Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Price: $

White Petrolatum

on 1/22/2004 7:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is my hg for feet! This stuff is the only stuff (including Kerasal) that will heal and moisturize my scaly, rough, calloused feet. In just 3 days, I had soft, pink pretty feet to slip into a cute pair of sandals! It's the best!

on 3/25/2007 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this stuff. This is not a moisturizer, rather it's a barrier that locks moisture in.

About 5 years ago I was breaking out horribly and tried a plethora of skin care regimes, oral medication, topical medicated ointments/lotions, etc. While waiting for my dermatologist appointment (had a 3 month wait time) I simplified my routine to cetaphil soap, saline solution as a toner, ombrelle lotion (sunscreen) for daytime w/ makeup on top, and vaseline at night. By the time I got to the dermatologist my skin had cleared by about 75%. I was prescibed accutane to clear up the horrible brown scarring from the acne, I continued the above routine as sunscreen is required while on accutane, and the vaseline prevented any flakiness from the accutane treatment.

I finished my one round of accutane, and have continued using vaseline off and on (d/t my obscene need to expirement with everything). I still find this is one of the best products I have in my arsenal.

Note to those who are worried about contaminating the huge tubs of vaseline. I just purchase the tubes of vaseline that are available in the baby section. I just squeeze out the amount needed & don't have to worry about grubby fingers contaminating the product! love this stuff!

Edit to add: in the hosp we use miniscule tubes of pure vaseline to help patients who have extremely dry eyes for overnight, the only ingredient is "petroleum jelly." It does make vision blurry at first as it creates a film over the eye, but that's why we put it in for the patients once they're in bed for the night. This is not used for eye infections (that would have antibiotics) we use polysporin eye ointment for those patients & the base ingredient for their overnight treatments is still petroleum jelly.

on 12/25/2008 6:15:00 AM

As someone with outrageously reactive skin, this is a life-saver.

I use this as an eye-makeup remover -just gob some on your eyes, rub around a bit, and wipe of with tissue. It does an excellent job, is super cheap, and is the only thing I do not react to. I actually use it as a whole-face makeup remover as well, just apply like a cold creme. Then I shower, use Cetaphil, and then re-apply the Vaseline as a moisturizer sometimes (I alternative with CeraVe Creme)

When my skin is dry or irritated, I use this as a moisturizer. It helps so much on the dry/irritated parts. When I have to use steroid cremes for the eczema, I apply the cremes, let them dry a bit, then put this on top. It helps seal it in, and counteracts (to a point) the way they dry out the skin.

Two negatives: (1) I have bangs, so I can't use this as a moisturizer and then wear my bangs down, I end up re-washing just them in the morning b/c I shower at night, and (2) it's a petroleum by-product. I'd love to not use a petroleum by-product all over my body, but it's the one thing I never react to. So many natural products or organic products I still react to (with the allergies). It must be what works for my body, though I wish it was something different.

Highly recommended. This is my #1 - never any negative reactions, never any problems or itchiness or smells to deal with. CeraVe Creme is #2. Eucerin Creme is my #3.

I have to agree with all the MUA ladies on this product. It is truly one of the most essential and versatile products in my bathroom. I use it for dry or chapped skin, makeup removal (especially the waterproof stuff), removal of false eyelashes, lip gloss, protect my skin when I'm colouring my hair. I could list a lot more I'm sure. It is soooo cheap, especially drug store brands/versions.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I've used eye makeup remover by all different brands, even department store brands like Clinique and Lancome, and none of them beat Vaseline. I use this every day to get off every last bit of my eye makeup. It doesn't irritate and it works like a charm. Can't be without it (I even have a little mini for when I travel!)

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Besides all our favorite uses for Vaseline- I found a new trick and had to SHARE! I learned from Allthatglitters on youtube that she puts vaseline on her feet before putting on high heels and it prevents blistering!

As a heel-aholic, I had to try this out. It totally works! I started putting vaseline on the back of my ankles, sides of my feet or anywhere your shoes would start hurting towards the end of the night. NO soreness or blisters!

