Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

3.9

on 5/27/2016 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I've been on the hunt for a new signature scent and was intrigued by Frederic Malle's line, thanks to numerous beauty editors and fragrance sites that rave about the artistry and quality. This is the fourth FM scent I have tried(started with Carnal Flower; Eau de Magnolia; En Passant) and now L'eau D'hiver. On my skin the first spritz is very springy and green. I get where other reviews say this is an icy fragrance, but that iciness is fleeting. This to me is FM's softest fragrance, it reminds me a bit of Annick Goutal's Eau de Ciel and the drydown of Prada's Iris perfume. I get a huge whiff of baby powder or Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo or the pink Oil of Olay lotion. It's innocent and gentle but still has a grown up woman sensibility to it. It's very comforting and wearable. I first wore this fragrance to bed and had memories of nursing my baby. To me, LDH is the scent of a baby and a mother. It is soothing, ethereal and just lovely. I will say there is a note that I do find a bit cloying-not sure if this is the hedione. Overall, it's a fragrance that is growing me- still deciding if this is the one, but it's certainly a contender.

I only discovered Frédéric Malle perfumes very recently and immediately fell in love with it!
I already have Iris Poudre and Lipstick rose but I am already addicted to few others. As it is a review about the L'eau d'hiver I would like two say few words about this particular gem.
First of all it is most amazing smell I have ever smelled, it is warm, clean, sexy and loving.
To me it does not remind me of winter as the name and description imply but then we all have different experiences in life that forms our tastes therefore it does not really matter.
The most important thing is that it constantly evolves, pleasantly surprising with every whiff.
I should probably say that I have a serious obsession with perfumes and I am always looking for THE ONE. That results in full cupboard of bottles and dashed hopes but not with this one. I have never experienced anything so complex and yet so fresh and warm at the same time.
And now to the sad part...it does not stay on my skin for more than four hours.. and it truly saddens me because I feel i finally discovered perfume heaven but I cannot have it. I just can't justify paying this price for perfume that does not last. I already have Iris Poudre and lipstick Rose and they stay on for days... but unfortunately not this one.. so close and yet so far...
I only hope that someone out there loves it as much as i do and their skin pH holds on to it at least for a day.
( I'm sure when the payday comes I will not be able to resist )

To Read all 92 Reviews, Login or Join

on 10/26/2014 9:54:00 AM

I have the three 10ml travel pack. EH is milky, powdery, sweet on me. Sometimes I am in the mood for this, but oddly not in winter. It is a cuddly scent. A good friend of my DH reminded me that I took him fragrance shopping years ago and helped him select this. Apparently he has worn it since, and I had forgotten. Though I do like it, I cannot imagine wearing it for years nonstop. It's a very civilized scent. I have been trying to get my DH to try it, but he is happy with vetiver extraordinaire.

I wear this in the summer sometimes (I am not a super outdoorsy, warm weather person and am often in air conditioning, and it's creamy rich quality could be my subconscious yearning for ice cream chill to counteract the warm weather). I also wear it in the early spring, before It warms up totally outside and before I remember I have iris silver mist or en passant or Chanel Cristalle or 19 EdT. Of course, Eau d'hiver is less green and lacks the Galbanum bite. Actually, it has very little bite at all. To me, it's the marshmallow of the Frederic Malle line up. It doesn't read as sheer IMO because the dry down on my particular skin chemistry is powdery.

