Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Petroleum Jelly

4.5

White Petrolatum

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I tried using this for lip moisturizing and it did not work at all. The consistency is so offensive I wouldn't consider using it for anything else.

on 8/22/2015 3:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

petroleum jelly should NOT be used on the face unless you're planning to get clogged facial pores and cause dirt and oil build up that will end up creating acne...be sensible and reasonable people. otherwise it's useful for moisturizing lips, lashes and eyebrows.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This tiny tub kicked the crap out of me. I only used this ONCE and my face turned into a raging mess. I picked this up based on recs to lock in moisture for winter dehydrated skin. At night, I preformed my same old skincare routine but topped it off with a very thin layer of vaseline. I went to bed looking like Brutus from Popeye. Big ol greasy face. I woke up with pretty smooth looking skin. I just rinsed my face quickly with lukewarm water and applied my usual spf and moisturizer. I put on my ususal foundation and nope...bye. Skin looked so weathered! I looked like I was lost at sea for months. How can this be? Also, it immediatley caused a large breakout all along my jaw line and chin. However, no clogs probably because this was a one time use. I sit here now with a peel on my face trying to burn away the sins of the jelly. Overall, I am very reactive to products so I wasn't too surprised that this didn't work for me. However, many women for many years swear by this so it is worth checking out.

on 2/27/2015 9:42:00 PM

I used to use vaseline for almost everything. As a moisturiser for my lips, dry skin (elbows, knees, etc), my feet, and even under my eyes. I replaced it now with other things such as home made body butter, and oils.

There are a few reasons I stopped using this and the number one reason is the ingredients. Its petroleum jelly. Although it goes through processes to remove any impurities, I'm not comfortable with the thought.

Another problem I had was something similar to what another reviewer mentioned. My skin would feel moisturised temporarily. After a while, it felt more dry than prior to using it.

Other reasons include wanting to feed my skin better products. Vaseline may moisturise your skin, but that is it. No antioxidants, nothing.

Now, I'm not a health nut nor do I claim that I don't use any chemicals on my skin. I do, and I don't think I'll be stopping any time soon. I just believe there are much better options for moisturisers out there that will not only provide you with moisture, but with other benefits, without emptying your wallet.

If you have really dry skin, and are not looking for anything other than moisturising, then I think you'll love this. Other than that, I'd suggest trying other products.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I really don't like Vaseline mainly because of the harsh petroleum smell but also because as a lip balm I find it only works as a quick fix and after it is soaked in, my lips actually feel more dry than they did in the first place.

I am writing this review to help anyone who may have the same problem - I have a solution!

Although it is becoming increasingly popular in the beauty world, I have found that a lot of my friends haven't ever heard of this product. If you have dry lips and find that no lip balm really solves this problem please, please consider Reve de Miel by Nuxe !!

It is pretty pricey for a lip balm but not extortionate and I promise you, it really works.

on 12/12/2014 3:50:00 AM

Truly disgusting to use on skin, especially on facial skin! I can't stand it even on my hands or feet!
The first time I applied it on my face, few years back, it clogged my pores in hours and gave me pimples and deep cysts in places I would never have them. Also made my skin feel very uncomfortable as in red and dry patches on my cheek bones and a greasy shiny look. Bleah.
It was the only time I used it on my face. When I used on my lips, they ended up being dry and they were peeling.
I then used it on my hands and feet but I just couldn't get over the disgusting feeling even if I applied it at night.
I now use it to give my shoes a nice shine and protect them from the water or snow. I also use it for the squeeky hinges.

on 9/11/2014 8:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A staple and a must have for so many uses and it's cheap - but - the tub packaging is unsanitary and it's PETROLEUM jelly (mineral based. Eeew)

There are many better alternatives nowadays.

This is terrible, I have terrible dry skin on my face. I started using this and it was heavy and greasy and just yuck!!! Never buying again!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I had suffered from chronic dry lips for many years. Vaseline did temporarily help but i hated wearing it. It was thick and heavy maybe thats why my lips never healed because lips couldnt breathe. Im using this snail serum now that cured it. Im glad im no slave to petroleum jelly anymore. lol

I've tried regular old vaseline on my heels & lips and...ugh...the smell is AW-FULLL! But...guess what? Petroleum! It's a derivative of oil refining! We are subjected to enough toxins in our daily lives, why put more on your body on purpose? I use extra virgin, unrefined coconut oil instead and it's sooo much better. I love the smell (and the taste) and it works really well for so many things: makeup remover, hair mask, lotion, cooking oil, on toast instead of butter...and it's really good for you. Just say NO to petroleum products!