Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Petroleum Jelly

4.4

White Petrolatum

on 7/15/2017 11:41:00 PM

It's amazing all you need is water and Vaseline

I just splash my face with water and seal in with Vaseline and my skin is like a baby butt
If it was good enough for Marilyn Monroe it's good enough for me

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I use this product under my eyes after applying my eye cream at night and have seen good results--smoother skin, fewer small wrinkles, etc.

However, I primarily use this product on the outer corners of my sensitive, weepy eyes. I find that the barest dab, tapped on before primer and makeup application, helps keep my eyes from watering and ruining my eye makeup all day.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

This is it - my holy grail lip balm.

I've tried Blistex, Chapstick, Carmex, Nivea (stick balms and lip butters) and Nuxe, which were all flawed in some way. I only had issues with my bottom lip, which was always perpetually peeling and had dry skin coming off every night. This was really annoying because every time I wanted to apply lipstick, I had to use a lip exfoliator. Then a friend suggested I try using Vaseline and holy shit, it worked like magic. I only apply this at night and when I wake up, my lips are baby soft AND they don't peel anymore even though it's almost winter here. My lips also look more rosy now since they aren't chapped/peeling. I highly recommend this to people who struggle with lip balms making their lips chapped/peel.

on 4/28/2017 8:52:00 AM

I bought this for my lips. But this never really moisturised my lips well. Will stick to blistex and carmex. Tried to use Vaseline for other uses eg moisturise my dry toe but it's not working .

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I like this on my lips and to heal scab faster. BUT no matter how many articles or people say it doesn't clog pores, it clogs mine. I used it an thinly as I possibly could, then whiteheads appeared in the morning. I have tried it many occasions and same results follow. The packaging isn't hygienic either.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Is it true that I can use it to make my fragrances last longer?

on 8/23/2016 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Vaseline is a great occlusive if you need one. I can't spread it over my face, because my oily skin disagrees with strong occlusives. However, I will not take off lippies for that, since it depends on your skin. It is meant as an occlusive and is one of the best products for that. So for being a great occlusive, it gets 5 lippies. It is a cheap product that is a good staple to have around the house.

A lot of people with dry skin love it as an occlusive to seal in their moisturizer. I use it as a protectant when applying protects that I don't want to get anywhere else. For example, I use it on my eyebrows when applying a self tan. I also apply it on my lips and nasal folds if I ever use a strong, rinse off version of a chemcial exfoliate (AHA/BHA). I dye my hair at home and it is great to put over the ears and parts of hairline to prevent dye from getting there. In the morning, before I wash my face, I use a little bit of vaseline mixed with sugar as a DIY lip scrub (gets all the flakes off). It is also great to put over a cut. It helps with the healing the cut, by keeping it covered. However, it does trap heat, so I wouldn't use it over burns (use aloe vera instead). There are so many uses for it if you need a occlusive for whatever random reason.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I tried using this for lip moisturizing and it did not work at all. The consistency is so offensive I wouldn't consider using it for anything else.

on 3/18/2016 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Vaseline is amazing! The trick with using it is understanding what it is. It's an occlusive, it won't moisturize on it's own, but it will seal in moisture. Like the reviewer below me said, the key is to use it sparingly to avoid the gross greasy feeling. A lot of people think Vaseline breaks them out, but it's more likely they are using it an unhygienic manner, thus spreading or causing breakouts. If you dip dirty fingers in the tub, the tub will be contaminated. If you rub dirty fingers on your breakouts, it will make them worse. If you put it on over makeup or a dirty face, it will make breakouts worse. I have been guilty of these. It really sucks, but you just constantly have to wash your hands when you have acne prone skin. The slightest failure to do so, and BOOM, breakout town. But yeah, Vaseline is awesome for sealing in moisture. I use it on my lips, on a chapped nose, sores, cuticles, a breakout that needs a bit of help healing, all of that after my usual moisturizer. It will draw the whitehead out of a zit. Use the tiniest dab as a brow wax, use it for shinier eyelashes. I love it. Just remember, a little goes a long way! Oh yeah, on cracked heels too...really, it's a staple for a reason.

Update: Don't know why I wasn't doing this before, but I've started layering Vaseline over moisturizer on fine lines (especially eyes), and they are seriously plumped up and much less detectable. This product is truly a super boost to moisturizer. Love it.

Update number two: Okay, I have to update my review AGAIN, because this product has truly become a holy grail for me, and I don't say those words lightly. Finally worked up the nerve to join the "slug life" (skincare addiction reddit) and use Vaseline as an all over night cream over my regular moisturizer, and it has made my skin soft, supple, dewy, and my issues with flakiness have disappeared. So happy! I also use it over my body moisturizer, especially knees and elbows. But the craziest thing is I have replaced my deodorant with Vaseline! I have sensitive armpits and it seems like every deodorant eventually causes stinging and a rash. I read online to try a little bit of straight Vaseline rubbed in to help, and holy crap, it totally soothes and works to prevent sweat and odor for hours. WAY BETTER than any store bought deodorant I have ever tried. How frustrating to end up with a rash from something that I would sweat through within an hour anyway. Vaseline solved that. I will never be without a tub of Vaseline again. It's a miracle product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I use this on my face as a moisturizer day and night. After going on Differin, my skin has become very dry and tight. Any other moisturizer I used had left my face dry, stinging, red, and irritated. Vaseline was the only one that actually worked and did not irritate me. In the morning, before I put on my makeup I apply Vaseline, and blot off the excess using toilet paper. You need just the smallest amount, and then rub it between your hands to warm it up and melt it, otherwise you WILL apply too much.

I was worried about breakouts too, but the size of the molecules in Vaseline are too large to get in and clog your pores. I noticed that my skin has not broken out yet, and I have used this for 2 months now.

I would not use this if I had normal skin because it feels greasy. However, I do recommend this to those who are also on medication that may be drying their skin out, or for those with severely dry skin. Packaging is unhygienic, but I don't think that they could put this in a pump due to the consistency. Price point is beautiful.