Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Petroleum Jelly

4.5

White Petrolatum

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have talked trash about Vaseline in the past. The texture/finish is just so disgusting, heavy, and tacky. However now that I've spent hundreds on eye creams (Algenist, Shiseido, Origin, Clinique...ect) and tried everything under the sun, I've returned to giving Vaseline another try. All of my skincare friends rave about it. But truthfully, it was EltaMD Intense that inspired me to try Vaseline again. EltaMD Intense is $15 (dirt cheap) for 4 oz yet it's only one ingredient off from Vaseline.

The trick is to apply this to damp skin. I NOTICE A HUGE DIFFERENCE applying it to dry skin vs damp. Vaseline itself can not really moisturize your skin as petroleum can't penetrate pores. However it can easily trap in hydration. I upped my chemical exfoliation recently and this has been a miracle worker. Eye creams are pretty much a scam considering the conditions to keep the undereye area supple are so basic. You just need moisture, sunscreen, and a chemical exfoliator.

For the longest time I believed Vaseline broke me out but it turns out there were a ton of other factors at play. My skin is actually a lot happier with added moisture, and I'm oily!

Edited to add: I still feel like EltaMD Intense and Vaseline are very different from one another. EltaMD Intense moisturizer melts into skin whereas I can feel Vaseline sitting on top.

Edited to add: Vaseline won't work for everyone since skincare is very your-mileage-may-vary. *My skin* personally can't handle anything plant based (IE coconut oil, olive oil, extracts, ect) so petroleum fits the bill.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used to have the oiliest skin. I have been using so many reputable brands for oily skin. They only matte my face for a few hrs, come mid day my nose is super oily that I'm afraid US will invade it. So I give vaseline a try after reading about it in reddit skincare addict, I patch test, doesn't clog my skin. I been using this for a month as night cream. I love it. Just a thin layer. In the morning my skin is so soft. No more oily skin.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This tiny tub kicked the crap out of me. I only used this ONCE and my face turned into a raging mess. I picked this up based on recs to lock in moisture for winter dehydrated skin. At night, I preformed my same old skincare routine but topped it off with a very thin layer of vaseline. I went to bed looking like Brutus from Popeye. Big ol greasy face. I woke up with pretty smooth looking skin. I just rinsed my face quickly with lukewarm water and applied my usual spf and moisturizer. I put on my ususal foundation and nope...bye. Skin looked so weathered! I looked like I was lost at sea for months. How can this be? Also, it immediatley caused a large breakout all along my jaw line and chin. However, no clogs probably because this was a one time use. I sit here now with a peel on my face trying to burn away the sins of the jelly. Overall, I am very reactive to products so I wasn't too surprised that this didn't work for me. However, many women for many years swear by this so it is worth checking out.

on 2/22/2015 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have oily, dehydrated, reactive skin from hell that is also highly clog prone. I have literally tried just about everything to keep my skin under control, but it'll never be 100%. While I have found my staple cleanser and treatments, finding a moisturizer has always been a gigantic thorn in my side. Even the most plain, benign products such as Sebamed's Care Gel will work for a while and then start causing issues. Enter my new friend Vaseline. I put this only on my dry spots which are around my mouth, nose, and eyes. After cleansing I simply rub a little bit between my fingers and smooth it on - boom, no more dryness and the rest of my face can just deal with itself. Best of all I've had no clogging or sensitivity and the tiny amount I use sinks in without leaving an oily residue. I'll be sticking with this for a long time I believe and highly recommend trying it if you're as frustrated as I've been.

on 11/4/2014 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I use this when I color my eyelashes, it works and it dosent irritate my skin :-)

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I use it on my lips. I use it on very dry hands. I use it to help cuts heal quicker. I use it to reduce the pain of hangnails. I use it to remove eye makeup sometimes. I use it on cracked heels. It really is an essential product.

on 2/21/2014 4:33:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

A cheapie but goodie. You can use this on your lips skin and more. Always have a tub with me. I put on soaking wet skin when I get out of the shower. If feels nasty a first but let a sit for a minute then put your night clothes on the next morning my skin is crazy soft.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I haven't bought this product in a while. After reading the reviews here I remembered it's many benefits again. Will definitely by it in the near future. Thanks for reminding me!

on 2/22/2010 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

LIFE SAVER!! the only product i can put on chapped nose (from constant sneezing/blowing my nose from kleenex), wax burns, chapped lips/wind burns, take off makeup, treat cuticles, put it on heels...endless uses!! It should be in every girl's aresenal.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I use this on my lips every night before I go to sleep. I also like to put this on dry spots on my skin, especially when it is a little sensitive.