Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Vaseline Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum Jelly

4.5

White Petrolatum

I just bought my first tub of Vaseline today because of this list I found online , Ill be trying all of them <3 cant wait and its sooo darn cheap to which makes it even better

1. Put a coat on your eyelashes before you go to bed. Lots of people swear by this - and say it will make your lashes grow longer and thicker over time.

2. Put a coat of Vaseline on your feet at night, cover them with socks and wake up to softer feet - every day!

3. Put Vaseline on your elbows every day - they will stay soft!

4. Put Vaseline on your cuticles several times a day for softer and better looking cuticles every day.

5. Put Vaseline on chapped lips

6. Use Vaseline as lip gloss

7. Mix a little Vaseline with a little Kool-Aid powder and make a colored and flavored lip gloss!

8. Melt Vaseline and one chocolate chip in the microwave, mix and let resolidify for chocolate lip gloss!

9. Maintains perfume scent longer when applied at perfume points before spritzing the perfume.

10. Can be used as a moisturizer for acne sufferers (it is a misconception that it clogs pores)

11. Moisturizes severe dry skin

12. Use Vaseline on your knees to prevent that dry, ashy look

13. Mix with sea salts to make a scrub!

14. Applying Vaseline on your teeth prevents lips from sticking to teeth for celebrities and contestants in beauty pageants who smile a lot

15. Applied on teeth before applying lipstick prevents lipstick from sticking on them

16. Massage, baby!

34. Reduces scaling and itching associated with dandruff

35. Theraputic when applied to lesions caused by poison ivy

36. Can help improve condition of those with atopic eczema

37. Helps heal and protect new tattoos

38. Can protect against harmful hair dyeing, perming and straightening chemicals when used as a mask around the hairline

39. Use a tiny dab to put a quick shine on your shoes and bags

40. Smear a tiny bit on your hands and scrunch through your hair for a choppy look

41. Use just a touch on the ends of your hair to hide dry and split ends

42. Remove makeup stains from clothing

43. Rub Vaseline on the neck of your nail polish bottles and they wont get stuck to the caps

44. Make your week old nail polish look new again - rub a small dab over the polish.

45. Use a touch of Vaseline mixed with powder eyeshadow pigment to make new colors, or a more solid eyeshadow that wont get all over your face when you put it on.

46. Stretch your favorite lotion by mixing it with Vaseline.

47. Put Vaseline on your lips, leave it a few minutes, then scrub your lips with a toothbrush to exfoliate and leave them SO smooth

48. Remove false eyelash glue from your lash line

49. Apply a small amount on dry spots on your body before fake tanning lotions are applied, and prevent uneven tanning!

50. Generously apply Vaseline all over before taking flights to combat associated dryness

And just for fun, this one is totally not beauty related, but VERY timely - here is #51:

Once you carve your Halloween pumpkin, rub Vaseline on the exposed edges. it keeps it from rotting or going dry.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Any petroleum jelly will do--it's all a product of mineral oil distillation. But we all love the blue label. When I was a kid, the carbolated (had phenol, a disinfectant) came in a serious-looking BROWN tiny bottle and was used for really bad injuries. My doctor in college was weirdly obsessed with navel lint (she must have seen lots of it) and recommended you pack your belly button with vaseline and then wait overnight. Wipe out your navel with a tissue. OMG. What comes out should be considered hazardous waste. Do this once in a while to remove shed cells and gathered dust. I also use it for the mid winter cracked heel will this weather ever end treatment. You slather your feet thickly with this stuff (hence buying the generic brand) and then put on a pair of old cotton socks. Go to sleep (probably alone) and your feet will be much nicer in the morning and the guy at the pedicure bath will not scowl and say incomprehensible things to the little girl next to him that you assume mean your feet are like elephant pads but really, he's talking about what he's ordering for lunch in the next 20 minutes. Some people favor petroleum jelly because it's "Cruelty-Free" but all those dinosaurs were killed to make this, murdered by a meteor that changed their climate and they all died and if that isn't cruel, what is? Oh, one more great use for Vaseline: keeping your hairline clean when you color your hair. I stopped using blocking cream and I just dab Vaseline all around in front of those fine grey hairs that lose color first. I smear a barrier around and never worry about staining my face. Only problem, I always miss ONE little spot and some hair stays grey, and worse yet, if you are clumsy and get it on your hair, it will prevent the dye from covering those pesky hairs. But I still use it, because when I'm done, the Vaseline works as an occlusive moisturizer on my skin.

on 1/11/2013 11:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Vaseline is a miracle product and here is a list of how you can use it:

