Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

4.5

White Petrolatum

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I like this on my lips and to heal scab faster. BUT no matter how many articles or people say it doesn't clog pores, it clogs mine. I used it an thinly as I possibly could, then whiteheads appeared in the morning. I have tried it many occasions and same results follow. The packaging isn't hygienic either.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Any petroleum jelly will do--it's all a product of mineral oil distillation. But we all love the blue label. When I was a kid, the carbolated (had phenol, a disinfectant) came in a serious-looking BROWN tiny bottle and was used for really bad injuries. My doctor in college was weirdly obsessed with navel lint (she must have seen lots of it) and recommended you pack your belly button with vaseline and then wait overnight. Wipe out your navel with a tissue. OMG. What comes out should be considered hazardous waste. Do this once in a while to remove shed cells and gathered dust. I also use it for the mid winter cracked heel will this weather ever end treatment. You slather your feet thickly with this stuff (hence buying the generic brand) and then put on a pair of old cotton socks. Go to sleep (probably alone) and your feet will be much nicer in the morning and the guy at the pedicure bath will not scowl and say incomprehensible things to the little girl next to him that you assume mean your feet are like elephant pads but really, he's talking about what he's ordering for lunch in the next 20 minutes. Some people favor petroleum jelly because it's "Cruelty-Free" but all those dinosaurs were killed to make this, murdered by a meteor that changed their climate and they all died and if that isn't cruel, what is? Oh, one more great use for Vaseline: keeping your hairline clean when you color your hair. I stopped using blocking cream and I just dab Vaseline all around in front of those fine grey hairs that lose color first. I smear a barrier around and never worry about staining my face. Only problem, I always miss ONE little spot and some hair stays grey, and worse yet, if you are clumsy and get it on your hair, it will prevent the dye from covering those pesky hairs. But I still use it, because when I'm done, the Vaseline works as an occlusive moisturizer on my skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I tried using this for lip moisturizing and it did not work at all. The consistency is so offensive I wouldn't consider using it for anything else.

on 5/25/2016 8:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My god it actually pains me to write this, but this stuff is kind of awesome. It's a great night time eye treatment; great for my super dry lips and hands. And for my so dry they're itching and cracking feet it's a legit miracle. But ugh. It's petroleum jelly and it smells faintly of crude oil and it's not remotely cruelty free but it's still awesome and only $4 for a big tub and I'm sure I'll keep using it despite all that.

on 5/2/2016 6:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I like the Vaseline brand in general, but since I wanna go cruelty free, I won't purchase their products anymore. The product is a classic staple though indeed, nothing wrong with the quality or it's versatility. Don't like the smell too much though, but since they've launched different smells, that doesn't have to be an issue either.
I shifted to use Kaufmann's Kindercreme, which is a cruelty free, supermild, very affordable, beautifully smelling baby salve that does the same thing. Great for overnight, lips, feet, elbows, and all other dry spots that need extra care. :)

Pro:
- great for dry spots/patches
- feels comfortable on dry patches
- goes a long way
- the cocoa butter one smells amazing

Con:
- not cruelty free
- petroleum smell with the regular one
- can feel greasy if applied too generously

on 3/18/2016 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Vaseline is amazing! The trick with using it is understanding what it is. It's an occlusive, it won't moisturize on it's own, but it will seal in moisture. Like the reviewer below me said, the key is to use it sparingly to avoid the gross greasy feeling. A lot of people think Vaseline breaks them out, but it's more likely they are using it an unhygienic manner, thus spreading or causing breakouts. If you dip dirty fingers in the tub, the tub will be contaminated. If you rub dirty fingers on your breakouts, it will make them worse. If you put it on over makeup or a dirty face, it will make breakouts worse. I have been guilty of these. It really sucks, but you just constantly have to wash your hands when you have acne prone skin. The slightest failure to do so, and BOOM, breakout town. But yeah, Vaseline is awesome for sealing in moisture. I use it on my lips, on a chapped nose, sores, cuticles, a breakout that needs a bit of help healing, all of that after my usual moisturizer. It will draw the whitehead out of a zit. Use the tiniest dab as a brow wax, use it for shinier eyelashes. I love it. Just remember, a little goes a long way! Oh yeah, on cracked heels too...really, it's a staple for a reason.

