Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Price: $

White Petrolatum

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I use this product under my eyes after applying my eye cream at night and have seen good results--smoother skin, fewer small wrinkles, etc.

However, I primarily use this product on the outer corners of my sensitive, weepy eyes. I find that the barest dab, tapped on before primer and makeup application, helps keep my eyes from watering and ruining my eye makeup all day.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

This is it - my holy grail lip balm.

I've tried Blistex, Chapstick, Carmex, Nivea (stick balms and lip butters) and Nuxe, which were all flawed in some way. I only had issues with my bottom lip, which was always perpetually peeling and had dry skin coming off every night. This was really annoying because every time I wanted to apply lipstick, I had to use a lip exfoliator. Then a friend suggested I try using Vaseline and holy shit, it worked like magic. I only apply this at night and when I wake up, my lips are baby soft AND they don't peel anymore even though it's almost winter here. My lips also look more rosy now since they aren't chapped/peeling. I highly recommend this to people who struggle with lip balms making their lips chapped/peel.

on 5/16/2017 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Love this. Multiple uses, esp. when cuticles or heels are extremely rough at night with socks. I use 100% Shea butter or cerave cream to maintain heels and cuticles once they recover. For face, I usually prefer aquaphor because it absorbs a bit faster and is (a bit) more matte, less greasy, when applied sparingly. (The difference between aquaphor and Vaseline is that aquaphor contains panthenol which aids in absorption into the skin. Aquaphor also contains ingredients that speed healing). But, Vaseline is ideal for acting as a barrier to keep moisture in and germs out. I think there is definitely room for both in the medicine cabinet. Sometimes I layer Vaseline with lansinoh lanolin for lips. ( lanolin is classified as an emollient, aquaphor a semi-occlusive; Vaseline as an occlusive). I think kiehl's lip balm one is a mix of petroleum and lanolin, but it travels more on the lips and doesn't last as long. . .

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

My lips have been so ridiculously dry lately, suddenly intractable to my usual Aquaphor, as well as a few different oils I have lying around, and I've come back to this in my desperation. Petroleum jelly is a skin protectant, which means that it creates a barrier to keep moisture in rather than contributing moisture per se. To use, I wet my lips, rub them together briefly, and then apply a thickish layer of petroleum jelly. It's especially effective overnight and just before and after my shower.

For me, this is also the best natural lip gloss there is. My lips are naturally very pigmented, so a thicker coat of petroleum jelly washes them out to a lighter pink, with a slightly glossy, dewy finish. A thinner coat is the most, well...dewy, natural looking clear gloss ever.

Beyond even all that goodness, I also use a small amount as eye cream, again while my skin is still damp just after showering. Too much of it makes my eye base and concealer slide around, so I use just a dab per eye, about half a chocolate chip's worth.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I use this on my face as a moisturizer day and night. After going on Differin, my skin has become very dry and tight. Any other moisturizer I used had left my face dry, stinging, red, and irritated. Vaseline was the only one that actually worked and did not irritate me. In the morning, before I put on my makeup I apply Vaseline, and blot off the excess using toilet paper. You need just the smallest amount, and then rub it between your hands to warm it up and melt it, otherwise you WILL apply too much.

I was worried about breakouts too, but the size of the molecules in Vaseline are too large to get in and clog your pores. I noticed that my skin has not broken out yet, and I have used this for 2 months now.

I would not use this if I had normal skin because it feels greasy. However, I do recommend this to those who are also on medication that may be drying their skin out, or for those with severely dry skin. Packaging is unhygienic, but I don't think that they could put this in a pump due to the consistency. Price point is beautiful.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This tiny tub kicked the crap out of me. I only used this ONCE and my face turned into a raging mess. I picked this up based on recs to lock in moisture for winter dehydrated skin. At night, I preformed my same old skincare routine but topped it off with a very thin layer of vaseline. I went to bed looking like Brutus from Popeye. Big ol greasy face. I woke up with pretty smooth looking skin. I just rinsed my face quickly with lukewarm water and applied my usual spf and moisturizer. I put on my ususal foundation and nope...bye. Skin looked so weathered! I looked like I was lost at sea for months. How can this be? Also, it immediatley caused a large breakout all along my jaw line and chin. However, no clogs probably because this was a one time use. I sit here now with a peel on my face trying to burn away the sins of the jelly. Overall, I am very reactive to products so I wasn't too surprised that this didn't work for me. However, many women for many years swear by this so it is worth checking out.

on 3/6/2015 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Vaseline has saved my skin during the super dry winter season! During the winters, no matter what moisturizer i use, my skin will always end up with dry patches which makes it really hard for me to apply makeup. I have managed to make vaseline save my skin! Here's what I do:

1) wash face with cleanser

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

1) wash face with cleanser
2) moisturize quickly while skin is still damp
3) apply vaseline once moisturizer sets in

I only do this at night, and this makes my skin perfect the next morning for makeup. I just make sure not to use cleanser in the morning, and just wash my face with water.

on 12/15/2014 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Love this stuff. I'm oily but can get a bit dehydrated in dry fall/winter weather. I'm acne/clog-prone, and this stuff is one of the only heavier things I can use on my face. Makes a great lip balm, too. Moisturizes/hydrates beautifully, helps heal irritated skin, and is dirt cheap. Not the most cosmetically elegant thing in the world, but due to its excellent performance and price, I can easily overlook that.

To address the claims of "toxicity," petroleum jelly most certainly is not. It has been used for many many years. It is recommended by doctors and dermatologists all the time. Look up some actual scientific research, not biased crap from people with "natural product" agendas.

on 12/11/2014 4:52:00 AM

I have fair skin and when it is cold and dry this is great for getting rid of red rashes. It calms my dry, irritated winter skin.