Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

No Image

3.9

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I dismissed this the first few times I tried it. It's so soft and so subtle that, when spritzed next to really any other scent (say in a store testing scenario), it is completely overpowered and kicked to the curb for being "unremarkable." Oh, how wrong I was, though. It's beautiful. Lovely. Comforting. Unique. A wisp of a mysterious lady. On its own, the overall affect is indeed ethereal. I can smell the heliotrope, hawthorn and honey, and delicate blossoms wafting in and out--little blooms emerging through the frost, perhaps? It reads like really wonderful and green-y shampoo--a head turn and whiff, "Ooooh, I smell clean today!" A great daytime or office or "baby handling" scent, when you don't want to overwhelm those around you with your sillage. I imagine people would have to get within hugging distance to really detect it. That said, I can't imagine it offending anyone. It's soft and refined--like your favorite old sweater. Just my cup of tea. And, hey, everyone needs a "blankey" scent in their collection. This one is mine. Expensive, but unusual, too. The more I wear it, the more I love it. FBW.

on 11/5/2008 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

So much has been said about its chilly, icy whiteness, the dancing snowflakes... that I really start to doubt my own nose. Apart from the subtle, inoffensive freshness of the top notes (they fade very quickly), all I smell is a very soft, warm, sweet almondy snuggle. It seems so innocent and tender, that I would consider it the perfect baby scent. In fact it reminds me of baby toiletries, powder, clean diapers, baby-butt cream and of Petit Guerlain, not so much because of similar notes, but because of its barely there character and the caressing effect it has on my mood.
I cannot imagine that anyone would dislike this scent. It has a faint sillage that won't offend and which makes it suitable for every occasion. Eau d' Hiver is the opposite of the classic Eau, that many people love in hotter months for the citrusy, herbal freshness. The urge of having a refreshing shower in summer is as logical as the wish of a cozy warm hug in winter and this is what L'Eau d' Hiver gives to you. I only own a sample but will splurge the money for a full bottle. It's hard for me to face the coming harsh winter months without this. Tough I wonder whether this scent would get as much attention and bravos, if it was a drugstore product...

on 8/8/2011 1:01:00 PM

This is absolutely a emotionally charged scent for me. Though subtle it evolves beautifully . Salty and slightly peppery to begin becoming slightlycrunchy with white powder- yes, like fresh snow ....onwards into a slightly sweet skin scent . Heliptrope and iris stand out on me with veyr light hints of honey. It's warm and cold ,clean and reminds me of expensive soap . Very beautiful . It has surprising tenacity for a light scent . A versatile scent and signature scent worthy. I hope this is never ever discontinued.
Whereas Apres L'ondee is melancholic, L'eau d'Hiver is just wistful and dreamy.

on 2/21/2011 8:24:00 PM

L'Eau d'Hiver is a skin scent that starts with bergamont and then decends into white powderiness. Initially, I feared that it would be too floral for me, but the honey and musk balance the forals beautifully.

I am crazy about the dry down, when L'Eau d'Hiver seems to become about skin.It is a beautifully executed abstract, a delicate white powdered sweetness that combines with the skin.

L'Eau d'Hiver is said to be inspired by Apres l'Ondee. Both fragrances are the delicate and shy type. This makes L 'Eau d'Hiver a great fragrance for any situation where you do not want major sillage, and any situation where you want your skin to seem very special.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Very creamy with just a touch of sharpish greenness.
L'eau d'Hiver is very subtle, and it lives pretty close to the skin (lovers of "sillage" take note).

At first spritz, I believe this delicate scent is a bit overwhelmed by the alcohol, but after a moment, it becomes very mellow.
In the top notes there's something bread- or meal-like, which fades down pretty quickly. This isn't an unpleasant note .. I think I would be more inclined to think of it as "unusual" - I like this note on myself.

