Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

Filtered by age: 36-43
No Image

3.9

on 11/7/2011 7:13:00 PM

I finally bought the 3 travel sizes of this, unsniffed, from Aedes because I couldn't find anyone who would part with any of theirs :).
I love it. Again, right up my alley. bergamot, angelica, iris, hawthorn, jasmine, honey, carnation, heliotrope, caramel and musk. Initially I get a blast of heliotrope and bergamot and it quickly settles down into PlayDoh territory. Frankly, at this point, it smells just like Lush's Snowcake. However, whereas Snowcake continues to smell like playdoh, Hiver starts developing a hint of honey and an aniseed scent (angelica). The heliotrope continues to linger and the scent becomes slightly floral, the hawthorne peeks its head out (hooray!) with the musk developing in the background, and on my skin it stays at this stage. This is a beautiful, snuggly skin scent that is sophisticated yet quiet. A winner!

on 8/8/2011 1:01:00 PM

This is absolutely a emotionally charged scent for me. Though subtle it evolves beautifully . Salty and slightly peppery to begin becoming slightlycrunchy with white powder- yes, like fresh snow ....onwards into a slightly sweet skin scent . Heliptrope and iris stand out on me with veyr light hints of honey. It's warm and cold ,clean and reminds me of expensive soap . Very beautiful . It has surprising tenacity for a light scent . A versatile scent and signature scent worthy. I hope this is never ever discontinued.
Whereas Apres L'ondee is melancholic, L'eau d'Hiver is just wistful and dreamy.

on 7/3/2011 10:34:00 AM

The top notes are sheer JCE style which appeals to me. Too bad the powder murdered all hope I had of enjoying this.

on 3/11/2011 9:15:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Like a slightly peppery version of Blanc, in that it's a cool sheer floral perfect for summer. Smooth and somehow white, like softly musk scented soap. It's rather lovely if very sheer, and I don't get the dreaded powdery notes at all.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

L'eau D'Hiver is yet another Jean-Claude Ellena creation I can't seem to live without (along with Bois Farine, Vetiver Tonka, Angeliques Sous La Pluie and many more). Its opening is honeyed and peppery and somewhat medicinal, almost sharp. As it dries down, it becomes gentle, slightly powdery, and tenderly milky, in that near-transparent Ellena way. When I first tried it, it reminded me of Philosophy's Baby Grace with its barely-there powdery quality, but that fragrance is more soapy, whereas there is nothing soap-like in L'eau D'Hiver. I would call L'eau D'Hiver a comfort scent, but not in the fluffy or sugary sense. It's comforting the way a gentle snowfall is comforting. As others have said, it's a cold/warm scent, not at all overpowering, with little sillage, making it fine for any season. I find that I spray it a LOT, because the lasting power is not terrific, so it ends up being pretty expensive (I can get through a 10 ml bottle pretty quickly).

Iris/musk + honey/vanilla. This is what the fragrance boils down to on my skin, and is the cool + warm combo that so many people enjoy. I was initially attracted to it, but with multiple wearings, I find that for me it's a little too split personality. I'm saying 'no' on buying again because there are a lot of other iris fragrances out there that have a more unified presence, and I'd choose any of them over this. I have to clarify that I also generally do not like honey/vanilla sweetness in fragrances. I don't mean to say that this is an overbearingly sweet fragrance, because it is not. However, you definitely need to like honey/vanilla notes to want to wear it, as well as the warm + cool split personality.

I love this, on me its a beautiful soft creamy almondy floral very subtle and sophisticated. Its a very comforting cosy snuggly type fragrance great for any season. This is one that I will buy a big bottle of.

Very clean, freshly showered, pretty, feminine, mild, inoffensive. The drydown reminds me of a much lighter version of the drydown of AV by Adrienne Vittadini. (Plus, I got 50 ml of AV at TJ Maxx for about $12 and it has better sillage.)

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I dismissed this the first few times I tried it. It's so soft and so subtle that, when spritzed next to really any other scent (say in a store testing scenario), it is completely overpowered and kicked to the curb for being "unremarkable." Oh, how wrong I was, though. It's beautiful. Lovely. Comforting. Unique. A wisp of a mysterious lady. On its own, the overall affect is indeed ethereal. I can smell the heliotrope, hawthorn and honey, and delicate blossoms wafting in and out--little blooms emerging through the frost, perhaps? It reads like really wonderful and green-y shampoo--a head turn and whiff, "Ooooh, I smell clean today!" A great daytime or office or "baby handling" scent, when you don't want to overwhelm those around you with your sillage. I imagine people would have to get within hugging distance to really detect it. That said, I can't imagine it offending anyone. It's soft and refined--like your favorite old sweater. Just my cup of tea. And, hey, everyone needs a "blankey" scent in their collection. This one is mine. Expensive, but unusual, too. The more I wear it, the more I love it. FBW.

on 3/30/2008 3:33:00 PM

A dreamy, fairytale scent. Mist-swept, mysterious. On my skin, after an initial burst of citrus (bergamot?) I get strong refreshing green--I picture a dark-green stalk growing out of an ice-covered stream. A little like the smell of trees after it's rained, or of kale or another green leafy veg after it's been washed. Sounds odd, yes, but I love the vegetal freshness of this fragrance. Simultaneously, there's a clear caramel note on me. I adore and admire this dance, this back and forth between bitter frosty green and warm caramel. In the background is the softness of heliotrope and musk. Any time I wear this I get compliments--as long as I get close enough to someone for them to smell it! Yes, a skin scent. But an unusually divine one: ethereal yet tender. Good for me all year round: cashmere-comforting in winter, bergamot-green cooling in summer.