Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Petroleum Jelly

4.5

White Petrolatum

on 4/28/2017 8:52:00 AM

I bought this for my lips. But this never really moisturised my lips well. Will stick to blistex and carmex. Tried to use Vaseline for other uses eg moisturise my dry toe but it's not working .

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

My lips have been so ridiculously dry lately, suddenly intractable to my usual Aquaphor, as well as a few different oils I have lying around, and I've come back to this in my desperation. Petroleum jelly is a skin protectant, which means that it creates a barrier to keep moisture in rather than contributing moisture per se. To use, I wet my lips, rub them together briefly, and then apply a thickish layer of petroleum jelly. It's especially effective overnight and just before and after my shower.

For me, this is also the best natural lip gloss there is. My lips are naturally very pigmented, so a thicker coat of petroleum jelly washes them out to a lighter pink, with a slightly glossy, dewy finish. A thinner coat is the most, well...dewy, natural looking clear gloss ever.

Beyond even all that goodness, I also use a small amount as eye cream, again while my skin is still damp just after showering. Too much of it makes my eye base and concealer slide around, so I use just a dab per eye, about half a chocolate chip's worth.

on 3/17/2017 4:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Affordable, available at most stores and works for dry/ aging skin. Just wish I would've started using this sooner before I started aging! I'm 32 btw. But it's never too late to start, I can prevent future aging.

on 1/1/2017 3:28:00 PM

It's a must have for every household. I have a huge jar of this by my bed because I have dry hands and lips so I put some on before I sleep. Day after, I have smooth hands and lips. I also carry a small jar in my purse for the same reason and I also use this as a lip balm before I put on any lipstick. Would highly recommend this because it's one of those overall great multipurpose products you've got to bring with you.

on 7/15/2016 7:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

I think Vaseline is my newest obsession. In the past I would try and find the perfect moisturizer - nothing was good all year round- I would have to buy one just for summer, one just for winter. Vaseline is perfect for all year round. Of course during the summer you may have to apply less than winter, but I use it right after I wash my face and after I take a shower. I apply it almost immediately after drying. I think that it prevents my face from wrinkles and fine lines. At first I thought it felt heavy but the more you use, your skin gets used to it and absorbs right in. The key to foundation is to apply the powder right after too. I've been using it on my feet too and noticed improvement.

It's become a substitution for any moisturizer I've ever owned.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I'd never came across vaseline until I went for a skin resurfacing laser years ago, which left the skin raw and red. The doctor only gave vaseline and nothing else until it fully recovers. My skin healed like a breeze.
Afterwards I kept repurchasing it.

Before that i had never used such thick stuff on my face because of my oily skin, so i was surprised it worked.

Now I occasionally layer it over lotions and eye creams. On hand, face, elbows, feet, cuticles, hair, lash, lips, everywhere!

It keeps my skin soft everywhere without causing any sensitivity or breakout in hot and humid Singapore. And I always bring it with me when I travel to anywhere colder, especially when I'm unsure of how my skin will act.

I'll always keep a bottle a home for it's multi purpose usage. Thumbs up!

on 5/25/2016 8:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My god it actually pains me to write this, but this stuff is kind of awesome. It's a great night time eye treatment; great for my super dry lips and hands. And for my so dry they're itching and cracking feet it's a legit miracle. But ugh. It's petroleum jelly and it smells faintly of crude oil and it's not remotely cruelty free but it's still awesome and only $4 for a big tub and I'm sure I'll keep using it despite all that.

on 5/2/2016 6:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I like the Vaseline brand in general, but since I wanna go cruelty free, I won't purchase their products anymore. The product is a classic staple though indeed, nothing wrong with the quality or it's versatility. Don't like the smell too much though, but since they've launched different smells, that doesn't have to be an issue either.
I shifted to use Kaufmann's Kindercreme, which is a cruelty free, supermild, very affordable, beautifully smelling baby salve that does the same thing. Great for overnight, lips, feet, elbows, and all other dry spots that need extra care. :)

Pro:
- great for dry spots/patches
- feels comfortable on dry patches
- goes a long way
- the cocoa butter one smells amazing

Con:
- not cruelty free
- petroleum smell with the regular one
- can feel greasy if applied too generously

on 3/18/2016 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Vaseline is amazing! The trick with using it is understanding what it is. It's an occlusive, it won't moisturize on it's own, but it will seal in moisture. Like the reviewer below me said, the key is to use it sparingly to avoid the gross greasy feeling. A lot of people think Vaseline breaks them out, but it's more likely they are using it an unhygienic manner, thus spreading or causing breakouts. If you dip dirty fingers in the tub, the tub will be contaminated. If you rub dirty fingers on your breakouts, it will make them worse. If you put it on over makeup or a dirty face, it will make breakouts worse. I have been guilty of these. It really sucks, but you just constantly have to wash your hands when you have acne prone skin. The slightest failure to do so, and BOOM, breakout town. But yeah, Vaseline is awesome for sealing in moisture. I use it on my lips, on a chapped nose, sores, cuticles, a breakout that needs a bit of help healing, all of that after my usual moisturizer. It will draw the whitehead out of a zit. Use the tiniest dab as a brow wax, use it for shinier eyelashes. I love it. Just remember, a little goes a long way! Oh yeah, on cracked heels too...really, it's a staple for a reason.

Update: Don't know why I wasn't doing this before, but I've started layering Vaseline over moisturizer on fine lines (especially eyes), and they are seriously plumped up and much less detectable. This product is truly a super boost to moisturizer. Love it.

Update number two: Okay, I have to update my review AGAIN, because this product has truly become a holy grail for me, and I don't say those words lightly. Finally worked up the nerve to join the "slug life" (skincare addiction reddit) and use Vaseline as an all over night cream over my regular moisturizer, and it has made my skin soft, supple, dewy, and my issues with flakiness have disappeared. So happy! I also use it over my body moisturizer, especially knees and elbows. But the craziest thing is I have replaced my deodorant with Vaseline! I have sensitive armpits and it seems like every deodorant eventually causes stinging and a rash. I read online to try a little bit of straight Vaseline rubbed in to help, and holy crap, it totally soothes and works to prevent sweat and odor for hours. WAY BETTER than any store bought deodorant I have ever tried. How frustrating to end up with a rash from something that I would sweat through within an hour anyway. Vaseline solved that. I will never be without a tub of Vaseline again. It's a miracle product.

on 2/4/2016 9:27:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I buy this in a tube. This is HG for life! I use it under my eyes and only just a tiny dot of it. I use it when I get a dry patch on my face. (On damp skin after I wash my face.) It seals in moisture, does not trap heat in, and does not break me out. I have rosacean, sometimes dry, sometimes breakout prone skin and this has never done anything but help fix my problems. Granted, I do not slather it all over my face so I don't know how it works as an all over facial moisturizer. I would be open to using it all over my face though. It's also good for dry feet. Petroleum jelly gets alot of hate from people I know but it works amazingly well for me.