Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Price: $

Price: $

White Petrolatum

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Any petroleum jelly will do--it's all a product of mineral oil distillation. But we all love the blue label. When I was a kid, the carbolated (had phenol, a disinfectant) came in a serious-looking BROWN tiny bottle and was used for really bad injuries. My doctor in college was weirdly obsessed with navel lint (she must have seen lots of it) and recommended you pack your belly button with vaseline and then wait overnight. Wipe out your navel with a tissue. OMG. What comes out should be considered hazardous waste. Do this once in a while to remove shed cells and gathered dust. I also use it for the mid winter cracked heel will this weather ever end treatment. You slather your feet thickly with this stuff (hence buying the generic brand) and then put on a pair of old cotton socks. Go to sleep (probably alone) and your feet will be much nicer in the morning and the guy at the pedicure bath will not scowl and say incomprehensible things to the little girl next to him that you assume mean your feet are like elephant pads but really, he's talking about what he's ordering for lunch in the next 20 minutes. Some people favor petroleum jelly because it's "Cruelty-Free" but all those dinosaurs were killed to make this, murdered by a meteor that changed their climate and they all died and if that isn't cruel, what is? Oh, one more great use for Vaseline: keeping your hairline clean when you color your hair. I stopped using blocking cream and I just dab Vaseline all around in front of those fine grey hairs that lose color first. I smear a barrier around and never worry about staining my face. Only problem, I always miss ONE little spot and some hair stays grey, and worse yet, if you are clumsy and get it on your hair, it will prevent the dye from covering those pesky hairs. But I still use it, because when I'm done, the Vaseline works as an occlusive moisturizer on my skin.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Vaseline has so many uses. Two that I wouldn't be without are:
I buy a pair of those snuggly type gloves (the ones that look like those really soft socks) from the Dollar Store. I coat my hands with vaseline at night, put on the snuggly gloves and go to bed. In the morning, my hands are always well-hydrated, moisturized and my cuticles are also well-nourished.
The same thought works for your feet, too. You can do this at night, or, if you're wearing socks during the day, apply a small amount of vaseline to your feet, put on your socks, and your feet will be moisturized all day long within the comfort of your socks. You'll be surprised at how this works at keeping your feet soft and beautiful.
The second is an old trick for fragrance. If you find a perfume that doesn't have lasting power on you, coat your skin with a very light layer of vaseline. Not enough to make your skin greasy, just enough to give it a light sheen. Then spray yourself with your favorite perfume. If the perfume just sits on top of your skin as droplets, you'll know you applied too much vaseline. Next time, apply less, and try again. Your perfume should go on as it does normally. You'll find that this makes the perfume last for hours and hours. Using an oil or a regular moisturizer does not have the same effect, nor does using a scented moisturizer. The vaseline seems to keep the fragrance on your skin and hold it's notes in place.
I keep two different types of vaseline in stock. One is a cocoa based scent, which I'll use for my vanilla based perfumes, and the other is an unscented vaseline to use for other perfumes.
It works for any perfume, eau de toilette and even for some colognes.

on 10/13/2004 3:25:00 AM

During the last past 30 years (yes, start counting now, the woman must be a really old one ...), I have spent a fortune on skin care products, starting with the Clinique 3-Step System, then going on to Kanebo, Este Lauder, Lancome, Dior, Clarins etc. - in the firm belief that you get what you pay for, that quality in skin care products, like in (almost)all other necessary things in life must be reflected in a steep price. And that mineral oils were to be avoided like the devil himself. Well, all these lotions and cremes didn't make me more beautiful - on the contrary, my skin was often red and itchy and always seemed in a way "tired". I needed a lot of foundation to cover all that. Needless to say, my bank account got tired as well.

Not so any more! Inspired, as so often, by Bellebrune as well as by Paula Begoun, saying that the skin on your face is not different from the skin on your body, I now use good old Nivea for night and for day, under my mineral make-up (with SPF, of course),the Vaseline Lotion (of course not forgetting to give my hands a treatment as well). Believe me, my skin never looked better!