Eau d'Hiver a great fragrance for any situation where you do not want major sillage, and any situation where you want your skin to seem very special.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

L'eau D'Hiver is yet another Jean-Claude Ellena creation I can't seem to live without (along with Bois Farine, Vetiver Tonka, Angeliques Sous La Pluie and many more). Its opening is honeyed and peppery and somewhat medicinal, almost sharp. As it dries down, it becomes gentle, slightly powdery, and tenderly milky, in that near-transparent Ellena way. When I first tried it, it reminded me of Philosophy's Baby Grace with its barely-there powdery quality, but that fragrance is more soapy, whereas there is nothing soap-like in L'eau D'Hiver. I would call L'eau D'Hiver a comfort scent, but not in the fluffy or sugary sense. It's comforting the way a gentle snowfall is comforting. As others have said, it's a cold/warm scent, not at all overpowering, with little sillage, making it fine for any season. I find that I spray it a LOT, because the lasting power is not terrific, so it ends up being pretty expensive (I can get through a 10 ml bottle pretty quickly).

I love this, on me its a beautiful soft creamy almondy floral very subtle and sophisticated. Its a very comforting cosy snuggly type fragrance great for any season. This is one that I will buy a big bottle of.

on 11/5/2008 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

So much has been said about its chilly, icy whiteness, the dancing snowflakes... that I really start to doubt my own nose. Apart from the subtle, inoffensive freshness of the top notes (they fade very quickly), all I smell is a very soft, warm, sweet almondy snuggle. It seems so innocent and tender, that I would consider it the perfect baby scent. In fact it reminds me of baby toiletries, powder, clean diapers, baby-butt cream and of Petit Guerlain, not so much because of similar notes, but because of its barely there character and the caressing effect it has on my mood.
I cannot imagine that anyone would dislike this scent. It has a faint sillage that won't offend and which makes it suitable for every occasion. Eau d' Hiver is the opposite of the classic Eau, that many people love in hotter months for the citrusy, herbal freshness. The urge of having a refreshing shower in summer is as logical as the wish of a cozy warm hug in winter and this is what L'Eau d' Hiver gives to you. I only own a sample but will splurge the money for a full bottle. It's hard for me to face the coming harsh winter months without this. Tough I wonder whether this scent would get as much attention and bravos, if it was a drugstore product...

on 3/30/2008 3:33:00 PM

A dreamy, fairytale scent. Mist-swept, mysterious. On my skin, after an initial burst of citrus (bergamot?) I get strong refreshing green--I picture a dark-green stalk growing out of an ice-covered stream. A little like the smell of trees after it's rained, or of kale or another green leafy veg after it's been washed. Sounds odd, yes, but I love the vegetal freshness of this fragrance. Simultaneously, there's a clear caramel note on me. I adore and admire this dance, this back and forth between bitter frosty green and warm caramel. In the background is the softness of heliotrope and musk. Any time I wear this I get compliments--as long as I get close enough to someone for them to smell it! Yes, a skin scent. But an unusually divine one: ethereal yet tender. Good for me all year round: cashmere-comforting in winter, bergamot-green cooling in summer.

on 3/6/2008 2:49:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

a wonderful,tender,warm scent :it is like a cachemire scarf...very elegant and classy even if the sillage is just 3 hours i think i could wear it everyday ...a very comforting scent,a nother winner from j.c. ellena!!

Popular Fragrances