I am a fan of Frederic Malle, my favorite being Une Fleur de Cassie for many years. After decades of loathing anything with a hint of rose, I retried Une Rose and it was like a conversion. So I also wear quite a bit of Une Rose and POAL). i also wear a lot of vintage or post Theirry wasser Guerlain extract and Caron The reason why I digress is because, IMO, I imagine half the Malle line up seems to be modern twists on classic lines; and the other half, seems to follow modern sort of avant garde ( I kind of think hiver tries to belong to the avant garde, but in the end, plays it safe).
Other reviewers have compared this to Aprs les ondee (modern Edt) which IMO is more translucent, light weight. I can clearly see the reference in Eau d' Hiver, but they are nothing alike in execution of the accords. I think Eau d' Hiver is closer in terms of density and the suggestion of powder to LHB, without the bite that marks LHB as vintage fragrance.

on 11/7/2011 7:13:00 PM

I finally bought the 3 travel sizes of this, unsniffed, from Aedes because I couldn't find anyone who would part with any of theirs :).
I love it. Again, right up my alley. bergamot, angelica, iris, hawthorn, jasmine, honey, carnation, heliotrope, caramel and musk. Initially I get a blast of heliotrope and bergamot and it quickly settles down into PlayDoh territory. Frankly, at this point, it smells just like Lush's Snowcake. However, whereas Snowcake continues to smell like playdoh, Hiver starts developing a hint of honey and an aniseed scent (angelica). The heliotrope continues to linger and the scent becomes slightly floral, the hawthorne peeks its head out (hooray!) with the musk developing in the background, and on my skin it stays at this stage. This is a beautiful, snuggly skin scent that is sophisticated yet quiet. A winner!

on 9/30/2011 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

L'Eau d'Hiver was love at first whiff. One of the best fragrances available. Soft, comforting, sweet, floral, light, classy, well-behaved, stays close to the body. Almost rosy and violet-like although rose and violet are not among the official notes. Absolutely gorgeous. Amazing. A masterpiece. My only reservation is that the chems bother the back of my throat, burn my nose a tad, and give me a slight headache (unusual), so I'm not sure I could wear this personally, but I'd be enthralled by anyone else wearing it.

on 8/14/2011 11:34:00 AM

One of my eternal love affairs and with the ever so helpful clich, a fragrance that is bigger than the sum of its parts. I fail each time I try to describe it to even myself. Leau dHiver is full of contradictions and magic on me; how can something be both so dry and so honeyed? How can honey be such a transparent note, earthy iris so cold and warm at the same time? If I try to break it into notes, I even dont like everything I come across. There is even a weird, grassy odd note. Still, L'eau d'Hiver transports me to another time and place where serenity reigns. I feel assured and content there.

on 8/8/2011 1:01:00 PM

This is absolutely a emotionally charged scent for me. Though subtle it evolves beautifully . Salty and slightly peppery to begin becoming slightlycrunchy with white powder- yes, like fresh snow ....onwards into a slightly sweet skin scent . Heliptrope and iris stand out on me with veyr light hints of honey. It's warm and cold ,clean and reminds me of expensive soap . Very beautiful . It has surprising tenacity for a light scent . A versatile scent and signature scent worthy. I hope this is never ever discontinued.
Whereas Apres L'ondee is melancholic, L'eau d'Hiver is just wistful and dreamy.

on 7/3/2011 10:34:00 AM

The top notes are sheer JCE style which appeals to me. Too bad the powder murdered all hope I had of enjoying this.

on 3/11/2011 9:15:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Like a slightly peppery version of Blanc, in that it's a cool sheer floral perfect for summer. Smooth and somehow white, like softly musk scented soap. It's rather lovely if very sheer, and I don't get the dreaded powdery notes at all.

on 2/21/2011 8:24:00 PM

L'Eau d'Hiver is a skin scent that starts with bergamont and then decends into white powderiness. Initially, I feared that it would be too floral for me, but the honey and musk balance the forals beautifully.

I am crazy about the dry down, when L'Eau d'Hiver seems to become about skin.It is a beautifully executed abstract, a delicate white powdered sweetness that combines with the skin.

L'Eau d'Hiver is said to be inspired by Apres l'Ondee. Both fragrances are the delicate and shy type. This makes L 'Eau d'Hiver a great fragrance for any situation where you do not want major sillage, and any situation where you want your skin to seem very special.

Popular Fragrances