Update: Don't know why I wasn't doing this before, but I've started layering Vaseline over moisturizer on fine lines (especially eyes), and they are seriously plumped up and much less detectable. This product is truly a super boost to moisturizer. Love it.

Update number two: Okay, I have to update my review AGAIN, because this product has truly become a holy grail for me, and I don't say those words lightly. Finally worked up the nerve to join the "slug life" (skincare addiction reddit) and use Vaseline as an all over night cream over my regular moisturizer, and it has made my skin soft, supple, dewy, and my issues with flakiness have disappeared. So happy! I also use it over my body moisturizer, especially knees and elbows. But the craziest thing is I have replaced my deodorant with Vaseline! I have sensitive armpits and it seems like every deodorant eventually causes stinging and a rash. I read online to try a little bit of straight Vaseline rubbed in to help, and holy crap, it totally soothes and works to prevent sweat and odor for hours. WAY BETTER than any store bought deodorant I have ever tried. How frustrating to end up with a rash from something that I would sweat through within an hour anyway. Vaseline solved that. I will never be without a tub of Vaseline again. It's a miracle product.

on 2/4/2016 9:27:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I buy this in a tube. This is HG for life! I use it under my eyes and only just a tiny dot of it. I use it when I get a dry patch on my face. (On damp skin after I wash my face.) It seals in moisture, does not trap heat in, and does not break me out. I have rosacean, sometimes dry, sometimes breakout prone skin and this has never done anything but help fix my problems. Granted, I do not slather it all over my face so I don't know how it works as an all over facial moisturizer. I would be open to using it all over my face though. It's also good for dry feet. Petroleum jelly gets alot of hate from people I know but it works amazingly well for me.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have talked trash about Vaseline in the past. The texture/finish is just so disgusting, heavy, and tacky. However now that I've spent hundreds on eye creams (Algenist, Shiseido, Origin, Clinique...ect) and tried everything under the sun, I've returned to giving Vaseline another try. All of my skincare friends rave about it. But truthfully, it was EltaMD Intense that inspired me to try Vaseline again. EltaMD Intense is $15 (dirt cheap) for 4 oz yet it's only one ingredient off from Vaseline.

The trick is to apply this to damp skin. I NOTICE A HUGE DIFFERENCE applying it to dry skin vs damp. Vaseline itself can not really moisturize your skin as petroleum can't penetrate pores. However it can easily trap in hydration. I upped my chemical exfoliation recently and this has been a miracle worker. Eye creams are pretty much a scam considering the conditions to keep the undereye area supple are so basic. You just need moisture, sunscreen, and a chemical exfoliator.

For the longest time I believed Vaseline broke me out but it turns out there were a ton of other factors at play. My skin is actually a lot happier with added moisture, and I'm oily!

Edited to add: I still feel like EltaMD Intense and Vaseline are very different from one another. EltaMD Intense moisturizer melts into skin whereas I can feel Vaseline sitting on top.

Edited to add: Vaseline won't work for everyone since skincare is very your-mileage-may-vary. *My skin* personally can't handle anything plant based (IE coconut oil, olive oil, extracts, ect) so petroleum fits the bill.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Just started using this for my rosacea ridden skin. I pat it on my cheeks after cleansing at night to lock in moisture. I was scared to death because my skin is highly reactive and I get pimples if the wind blows. This smooth's out the flakiness without breaking me out so I happy.
11/6 update
This has truly been a godsend and I can't believe I never tried it before. It is slowly repairing my acne /rosacea ridden skin.
1/12 update
I use this more on my forehead and chin but it's been clogging my cheeks a bit so I'm going to stop using it there.

on 3/16/2015 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Mom was right again! Vaseline at night as a face cream works amazingly. I wake up with softer and more even skin. Of course I had to go off and try expensive face creams that all left me with acne and redness...but I'm now crawling back to this. It's cheap, multi-purpose and fragrance/irritant free. Try not to buy the generic (store) brand as they often contain extra ingredients and fragrance.