I believe L'eau d'Hiver would be safe to wear on any occasion, and equally good at any time of year. It's got a sort of incapturable something, so when I wear this, I keep sniffing and sniffing my wrists.
This is an excellent every-day go-to perfume, I'd consider it completely safe for the office, or other times when you want to be sure that your perfume isn't obtrusive.
L'eau d'Hiver is pretty fresh, but not completely clean or at all sterile-smelling. It seems to melt right into the skin, and it's not even clear if it's a perfume or nothing at all.

When you pick a dandelion, that white stuff oozes out of its stem - this smells like what that SHOULD smell like (and bears no resemblance to what it actually smells like).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

L'eau D'Hiver is yet another Jean-Claude Ellena creation I can't seem to live without (along with Bois Farine, Vetiver Tonka, Angeliques Sous La Pluie and many more). Its opening is honeyed and peppery and somewhat medicinal, almost sharp. As it dries down, it becomes gentle, slightly powdery, and tenderly milky, in that near-transparent Ellena way. When I first tried it, it reminded me of Philosophy's Baby Grace with its barely-there powdery quality, but that fragrance is more soapy, whereas there is nothing soap-like in L'eau D'Hiver. I would call L'eau D'Hiver a comfort scent, but not in the fluffy or sugary sense. It's comforting the way a gentle snowfall is comforting. As others have said, it's a cold/warm scent, not at all overpowering, with little sillage, making it fine for any season. I find that I spray it a LOT, because the lasting power is not terrific, so it ends up being pretty expensive (I can get through a 10 ml bottle pretty quickly).

on 6/2/2009 11:14:00 PM

If you were ever looking for a perfume that smells a lot like Lush's Snowcake soap (which is only available once a year at Christmastime), then L'eau D'Hiver is your gal. It's not an exact dupe of Snowcake, but has a coolness and distance about it - a JC-Ellena imprint, so to speak.

on 3/30/2008 3:33:00 PM

A dreamy, fairytale scent. Mist-swept, mysterious. On my skin, after an initial burst of citrus (bergamot?) I get strong refreshing green--I picture a dark-green stalk growing out of an ice-covered stream. A little like the smell of trees after it's rained, or of kale or another green leafy veg after it's been washed. Sounds odd, yes, but I love the vegetal freshness of this fragrance. Simultaneously, there's a clear caramel note on me. I adore and admire this dance, this back and forth between bitter frosty green and warm caramel. In the background is the softness of heliotrope and musk. Any time I wear this I get compliments--as long as I get close enough to someone for them to smell it! Yes, a skin scent. But an unusually divine one: ethereal yet tender. Good for me all year round: cashmere-comforting in winter, bergamot-green cooling in summer.

on 2/19/2007 6:46:00 AM

A calm, comforting scent. After the initial crispy opening of bergamot, I get some colder notes including iris and angelica, then it settles down with the most gorgeous soft hawthorn, mixed up with musk in the dry-down. I get no caramel. There is something very serene in this composition, like watching falling snow through a window, wrapped up in a pale cachemire blanket, thinking of a loved one.
P.S.Has something in common with SL Daim Blond (just checked it up and both have hawthorn and heliotrope).

on 11/7/2011 7:13:00 PM

I finally bought the 3 travel sizes of this, unsniffed, from Aedes because I couldn't find anyone who would part with any of theirs :).
I love it. Again, right up my alley. bergamot, angelica, iris, hawthorn, jasmine, honey, carnation, heliotrope, caramel and musk. Initially I get a blast of heliotrope and bergamot and it quickly settles down into PlayDoh territory. Frankly, at this point, it smells just like Lush's Snowcake. However, whereas Snowcake continues to smell like playdoh, Hiver starts developing a hint of honey and an aniseed scent (angelica). The heliotrope continues to linger and the scent becomes slightly floral, the hawthorne peeks its head out (hooray!) with the musk developing in the background, and on my skin it stays at this stage. This is a beautiful, snuggly skin scent that is sophisticated yet quiet. A winner!