Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Petroleum Jelly

4.6

White Petrolatum

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I use this product under my eyes after applying my eye cream at night and have seen good results--smoother skin, fewer small wrinkles, etc.

However, I primarily use this product on the outer corners of my sensitive, weepy eyes. I find that the barest dab, tapped on before primer and makeup application, helps keep my eyes from watering and ruining my eye makeup all day.

on 4/28/2017 8:52:00 AM

I bought this for my lips. But this never really moisturised my lips well. Will stick to blistex and carmex. Tried to use Vaseline for other uses eg moisturise my dry toe but it's not working .

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I like this on my lips and to heal scab faster. BUT no matter how many articles or people say it doesn't clog pores, it clogs mine. I used it an thinly as I possibly could, then whiteheads appeared in the morning. I have tried it many occasions and same results follow. The packaging isn't hygienic either.

on 1/1/2017 3:28:00 PM

It's a must have for every household. I have a huge jar of this by my bed because I have dry hands and lips so I put some on before I sleep. Day after, I have smooth hands and lips. I also carry a small jar in my purse for the same reason and I also use this as a lip balm before I put on any lipstick. Would highly recommend this because it's one of those overall great multipurpose products you've got to bring with you.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Any petroleum jelly will do--it's all a product of mineral oil distillation. But we all love the blue label. When I was a kid, the carbolated (had phenol, a disinfectant) came in a serious-looking BROWN tiny bottle and was used for really bad injuries. My doctor in college was weirdly obsessed with navel lint (she must have seen lots of it) and recommended you pack your belly button with vaseline and then wait overnight. Wipe out your navel with a tissue. OMG. What comes out should be considered hazardous waste. Do this once in a while to remove shed cells and gathered dust. I also use it for the mid winter cracked heel will this weather ever end treatment. You slather your feet thickly with this stuff (hence buying the generic brand) and then put on a pair of old cotton socks. Go to sleep (probably alone) and your feet will be much nicer in the morning and the guy at the pedicure bath will not scowl and say incomprehensible things to the little girl next to him that you assume mean your feet are like elephant pads but really, he's talking about what he's ordering for lunch in the next 20 minutes. Some people favor petroleum jelly because it's "Cruelty-Free" but all those dinosaurs were killed to make this, murdered by a meteor that changed their climate and they all died and if that isn't cruel, what is? Oh, one more great use for Vaseline: keeping your hairline clean when you color your hair. I stopped using blocking cream and I just dab Vaseline all around in front of those fine grey hairs that lose color first. I smear a barrier around and never worry about staining my face. Only problem, I always miss ONE little spot and some hair stays grey, and worse yet, if you are clumsy and get it on your hair, it will prevent the dye from covering those pesky hairs. But I still use it, because when I'm done, the Vaseline works as an occlusive moisturizer on my skin.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Is it true that I can use it to make my fragrances last longer?

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I'd never came across vaseline until I went for a skin resurfacing laser years ago, which left the skin raw and red. The doctor only gave vaseline and nothing else until it fully recovers. My skin healed like a breeze.
Afterwards I kept repurchasing it.

Before that i had never used such thick stuff on my face because of my oily skin, so i was surprised it worked.

Now I occasionally layer it over lotions and eye creams. On hand, face, elbows, feet, cuticles, hair, lash, lips, everywhere!

It keeps my skin soft everywhere without causing any sensitivity or breakout in hot and humid Singapore. And I always bring it with me when I travel to anywhere colder, especially when I'm unsure of how my skin will act.

I'll always keep a bottle a home for it's multi purpose usage. Thumbs up!

on 3/18/2016 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Vaseline is amazing! The trick with using it is understanding what it is. It's an occlusive, it won't moisturize on it's own, but it will seal in moisture. Like the reviewer below me said, the key is to use it sparingly to avoid the gross greasy feeling. A lot of people think Vaseline breaks them out, but it's more likely they are using it an unhygienic manner, thus spreading or causing breakouts. If you dip dirty fingers in the tub, the tub will be contaminated. If you rub dirty fingers on your breakouts, it will make them worse. If you put it on over makeup or a dirty face, it will make breakouts worse. I have been guilty of these. It really sucks, but you just constantly have to wash your hands when you have acne prone skin. The slightest failure to do so, and BOOM, breakout town. But yeah, Vaseline is awesome for sealing in moisture. I use it on my lips, on a chapped nose, sores, cuticles, a breakout that needs a bit of help healing, all of that after my usual moisturizer. It will draw the whitehead out of a zit. Use the tiniest dab as a brow wax, use it for shinier eyelashes. I love it. Just remember, a little goes a long way! Oh yeah, on cracked heels too...really, it's a staple for a reason.

Update: Don't know why I wasn't doing this before, but I've started layering Vaseline over moisturizer on fine lines (especially eyes), and they are seriously plumped up and much less detectable. This product is truly a super boost to moisturizer. Love it.

Update number two: Okay, I have to update my review AGAIN, because this product has truly become a holy grail for me, and I don't say those words lightly. Finally worked up the nerve to join the "slug life" (skincare addiction reddit) and use Vaseline as an all over night cream over my regular moisturizer, and it has made my skin soft, supple, dewy, and my issues with flakiness have disappeared. So happy! I also use it over my body moisturizer, especially knees and elbows. But the craziest thing is I have replaced my deodorant with Vaseline! I have sensitive armpits and it seems like every deodorant eventually causes stinging and a rash. I read online to try a little bit of straight Vaseline rubbed in to help, and holy crap, it totally soothes and works to prevent sweat and odor for hours. WAY BETTER than any store bought deodorant I have ever tried. How frustrating to end up with a rash from something that I would sweat through within an hour anyway. Vaseline solved that. I will never be without a tub of Vaseline again. It's a miracle product.

This is a real gem, but the trick is to use it sparingly. After applying your moisturizer, take a pea size and rub it in your palms, then just dab it over your face. Your skin will feel real soft the next day. I also like to apply a thick layer on my dry lips. The only downside is it feels sticky.

I like to use it with diluted glycerin. Give it a try!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used to have the oiliest skin. I have been using so many reputable brands for oily skin. They only matte my face for a few hrs, come mid day my nose is super oily that I'm afraid US will invade it. So I give vaseline a try after reading about it in reddit skincare addict, I patch test, doesn't clog my skin. I been using this for a month as night cream. I love it. Just a thin layer. In the morning my skin is so soft. No more oily skin.