Try it! :)

While I have used this product for my lips, dry skin,etc... The most common way I use it is for my feet. I work 15 hour days where I am constantly on my feet. About once a week or so I'll use a pumice stone to scrub any calluses, slather vaseline on my feet and put socks on overnite. When I wake up my calluses are gone and my feet are incredibly soft! When I had a pedicure done for my sister's wedding, the pedicurist commented on how amazing it was that my feet were so soft considering the work that I did. Now THAT'S testimony to a good product!

on 5/13/2009 6:30:00 PM

I use Vaseline to remove my eye makeup. It is the ONE thing that does not irritate or sting my eyes. It's a little hard to get used to at first; but, now I put a little on my finger and rub it around to take off my eye makeup. Then I take a tissue with a little warm water on it and everything comes off in one - on heavy mascara days two - swipes. The absolute best eye make up remover. I'll never pay for more expensive products again. I will always use this!

I just bought my first tub of Vaseline today because of this list I found online , Ill be trying all of them <3 cant wait and its sooo darn cheap to which makes it even better

1. Put a coat on your eyelashes before you go to bed. Lots of people swear by this - and say it will make your lashes grow longer and thicker over time.

2. Put a coat of Vaseline on your feet at night, cover them with socks and wake up to softer feet - every day!

3. Put Vaseline on your elbows every day - they will stay soft!

4. Put Vaseline on your cuticles several times a day for softer and better looking cuticles every day.

5. Put Vaseline on chapped lips

6. Use Vaseline as lip gloss

7. Mix a little Vaseline with a little Kool-Aid powder and make a colored and flavored lip gloss!

8. Melt Vaseline and one chocolate chip in the microwave, mix and let resolidify for chocolate lip gloss!

9. Maintains perfume scent longer when applied at perfume points before spritzing the perfume.

10. Can be used as a moisturizer for acne sufferers (it is a misconception that it clogs pores)

11. Moisturizes severe dry skin

12. Use Vaseline on your knees to prevent that dry, ashy look

13. Mix with sea salts to make a scrub!

14. Applying Vaseline on your teeth prevents lips from sticking to teeth for celebrities and contestants in beauty pageants who smile a lot

15. Applied on teeth before applying lipstick prevents lipstick from sticking on them

16. Massage, baby!

34. Reduces scaling and itching associated with dandruff

35. Theraputic when applied to lesions caused by poison ivy

36. Can help improve condition of those with atopic eczema

37. Helps heal and protect new tattoos

38. Can protect against harmful hair dyeing, perming and straightening chemicals when used as a mask around the hairline

39. Use a tiny dab to put a quick shine on your shoes and bags

40. Smear a tiny bit on your hands and scrunch through your hair for a choppy look

41. Use just a touch on the ends of your hair to hide dry and split ends

42. Remove makeup stains from clothing

43. Rub Vaseline on the neck of your nail polish bottles and they won’t get stuck to the caps

44. Make your week old nail polish look new again - rub a small dab over the polish.

45. Use a touch of Vaseline mixed with powder eyeshadow pigment to make new colors, or a more solid eyeshadow that won’t get all over your face when you put it on.

46. Stretch your favorite lotion by mixing it with Vaseline.

47. Put Vaseline on your lips, leave it a few minutes, then scrub your lips with a toothbrush to exfoliate and leave them SO smooth

48. Remove false eyelash glue from your lash line

49. Apply a small amount on dry spots on your body before fake tanning lotions are applied, and prevent uneven tanning!

50. Generously apply Vaseline all over before taking flights to combat associated dryness

And just for fun, this one is totally not beauty related, but VERY timely - here is #51:

Once you carve your Halloween pumpkin, rub Vaseline on the exposed edges. it keeps it from rotting or going dry.

Vaseline contains petroleum which breaks down skin cells - causing your dermal layer to thin. Never use this on your face on a regular basis. Never ever use around eye areas! Good for severly chapped hands, chapped feet, or to help with 'ash', but as any kind of face product - just don't do it.