Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Price: $

White Petrolatum

on 5/16/2017 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Love this. Multiple uses, esp. when cuticles or heels are extremely rough at night with socks. I use 100% Shea butter or cerave cream to maintain heels and cuticles once they recover. For face, I usually prefer aquaphor because it absorbs a bit faster and is (a bit) more matte, less greasy, when applied sparingly. (The difference between aquaphor and Vaseline is that aquaphor contains panthenol which aids in absorption into the skin. Aquaphor also contains ingredients that speed healing). But, Vaseline is ideal for acting as a barrier to keep moisture in and germs out. I think there is definitely room for both in the medicine cabinet. Sometimes I layer Vaseline with lansinoh lanolin for lips. ( lanolin is classified as an emollient, aquaphor a semi-occlusive; Vaseline as an occlusive). I think kiehl's lip balm one is a mix of petroleum and lanolin, but it travels more on the lips and doesn't last as long. . .

on 9/11/2014 8:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A staple and a must have for so many uses and it's cheap - but - the tub packaging is unsanitary and it's PETROLEUM jelly (mineral based. Eeew)

There are many better alternatives nowadays.

on 12/27/2010 8:46:00 PM

Vaseline is one of the best overall skin protectants ever made. You have to know how to use it and what it is all about but if you do, it is cheap and very effective. it prevents chapping of the skin and if combined with, for example, pure cocoa butter, can become the best moisturizesr/lubricants for the skin there is. I take three "tubes" of cocoa butter and reduce them to liquid form and dissolve them into an average container of vaseline petroleum jelly. Although VERY VERY MESSY I apply this at night on my feet and hands and any other part of my body that is horribly dry. If I want to preserve my sheets, I use socks/gloves and in the morning my heels, hands, cuticles, etc are soft and wonderful. Even use it on my arms and legs if needed. Absolutely wonderful. I would not advise it for ones face, of course since it will clog pores!! But, cannot beat the effect for the price. Use it with cocoa butter and you will love it (not the mess.. but your skin!)

on 2/7/2010 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Vaseline, my first true beauty treatment product. I use castor oil on brows, but for my lashes I use Vaseline, and I've been doing so since I was fourteen (which is over 40 years ago). My lashes are straight and long and they have always been full and furry -- EXCEPT for the 2-3 years when DD talked me into foregoing the use of this product because I'd become milia-prone.

I'm back to rubbing my lashes and tops of lids with a small bit of this stuff. To be honest, until I was about 47, all I used around the eye areas and mouth was good old Vaseline. I don't recommend this "beauty" routine, but gosh, they were the good old days. Then I started needing AHA's and glycolics for very mild (but persistent) acne and products to even out skintone. Happily I'm past that phase of life and I'm able at night to just moisturize (Nivea) and use, sparingly, Vaseline.

Other reviewers have stated the multiple other uses of this product (burns, abrasions, chapped skin, eye makeup remover, etc). I just wanted to weigh in on one of the oldest products around, and it's still good, at least for me it is.

on 2/7/2010 5:26:00 PM

Encouraged by all the positive reviews of Vaseline on this website, I tried it as a night cream last night. I normally keep it around the house just for hand/foot/lip moisturizer when my skin gets really dry. Last night I put it all over my face after cleansing, and it was completely absorbed by the time I woke up in the morning. The smoothness and softness of my skin in the morning was unbelieveable. I will still keep using Prevage for night cream and Dermalogica 15 SPF for day eye cream, but I definitely recommend Vaseline as a once/twice a week night cream for anyone who has dry skin in winter. The last time my skin glowed like this was after a salon facial.

on 7/19/2009 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I cannot tollerate vaseline on my skin, but it is the best lip treatment in the world! And dirt cheap..

I use it on my lips morning and evening after brushing my teeth and cleansing my face. The rest of the day/night I don't have to put anything else on my lips.

All those people who put on lipstick moisturizers every minute of the day are just drying their lips, the more you use those the more you need them.

Vaseline contains petroleum which breaks down skin cells - causing your dermal layer to thin. Never use this on your face on a regular basis. Never ever use around eye areas! Good for severly chapped hands, chapped feet, or to help with 'ash', but as any kind of face product - just don't do it.

on 5/7/2009 4:25:00 PM

Allow me to join the ranks of Vaseline lovers. I won't repeat the many uses for this fabulous (and wildly economical) product that have already been mentioned. But Vaseline is also a great treatment for athlete's foot. Several years ago my son had a mild case that never really seemed to disappear entirely, despite using the normal products made for athlete's foot. So after reading somewhere that Vaseline was a cure for it, he ditched all the regular methods, and instead tried applying Vaseline after throuroughly washing his feet with soap and water. Voila!!! His chapped feet cleared up within days and the athlete's foot never returned. It's an amazing, amazing product.

on 3/10/2009 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Vaseline is truly a HG product. As many reviewers have noted, it is dirt cheap and your imagination is probably the only limit on the number of uses. It never irritates, and is flat out the all-time best moisturizer for truly dry skin. For face moisturizing, I'd only use it on eye area and lips, but I've also used it as a hair-gloss/balm, as a m/u remover, for dry cuticles/finger tips, feet, rashes, scrapes, etc. The only down side is that on areas where your skin is already oily enough or tends to clog (ex: face, chest, back on people w/ oily skin) vaseline can exacerbate the clogging. Nothing beats this stuff for preventing moisture loss, though. I've tried "unpetroleum jelly," a natural alternative to petroleum jelly, and while that stuff is good, plain old vaseline / petroleum jelly still does a better job IMHO. I only wish more sellers would offer it in squeeze tubes, as I find tubs/jars kind of gross. If you get this in travel sizes you can sometimes find it in tubes, but if you want a large container you are stuck w/ tubs/jars. I once e-mailed some company asking for tubes, and they advised "using proper hygiene." Like I go around playing in mud and then sticking my fingers in the jar. Squeeze tubes are still cleaner, even if you wash your hands!!!!!

I am a advid user of Vaseline and I use it in the shower all over my body and my skin does not dry out expecially in the hot summer months. I have read in a women's magazine that a top Dermatologist stated that Vaseline is the best mositurizer in the world. This is a natural product. Don't believe me!! Ask a pharmacists :)

Schmittens