Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Petroleum Jelly

4.3

White Petrolatum

on 1/22/2017 9:50:00 AM

I don't know why I ever stopped using this, I recently bought a tub of it after not using it for years, I forgot how great it is for dry skin and lips, I smother my face in it and really rub it in and my skin looks and feels great, I even notice fine lines around my eyes are reduced.

I read in a makeup book by Lisa Eldridge that Alan Snyder (Whitey - Marilyn Monroes makeup artist) said that Marilyn would coat her face in petroleum jelly to use it as a base for her foundation as it gives a really natural looking 'youth glow' and a soft focused look, I tried it out and it does really work, my skin looked great and really youthful.

This stuff is magical I use it throughout the winter it works as a barrier between your skin and makeup and it gives you a flawless dewy finish Marilyn Monroe loved it as well so.... Gotte be good for something right? Haha

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I tried using this for lip moisturizing and it did not work at all. The consistency is so offensive I wouldn't consider using it for anything else.

on 2/27/2015 9:42:00 PM

I used to use vaseline for almost everything. As a moisturiser for my lips, dry skin (elbows, knees, etc), my feet, and even under my eyes. I replaced it now with other things such as home made body butter, and oils.

There are a few reasons I stopped using this and the number one reason is the ingredients. Its petroleum jelly. Although it goes through processes to remove any impurities, I'm not comfortable with the thought.

Another problem I had was something similar to what another reviewer mentioned. My skin would feel moisturised temporarily. After a while, it felt more dry than prior to using it.

Other reasons include wanting to feed my skin better products. Vaseline may moisturise your skin, but that is it. No antioxidants, nothing.

Now, I'm not a health nut nor do I claim that I don't use any chemicals on my skin. I do, and I don't think I'll be stopping any time soon. I just believe there are much better options for moisturisers out there that will not only provide you with moisture, but with other benefits, without emptying your wallet.

If you have really dry skin, and are not looking for anything other than moisturising, then I think you'll love this. Other than that, I'd suggest trying other products.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I really don't like Vaseline mainly because of the harsh petroleum smell but also because as a lip balm I find it only works as a quick fix and after it is soaked in, my lips actually feel more dry than they did in the first place.

I am writing this review to help anyone who may have the same problem - I have a solution!

Although it is becoming increasingly popular in the beauty world, I have found that a lot of my friends haven't ever heard of this product. If you have dry lips and find that no lip balm really solves this problem please, please consider Reve de Miel by Nuxe !!

It is pretty pricey for a lip balm but not extortionate and I promise you, it really works.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I had suffered from chronic dry lips for many years. Vaseline did temporarily help but i hated wearing it. It was thick and heavy maybe thats why my lips never healed because lips couldnt breathe. Im using this snail serum now that cured it. Im glad im no slave to petroleum jelly anymore. lol

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I use this alot! Usually for my lashes to make them longer, and my lips to make them moisturized. I would buy again, but i already have three tubs!!! heehee it moisturizes well and is so cheap ; ) I can't use this anymore : ( makes my lips dry : ( oh well it's still a good lip gloss!

on 9/30/2010 9:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Many people like myself with over look Vaseline but it does have many uses! One of my fav ways to use it is when I'm coloring my hair. I always use black dye so it tends to stain my hairline. After application I will line my hairline with Vaseline so the color wont penetrate through my skin! Works everytime. I have used Vaseline for a mascara and it does work! Apply a light amount on your index finger and apply using an upward motion under lashes. You can even wiggle a little to get more dramatic. It's nice too because at night time just get a tissue and wipe off...no heavy black mess.

Vaseline is possibly the best thing ever made. You can do anything with it, including things out of the beauty field. Here are a few neat things you can do with Vaseline:
Slather your feet with it, put on socks, and go to bed. Your feet will be fabulous in the morning. You can do this with hands too.
Use it as lip balm. Use it alone or heat it up, mix it with lipstick and you have colored lip balm.
In the olden days, people rubbed fat on their fingernails to make them glossy and to soften the cuticles. You can do that with Vaseline.
Use it as mascara but smoothing it on your lashes with a mascara brush or your finger. If you don't like to wear it all day, rub it on at night and gradually grow longer and thicker eyelashes.
Put it on your eyelids for eyeshadow. I think it looks gross, but my grandma and great aunts used to do this. :) You can also use it as eyeshadow primer.
Keep your eyebrows in place by smoothing the Vaseline on them.
Hope these tips helped!

I love this product for dry patches on my body, growing my eyelashes, and moisturizing my lips! But do not use this on your face or for acne, I broke out horribly and found out Vaseline contains Mineral Oil!