Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Petroleum Jelly

4.7

White Petrolatum

on 7/15/2017 11:41:00 PM

It's amazing all you need is water and Vaseline

I just splash my face with water and seal in with Vaseline and my skin is like a baby butt
If it was good enough for Marilyn Monroe it's good enough for me

If you don't own at least one tub of Vaseline you're missing out. This product is n effective multi-tasker for so many uses. I use Vaseline primarily for:

1. A soft highlight on cheekbones(can be mixed with a bit of shimmer powder if needed)
2. Clear Lip Gloss and balm
3. Making your own coloured lip glosses with the help of eyeshadow/blush
4. Making cream blush
5. Dry skin.. cracked heels, dry elbows, dry knees.
6. moisturizing eyelids
7. Making your eyelids shine with eyeshadow
8. Eye makeup remover
9. Eyelash overnight treatment
10. If you don't want to put on mascara you can use this to amp up and shape your eyelashes during the day
11. My boyfriend uses this to treat his boxing gloves...
12. cuticles
13. I put a line down the center of the front of my legs for a nice contour when showing my legs in summer..

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

My lips have been so ridiculously dry lately, suddenly intractable to my usual Aquaphor, as well as a few different oils I have lying around, and I've come back to this in my desperation. Petroleum jelly is a skin protectant, which means that it creates a barrier to keep moisture in rather than contributing moisture per se. To use, I wet my lips, rub them together briefly, and then apply a thickish layer of petroleum jelly. It's especially effective overnight and just before and after my shower.

For me, this is also the best natural lool lip gloss there is. My lips are naturally very pigmented, so a thicker coat of petroleum jelly washes them out to a lighter pink, with a slightly glossy, dewy finish. A thinner coat is the most, well...dewy, natural looking clear gloss ever.

Beyond even all that goodness, I also use a small amount as eye cream, again while my skin is still damp just after showering. Too much of it makes my eye base and concealer slide around, so I use just a dab per eye, about half a chocolate chip's worth.

on 1/22/2017 9:50:00 AM

I don't know why I ever stopped using this, I recently bought a tub of it after not using it for years, I forgot how great it is for dry skin and lips, I smother my face in it and really rub it in and my skin looks and feels great, I even notice fine lines around my eyes are reduced.

I read in a makeup book by Lisa Eldridge that Alan Snyder (Whitey - Marilyn Monroes makeup artist) said that Marilyn would coat her face in petroleum jelly to use it as a base for her foundation as it gives a really natural looking 'youth glow' and a soft focused look, I tried it out and it does really work, my skin looked great and really youthful.

This stuff is magical I use it throughout the winter it works as a barrier between your skin and makeup and it gives you a flawless dewy finish Marilyn Monroe loved it as well so.... Gotte be good for something right? Haha

on 5/25/2016 8:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My god it actually pains me to write this, but this stuff is kind of awesome. It's a great night time eye treatment; great for my super dry lips and hands. And for my so dry they're itching and cracking feet it's a legit miracle. But ugh. It's petroleum jelly and it smells faintly of crude oil and it's not remotely cruelty free but it's still awesome and only $4 for a big tub and I'm sure I'll keep using it despite all that.

on 2/4/2016 9:27:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I buy this in a tube. This is HG for life! I use it under my eyes and only just a tiny dot of it. I use it when I get a dry patch on my face. (On damp skin after I wash my face.) It seals in moisture, does not trap heat in, and does not break me out. I have rosacean, sometimes dry, sometimes breakout prone skin and this has never done anything but help fix my problems. Granted, I do not slather it all over my face so I don't know how it works as an all over facial moisturizer. I would be open to using it all over my face though. It's also good for dry feet. Petroleum jelly gets alot of hate from people I know but it works amazingly well for me.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have talked trash about Vaseline in the past. The texture/finish is just so disgusting, heavy, and tacky. However now that I've spent hundreds on eye creams (Algenist, Shiseido, Origin, Clinique...ect) and tried everything under the sun, I've returned to giving Vaseline another try. All of my skincare friends rave about it. But truthfully, it was EltaMD Intense that inspired me to try Vaseline again. EltaMD Intense is $15 (dirt cheap) for 4 oz yet it's only one ingredient off from Vaseline.

The trick is to apply this to damp skin. I NOTICE A HUGE DIFFERENCE applying it to dry skin vs damp. Vaseline itself can not really moisturize your skin as petroleum can't penetrate pores. However it can easily trap in hydration. I upped my chemical exfoliation recently and this has been a miracle worker. Eye creams are pretty much a scam considering the conditions to keep the undereye area supple are so basic. You just need moisture, sunscreen, and a chemical exfoliator.

For the longest time I believed Vaseline broke me out but it turns out there were a ton of other factors at play. My skin is actually a lot happier with added moisture, and I'm oily!

Edited to add: I still feel like EltaMD Intense and Vaseline are very different from one another. EltaMD Intense moisturizer melts into skin whereas I can feel Vaseline sitting on top.

Edited to add: Vaseline won't work for everyone since skincare is very your-mileage-may-vary. *My skin* personally can't handle anything plant based (IE coconut oil, olive oil, extracts, ect) so petroleum fits the bill.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I use this on my face as a moisturizer day and night. After going on Differin, my skin has become very dry and tight. Any other moisturizer I used had left my face dry, stinging, red, and irritated. Vaseline was the only one that actually worked and did not irritate me. In the morning, before I put on my makeup I apply Vaseline, and blot off the excess using toilet paper. You need just the smallest amount, and then rub it between your hands to warm it up and melt it, otherwise you WILL apply too much.

I was worried about breakouts too, but the size of the molecules in Vaseline are too large to get in and clog your pores. I noticed that my skin has not broken out yet, and I have used this for 2 months now.

I would not use this if I had normal skin because it feels greasy. However, I do recommend this to those who are also on medication that may be drying their skin out, or for those with severely dry skin. Packaging is unhygienic, but I don't think that they could put this in a pump due to the consistency. Price point is beautiful.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Just started using this for my rosacea ridden skin. I pat it on my cheeks after cleansing at night to lock in moisture. I was scared to death because my skin is highly reactive and I get pimples if the wind blows. This smooth's out the flakiness without breaking me out so I happy.
11/6 update
This has truly been a godsend and I can't believe I never tried it before. It is slowly repairing my acne /rosacea ridden skin.
1/12 update
I use this more on my forehead and chin but it's been clogging my cheeks a bit so I'm going to stop using it there.