Beauty uses:
1) Dab a bit on split ends until you can get to the salon.
2) Spread some on your eye lashes before a brow wax to keep wax off.
3) Spread some on exposed skin during winter outdoor activities to keep your skin protected and warm. It's an NFL trick!
4) Spread some on dry, chapped lips then buff with a nubby washcloth or toothbrush to get rid of dryness.
5) Use it as a shoe polish to shine patent leather shoes.
6) Mix it with broken or cracked eye shadow to form a cream shadow and extend the life of your makeup.
7) Spread a thin layer around your hair line before dying your hair to prevent the color from getting on your skin.
8) Use it to tame unruly eyebrows between waxing or threading appointments.
9) Customize your own lip gloss by mixing it with a pinch of flavored Jello.
10) Stretch the time between manicures by rubbing a bit over cuticles and nails.
11) Put a coat on your feet and cover with socks before bed to soften.
12) Use it to soften elbows, knees or ankles.
13) Spread a thin layer before perfume to make your scent last longer.
14) Mix with brown sugar for a body scrub.
15) Use a dab as an eye makeup remover.
16) Apply to cheeks on top of blush for a dewy effect.
17) Use to help remove stuck rings.
18) Use as pomade for your hair in a pinch. 9) Rub a bit on the neck of new nail polish bottles to prevent the lids from sticking.
19) Use it to protect and heal a new tattoo.

Other uses:
1) Rub a bit on the edges of a freshly carved pumpkin to slow rotting.
2) Apply a bit over baby's eyebrows to keep soap out of the eyes while washing.
3) Rub a bit on the inside of candle holders so the wax won't stick.
4) Use to stop hinges from squeaking.
5) Rub some on your shower curtain bar to keep the rungs from getting stuck.
6) Apply a bit to windows, baseboards, etc to avoid splattered paint while painting.
7) Prevent chaffing by applying to areas that rub during sports.
8) Use as an inexpensive diaper cream.
9) Spread around the rim of a pet food bowl to keep ants out.
10) Apply to watermarks on wood, leave overnight and buff out.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Vaseline has so many uses. Two that I wouldn't be without are:
I buy a pair of those snuggly type gloves (the ones that look like those really soft socks) from the Dollar Store. I coat my hands with vaseline at night, put on the snuggly gloves and go to bed. In the morning, my hands are always well-hydrated, moisturized and my cuticles are also well-nourished.
The same thought works for your feet, too. You can do this at night, or, if you're wearing socks during the day, apply a small amount of vaseline to your feet, put on your socks, and your feet will be moisturized all day long within the comfort of your socks. You'll be surprised at how this works at keeping your feet soft and beautiful.
The second is an old trick for fragrance. If you find a perfume that doesn't have lasting power on you, coat your skin with a very light layer of vaseline. Not enough to make your skin greasy, just enough to give it a light sheen. Then spray yourself with your favorite perfume. If the perfume just sits on top of your skin as droplets, you'll know you applied too much vaseline. Next time, apply less, and try again. Your perfume should go on as it does normally. You'll find that this makes the perfume last for hours and hours. Using an oil or a regular moisturizer does not have the same effect, nor does using a scented moisturizer. The vaseline seems to keep the fragrance on your skin and hold it's notes in place.
I keep two different types of vaseline in stock. One is a cocoa based scent, which I'll use for my vanilla based perfumes, and the other is an unscented vaseline to use for other perfumes.
It works for any perfume, eau de toilette and even for some colognes.

on 12/15/2014 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Love this stuff. I'm oily but can get a bit dehydrated in dry fall/winter weather. I'm acne/clog-prone, and this stuff is one of the only heavier things I can use on my face. Makes a great lip balm, too. Moisturizes/hydrates beautifully, helps heal irritated skin, and is dirt cheap. Not the most cosmetically elegant thing in the world, but due to its excellent performance and price, I can easily overlook that.

To address the claims of "toxicity," petroleum jelly most certainly is not. It has been used for many many years. It is recommended by doctors and dermatologists all the time. Look up some actual scientific research, not biased crap from people with "natural product" agendas.

on 3/18/2016 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Vaseline is amazing! The trick with using it is understanding what it is. It's an occlusive, it won't moisturize on it's own, but it will seal in moisture. Like the reviewer below me said, the key is to use it sparingly to avoid the gross greasy feeling. A lot of people think Vaseline breaks them out, but it's more likely they are using it an unhygienic manner, thus spreading or causing breakouts. If you dip dirty fingers in the tub, the tub will be contaminated. If you rub dirty fingers on your breakouts, it will make them worse. If you put it on over makeup or a dirty face, it will make breakouts worse. I have been guilty of these. It really sucks, but you just constantly have to wash your hands when you have acne prone skin. The slightest failure to do so, and BOOM, breakout town. But yeah, Vaseline is awesome for sealing in moisture. I use it on my lips, on a chapped nose, sores, cuticles, a breakout that needs a bit of help healing, all of that after my usual moisturizer. It will draw the whitehead out of a zit. Use the tiniest dab as a brow wax, use it for shinier eyelashes. I love it. Just remember, a little goes a long way! Oh yeah, on cracked heels too...really, it's a staple for a reason.

