Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Price: $

Price: $

White Petrolatum

on 1/22/2017 9:50:00 AM

I don't know why I ever stopped using this, I recently bought a tub of it after not using it for years, I forgot how great it is for dry skin and lips, I smother my face in it and really rub it in and my skin looks and feels great, I even notice fine lines around my eyes are reduced.

I read in a makeup book by Lisa Eldridge that Alan Snyder (Whitey - Marilyn Monroes makeup artist) said that Marilyn would coat her face in petroleum jelly to use it as a base for her foundation as it gives a really natural looking 'youth glow' and a soft focused look, I tried it out and it does really work, my skin looked great and really youthful.

on 12/16/2016 11:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This is a must have in every household

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Any petroleum jelly will do--it's all a product of mineral oil distillation. But we all love the blue label. When I was a kid, the carbolated (had phenol, a disinfectant) came in a serious-looking BROWN tiny bottle and was used for really bad injuries. My doctor in college was weirdly obsessed with navel lint (she must have seen lots of it) and recommended you pack your belly button with vaseline and then wait overnight. Wipe out your navel with a tissue. OMG. What comes out should be considered hazardous waste. Do this once in a while to remove shed cells and gathered dust. I also use it for the mid winter cracked heel will this weather ever end treatment. You slather your feet thickly with this stuff (hence buying the generic brand) and then put on a pair of old cotton socks. Go to sleep (probably alone) and your feet will be much nicer in the morning and the guy at the pedicure bath will not scowl and say incomprehensible things to the little girl next to him that you assume mean your feet are like elephant pads but really, he's talking about what he's ordering for lunch in the next 20 minutes. Some people favor petroleum jelly because it's "Cruelty-Free" but all those dinosaurs were killed to make this, murdered by a meteor that changed their climate and they all died and if that isn't cruel, what is? Oh, one more great use for Vaseline: keeping your hairline clean when you color your hair. I stopped using blocking cream and I just dab Vaseline all around in front of those fine grey hairs that lose color first. I smear a barrier around and never worry about staining my face. Only problem, I always miss ONE little spot and some hair stays grey, and worse yet, if you are clumsy and get it on your hair, it will prevent the dye from covering those pesky hairs. But I still use it, because when I'm done, the Vaseline works as an occlusive moisturizer on my skin.

on 5/2/2016 6:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I like the Vaseline brand in general, but since I wanna go cruelty free, I won't purchase their products anymore. The product is a classic staple though indeed, nothing wrong with the quality or it's versatility. Don't like the smell too much though, but since they've launched different smells, that doesn't have to be an issue either.
I shifted to use Kaufmann's Kindercreme, which is a cruelty free, supermild, very affordable, beautifully smelling baby salve that does the same thing. Great for overnight, lips, feet, elbows, and all other dry spots that need extra care. :)

Pro:
- great for dry spots/patches
- feels comfortable on dry patches
- goes a long way
- the cocoa butter one smells amazing

Con:
- not cruelty free
- petroleum smell with the regular one
- can feel greasy if applied too generously

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Love this for my dry face skin. I get gross patches that screw up my foundation and I've started using this and my face is so smooth. Also using it under eyes is amazing I noticed an overnight change in my undereye bags. It does not moisturize it just creates a barrier so if you apply your faceface moisturizer aND then Vaseline over it, your skin will be so soft. I've never had breakouts from it. Great for overnight. I had a chemical burn on the corner of my mouth and I put vitamin e, then Vaseline to lock it in, and then translucent powder to make it not shiny during the day. It worked like a charm and I didn't have a glaring red spot drying out all day.

on 3/29/2016 4:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

Basically I agree with everyone else here. The key is you have to know how to use it. I don't use this all over my face just on areas that tend to be a bit drier than others. It doesn't moisturize, it seals in moisture. So I always use a tiny bit on damp skin after I wash my face and it's helped make some fine lines disappear and prolong softness. I never have a problem with breakouts either. I can get massive tub of this at Walmart for $4. Also make sure you're buying VASELINE and not off brand Petroleum Jelly. Vaseline is refined in a way most off brand versions are not. This is important because Vaseline won't clog your pores which I'm not sure can be said for the other stuff.

on 9/11/2014 8:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A staple and a must have for so many uses and it's cheap - but - the tub packaging is unsanitary and it's PETROLEUM jelly (mineral based. Eeew)

There are many better alternatives nowadays.

on 7/27/2014 9:25:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have a love/hate relationship with this, it comes in handy when my skin is especially dry , but if my skin is just fine it causes me to break out. So I guess I'll keep it around for those especially dry days and it works really well as a moisturizer for my lips so yeah I'd repurchase but it last so long I don't see myself running out anytime soon

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have dry skin, especially during winter and I have been using Vaseline whenever my cheeks felt really dry and sore. However I struggled with really dry skin for the past few weeks and nothing worked. Normally my skin is just a little dry but in summer it's normal to oily, but this time my skin was completely dehydrated from too much sun exposure (even though I used SPF30)

My under eye area was so dry that whenever I smiled or laughed I started getting deep wrinkles. My normal skincare regime that has always worked for me didn't do anything and not even the Vaseline helped my skin, because it was so dry that it wasn't able to absorb the Vaseline and the product would just sit on my face.

I guess that this isn't a miracle product. It's just cheap petroleum jelly and if you want to do your skin a favour then spend a couple of bucks on something decent.

I got the Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Super Antioxidant Concentrate and within 2 weeks my skin was back to normal and it has actually improved my skin.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Vaseline has so many uses. Two that I wouldn't be without are:
I buy a pair of those snuggly type gloves (the ones that look like those really soft socks) from the Dollar Store. I coat my hands with vaseline at night, put on the snuggly gloves and go to bed. In the morning, my hands are always well-hydrated, moisturized and my cuticles are also well-nourished.
The same thought works for your feet, too. You can do this at night, or, if you're wearing socks during the day, apply a small amount of vaseline to your feet, put on your socks, and your feet will be moisturized all day long within the comfort of your socks. You'll be surprised at how this works at keeping your feet soft and beautiful.
The second is an old trick for fragrance. If you find a perfume that doesn't have lasting power on you, coat your skin with a very light layer of vaseline. Not enough to make your skin greasy, just enough to give it a light sheen. Then spray yourself with your favorite perfume. If the perfume just sits on top of your skin as droplets, you'll know you applied too much vaseline. Next time, apply less, and try again. Your perfume should go on as it does normally. You'll find that this makes the perfume last for hours and hours. Using an oil or a regular moisturizer does not have the same effect, nor does using a scented moisturizer. The vaseline seems to keep the fragrance on your skin and hold it's notes in place.
I keep two different types of vaseline in stock. One is a cocoa based scent, which I'll use for my vanilla based perfumes, and the other is an unscented vaseline to use for other perfumes.
It works for any perfume, eau de toilette and even for some colognes.