Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Petroleum Jelly

4.2

White Petrolatum

on 11/22/2005 6:00:00 PM

A staple with me from the time I was a baby. I use it to remove eye makeup, moisturize dry spots anywhere (yes, that includes the face without any breakouts!) This is a universally useful product that costs practically nada!

on 2/10/2009 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Ah sheesh, where to start oh my .. I've used it for so many years and for so many reasons (some you're not "supposed" to use it for), it heals scrapes, carpet burns, helps soothe the burn and pain of your nostril area during a horrible cold, in light uses I will run some between my palms and run it over my hair to get rid of static electricity, I do use it on my face but not in gob form, it is a fabulous overnight eyelash conditioner and if you want a natural, glossy look, blot the remainder from the night before, use a metal comb with an eyelash curler and you're beautiful (just use powder products elsewhere), um, there are certain personal ailments this is great for and I won't go into all that but trust me, this stuff is amazing. The more I use it, the more I find additional reasons I should have been using it in the first place.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I just cannot live without Vaseline. I can't sleep if I don't put it on my lips. Really, no matter how tired I am, I end up getting up, and heading for the bathroom, where I keep my huge jar of Vaseline. Also, there are some days (like Sundays), when I don't want to wear makeup, I think I should let my face "rest", but I don't want to look scary either, so I curl my lashes and apply Vaseline on them, and it looks really good. Love it, love it.

on 2/19/2009 10:29:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I can't believe how long it took me to try this. My mother used to use it on me when I was a child but I hadn't used it in 30 years. I had a hard time believing that it wouldn't clog pores. It doesn't. The stuff is great. I put it over my moisurizer at night and wake up with soft, smooth skin. I'm hooked!

on 3/15/2009 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Staple, holy grail, go-to...this product is all of that and more. I realized a couple months ago that the lotions I was using were causing me to dry out more because the first ingrediient in most of them is WATER. It is nice to wear a nicely fragranced lotion or cream, but for true moisture protection Vaseline cannot be beat. It traps moisture into the skin rather than causing moisture to evaporate. All of the people I know with beautiful, line-free, wrinkle-free skin use vaseline on their faces, not overpriced creams with mysterious ingredients. This product does not clog my skin (although I would never use it on my nose), I think women would be so surprised at how good their skin would look if they slept in this for a few nights. It is also EXCELLENT for keepin hands, nails, and cuticles beautiful and keeps feet soft as well as keeping pedicures fresher, longer. If I want to use a nicely scented lotion, I use the Vaseline first and then put lotion or perfume over it which causes the scent to linger longer.

I always have this around. It works and it's cheap and it doesn't clog pores. Pretty much same as Aquaphor but much cheaper. I use both.

on 3/26/2009 11:10:00 AM

It's surprising and refreshing to see so many good reviews of this natural and cheap product. When my son was just a few months old he had a diaper rash that I just couldn't heal despite using desitin cream, powders, letting him wear no diaper, and even visiting the pediatrician. My grandmother told me to just use Vaseline after each change. Overnight his diaper rash healed! When I told my doctor and mother in law they both strongly disapproved and said Vaseline is dangerous. Well, it worked and he never got diaper rash again. It just took a small amount on his behind after each change to keep him protected from chafing and rash.

It's also great for lips, elbows, and knees. I'll have to try the other uses mentioned here.

on 5/7/2009 4:06:00 PM

Regarding previous reviews of Vaseline: Thanks for all the great tips for using this fabulous product! Here's mine: I keep a giant square jar of petroleum jelly on my nightstand, mix some of it with my hand lotion, and massage it into hands, elbows, cuticles, etc. before going to bed. It seems to make the lotion work better and give it staying power. For added cheapness, I don't buy the brand name as I find store brands work just as well!
EDIT: I would buy this again, but only for my lips. I now use Crisco (actually the store brand) and am now experimenting with coconut oil for the things I used to use petroleum jelly for. I feel the shortening is more natural and environmentally friendly than Vaseline, and it works just as well for everything except lips. I keep a pot of of Crisco in the drawer of my bedside table, just like I used to do with petroleum jelly, and I mix it with my hand cream and use as above. I'm happy with the switch.

on 5/13/2009 6:30:00 PM

I use Vaseline to remove my eye makeup. It is the ONE thing that does not irritate or sting my eyes. It's a little hard to get used to at first; but, now I put a little on my finger and rub it around to take off my eye makeup. Then I take a tissue with a little warm water on it and everything comes off in one - on heavy mascara days two - swipes. The absolute best eye make up remover. I'll never pay for more expensive products again. I will always use this!

I'm middle of the road on this product - it worx well for sore bottoms, dry feet (but for me, I must wear sox w/ it when using as it NEVER absorbs). I do not care for it on my lips, hands, elbows since it never absorbs for me. I much prefer the creamy Vaseline in the tube, but during the times I'm out of that, I will always have this as a fall back (only becuz I don't think I will EVER use up the small tub I have in my lifetime = I will not repurchase - not in this form)

As I am currently out of the creamy Vaseline in a tube, I did recently try this regular Vaseline as an eye makeup remover - one less beauty product would be a good thing for me :) I use L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof mascara in black or very black + MUFE under eye concealor and EM Abbott's Perk Me Up to set the MUFE - that's all I use - no eyeshadow, no eyeliner. Vaseline removed all but the mascara - for me, very ineffective at removing this particular mascara w/out a LOT of rubbing + it left a filmy mess around my eyes that took some extra scrubbing w/ my normal cleanser to remove = thumbs down!! I guess I will have to stick w/ a separate remover for my eyes - o well - was worth a try.

PS - I wonder if the creamy Vaseline in a tube would work on removing mascara any better...hmmm - something to contemplate

12/29/09 UPDATE - have changed my mind a bit - have let sit on eyes for a few seconds (which is annoying), but then add a bit of coconut oil = voila - all waterproof mascara removed. Also, if I use another of my HG waterproof mascaras, (Maybelline Volum Express), vaseline will remove it w/out having to add in the coconut oil. Upgrading to 4 lippies (keeping 1 off becuz it does sometimes leave a film in my eyes).