Update: Don't know why I wasn't doing this before, but I've started layering Vaseline over moisturizer on fine lines (especially eyes), and they are seriously plumped up and much less detectable. This product is truly a super boost to moisturizer. Love it.

Update number two: Okay, I have to update my review AGAIN, because this product has truly become a holy grail for me, and I don't say those words lightly. Finally worked up the nerve to join the "slug life" (skincare addiction reddit) and use Vaseline as an all over night cream over my regular moisturizer, and it has made my skin soft, supple, dewy, and my issues with flakiness have disappeared. So happy! I also use it over my body moisturizer, especially knees and elbows. But the craziest thing is I have replaced my deodorant with Vaseline! I have sensitive armpits and it seems like every deodorant eventually causes stinging and a rash. I read online to try a little bit of straight Vaseline rubbed in to help, and holy crap, it totally soothes and works to prevent sweat and odor for hours. WAY BETTER than any store bought deodorant I have ever tried. How frustrating to end up with a rash from something that I would sweat through within an hour anyway. Vaseline solved that. I will never be without a tub of Vaseline again. It's a miracle product.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used to have the oiliest skin. I have been using so many reputable brands for oily skin. They only matte my face for a few hrs, come mid day my nose is super oily that I'm afraid US will invade it. So I give vaseline a try after reading about it in reddit skincare addict, I patch test, doesn't clog my skin. I been using this for a month as night cream. I love it. Just a thin layer. In the morning my skin is so soft. No more oily skin.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have talked trash about Vaseline in the past. The texture/finish is just so disgusting, heavy, and tacky. However now that I've spent hundreds on eye creams (Algenist, Shiseido, Origin, Clinique...ect) and tried everything under the sun, I've returned to giving Vaseline another try. All of my skincare friends rave about it. But truthfully, it was EltaMD Intense that inspired me to try Vaseline again. EltaMD Intense is $15 (dirt cheap) for 4 oz yet it's only one ingredient off from Vaseline.

The trick is to apply this to damp skin. I NOTICE A HUGE DIFFERENCE applying it to dry skin vs damp. Vaseline itself can not really moisturize your skin as petroleum can't penetrate pores. However it can easily trap in hydration. I upped my chemical exfoliation recently and this has been a miracle worker. Eye creams are pretty much a scam considering the conditions to keep the undereye area supple are so basic. You just need moisture, sunscreen, and a chemical exfoliator.

For the longest time I believed Vaseline broke me out but it turns out there were a ton of other factors at play. My skin is actually a lot happier with added moisture, and I'm oily!

Edited to add: I still feel like EltaMD Intense and Vaseline are very different from one another. EltaMD Intense moisturizer melts into skin whereas I can feel Vaseline sitting on top.

Edited to add: Vaseline won't work for everyone since skincare is very your-mileage-may-vary. *My skin* personally can't handle anything plant based (IE coconut oil, olive oil, extracts, ect) so petroleum fits the bill.

on 12/11/2014 11:22:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have super oily, acne-prone, clog-prone, sensitive and very flaky skin. I think the flakes come from my anti aging skincare (retinol, peptides etc) and acne medication (BP, AHA/BHA).

Do you know how annoying it is to have flaky skin? No foundation looks good after a few hours and I'm so tired finding ways to keep my face smooth. I've tried oil cleansing, microfiber cloths, emollient moisturizers on top, hyaluronic toner, switching foundations, methods of application, sunblock and powder but nothing really works. Then I stumbled into people's testimonies in MUA about using Vaseline on face. Initially of course I was scared. Acnes have been my number one enemy since puberty and I've had disasters trying on different stuff on my face. Then one night I took the plunge. I don't know why, I can only say I go bananas time to time. After using night serum and let it sink, I use Vaseline mixed with a bit of water on top and after 30 minutes pat with tissue.

And in the morning I had the surprise of my life. No redness, no extra zits, no flakes when I put on my make up! My skin seemed very calm, soft, plump and serene. A fluke? You know how sometimes you are good with a product then BAMMMM here comes the pizza. So I kept on using it almost every night on top of whatever skincare on my rotation, examining my skin obsessively every morning to notice any negative effects... and ladies, it's been months and I've never found a reason to stop using Vaseline on face. I find it non clogging and it provides a barrier for my skin against the world, creating a safe oasis that does not disturb my acne monster. I have neither flakes nor redness.

I am aware about the debate on petrolatum and I am firmly on the camp that believes it is not poisonous. However, I do believe that skincare is a very individual thing. Just because it's safe it doesn't mean it's for everyone. My point is that this works wonderfully for me. I've never thought that the flakes that had been haunting me for years could be banished with just Vaseline! A cheap product that I normally use for my feet! If you have similar problem and would like to try this, I wish you all the best.

on 3/25/2010 10:56:00 PM

Just a quick note for everyone: If you dislike sticking your hand in the same mega jar for months, you can buy Vaseline in the baby section of the Pharmacy, in a tube format. Much more sanitary!