Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

4.4

White Petrolatum

on 11/14/2017 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I use this for my lips:)
How to use recommendations
1.put it on my lips
2.wrap and warm with steamed towel

If you don't own at least one tub of Vaseline you're missing out. This product is n effective multi-tasker for so many uses. I use Vaseline primarily for:

1. A soft highlight on cheekbones(can be mixed with a bit of shimmer powder if needed)
2. Clear Lip Gloss and balm
3. Making your own coloured lip glosses with the help of eyeshadow/blush
4. Making cream blush
5. Dry skin.. cracked heels, dry elbows, dry knees.
6. moisturizing eyelids
7. Making your eyelids shine with eyeshadow
8. Eye makeup remover
9. Eyelash overnight treatment
10. If you don't want to put on mascara you can use this to amp up and shape your eyelashes during the day
11. My boyfriend uses this to treat his boxing gloves...
12. cuticles
13. I put a line down the center of the front of my legs for a nice contour when showing my legs in summer..

on 1/22/2017 9:50:00 AM

I don't know why I ever stopped using this, I recently bought a tub of it after not using it for years, I forgot how great it is for dry skin and lips, I smother my face in it and really rub it in and my skin looks and feels great, I even notice fine lines around my eyes are reduced.

I read in a makeup book by Lisa Eldridge that Alan Snyder (Whitey - Marilyn Monroes makeup artist) said that Marilyn would coat her face in petroleum jelly to use it as a base for her foundation as it gives a really natural looking 'youth glow' and a soft focused look, I tried it out and it does really work, my skin looked great and really youthful.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I like this on my lips and to heal scab faster. BUT no matter how many articles or people say it doesn't clog pores, it clogs mine. I used it an thinly as I possibly could, then whiteheads appeared in the morning. I have tried it many occasions and same results follow. The packaging isn't hygienic either.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Is it true that I can use it to make my fragrances last longer?

on 8/23/2016 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Vaseline is a great occlusive if you need one. I can't spread it over my face, because my oily skin disagrees with strong occlusives. However, I will not take off lippies for that, since it depends on your skin. It is meant as an occlusive and is one of the best products for that. So for being a great occlusive, it gets 5 lippies. It is a cheap product that is a good staple to have around the house.

A lot of people with dry skin love it as an occlusive to seal in their moisturizer. I use it as a protectant when applying protects that I don't want to get anywhere else. For example, I use it on my eyebrows when applying a self tan. I also apply it on my lips and nasal folds if I ever use a strong, rinse off version of a chemcial exfoliate (AHA/BHA). I dye my hair at home and it is great to put over the ears and parts of hairline to prevent dye from getting there. In the morning, before I wash my face, I use a little bit of vaseline mixed with sugar as a DIY lip scrub (gets all the flakes off). It is also great to put over a cut. It helps with the healing the cut, by keeping it covered. However, it does trap heat, so I wouldn't use it over burns (use aloe vera instead). There are so many uses for it if you need a occlusive for whatever random reason.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I tried using this for lip moisturizing and it did not work at all. The consistency is so offensive I wouldn't consider using it for anything else.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Love this for my dry face skin. I get gross patches that screw up my foundation and I've started using this and my face is so smooth. Also using it under eyes is amazing I noticed an overnight change in my undereye bags. It does not moisturize it just creates a barrier so if you apply your faceface moisturizer aND then Vaseline over it, your skin will be so soft. I've never had breakouts from it. Great for overnight. I had a chemical burn on the corner of my mouth and I put vitamin e, then Vaseline to lock it in, and then translucent powder to make it not shiny during the day. It worked like a charm and I didn't have a glaring red spot drying out all day.

This is a real gem, but the trick is to use it sparingly. After applying your moisturizer, take a pea size and rub it in your palms, then just dab it over your face. Your skin will feel real soft the next day. I also like to apply a thick layer on my dry lips. The only downside is it feels sticky.

I like to use it with diluted glycerin. Give it a try!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have talked trash about Vaseline in the past. The texture/finish is just so disgusting, heavy, and tacky. However now that I've spent hundreds on eye creams (Algenist, Shiseido, Origin, Clinique...ect) and tried everything under the sun, I've returned to giving Vaseline another try. All of my skincare friends rave about it. But truthfully, it was EltaMD Intense that inspired me to try Vaseline again. EltaMD Intense is $15 (dirt cheap) for 4 oz yet it's only one ingredient off from Vaseline.

The trick is to apply this to damp skin. I NOTICE A HUGE DIFFERENCE applying it to dry skin vs damp. Vaseline itself can not really moisturize your skin as petroleum can't penetrate pores. However it can easily trap in hydration. I upped my chemical exfoliation recently and this has been a miracle worker. Eye creams are pretty much a scam considering the conditions to keep the undereye area supple are so basic. You just need moisture, sunscreen, and a chemical exfoliator.

For the longest time I believed Vaseline broke me out but it turns out there were a ton of other factors at play. My skin is actually a lot happier with added moisture, and I'm oily!

Edited to add: I still feel like EltaMD Intense and Vaseline are very different from one another. EltaMD Intense moisturizer melts into skin whereas I can feel Vaseline sitting on top.

Edited to add: Vaseline won't work for everyone since skincare is very your-mileage-may-vary. *My skin* personally can't handle anything plant based (IE coconut oil, olive oil, extracts, ect) so petroleum fits the bill.