Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion in a Jar

Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion in a Jar

Aqua (Water), Magnesium Oxide, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Squalane, Cetyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Lecithin, Lauryl Alcohol, Palmitic Acid, Clover Honey (Miel), Dimethyl Sulfone, Glyceryl Stearate, Potassium Lauroyl, Lactylate, Hibiscus Militaris Flower Extract, Algae Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Tocopherol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Acacia Senegal Gum, Cyamopsis Tetragonoloba (Guar) Gum, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Retinyl Palmitate.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This isn't a bad product, nor was it a game-changed for me personally. I don't assume that a face scrub is going to radically transform my face, but at this price, you might expect a miracle. Don't.

I actually got a sample of this, so I didn't buy it, and I doubt I will rebuy at the current retail price. Why, you might ask? Well, there is no magic to this product even at the high price. It is a scrub. It leaves your face feeling clean, and it has a pleasant citrus scent, but a scrub is a scrub is a scrub. They can only do so much, and if you have deep-seated clogged pores/blackheads/breakouts, it may be time to hold onto your wallet and just call the facialist. It's nice to use a product and feel like your skin has been deeply exfoliated, but if we're being honest, there are other products that do just this at a fraction of the cost. This is NOT a microdermabrasion, this is a scrub.

With that said, I will use the sample up because this is not a bad product. It's fine, feels exfoliant, doesn't irritate my skin or break me out. It doesn't have any serious skin-penetrating properties that surpass my other $4 St. Ives scrub, either. There are some decent products that just don't deserve a dumb price tag, and unfortunately this does lower my rating.

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I got a 100 point sample of this from sephora and I don't really think it does anything, to be honest. It has a nice lemony scent though.

on 7/28/2014 10:04:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is a very good product and does shrink enlarged pores. Super duper pore cleanser. You can request samples at Sephora. I wouldn't use it more than twice a month.

on 6/3/2014 2:22:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Um yea. I liked this and thought it was okay but the price on this is just dumb. I have used better products that have shown better results for half this price and less. Example, Olay microdermabrasion works way better and is way cheaper.

I wouldn't call this a "microdermabrasion" either. It's a face scrub. Like St. Ives but smaller grains. I saw no real difference in my skin with this and it worked like most run of the mill facial scrubs. Don't waste your money, this isn't anything special.

on 5/2/2014 11:30:00 PM

I like this exfoliant because of the microfine particles. This, however, does not justify the exorbitant price. There are comparable microdermabrasion exfoliants out there for a mere fraction of the price (check out Derma e's Microdermabrasion Scrub). I would not repurchase this product because of the price.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a great exfoliator. I find that if I use this every other day after using my normal cleanser, acne marks fade much quicker than they would without using this. It's not a miracle worker, if you want a smooth complexion quickly, you're better off going with a series of in-office microdermabrasion treatments or chemical peels. This clearly states that using it six times is equal to one in-office treatment. I use this before chemical peels to insure I exfoliate well for the peel to get in my pores well. It's worth the money in that it does what it says, and lasts a WHILE. You don't need much per use. It leaves my skin immediately slightly pink and irritated looking, but in the morning my skin looks smoother.

on 2/4/2014 4:07:00 PM

I got a sample of this, which I enjoyed, and then I ultimately purchased a full size jar during a Sephora sale. I actually don't know how long I've had the jar, but I am disappointed every time I use it. First, I find it abrasive but it somehow doesn't do much of anything. I have used it mostly for targeted exfoliation of a small area--on a dry patch where I have a healed blemish, for example, and am without fail disappointed because my skin looks exactly the way it did before using it, just a little redder or more irritated. I also find that it doesn't spread--it just stays in the same lump that comes out of the jar, which makes it clumsy and messy to work with. It is also difficult to wash off, which is awkward if I try to use it just prior to applying face serum and moisturizer.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

For those considering buying this product, here is the Paula's Choice review (which rated microdermabrasion in a jar as "poor")"

Microdermabrasion for Face doesn't deserve consideration over the multitude of other topical scrubs claiming to mimic the effects of microdermabrasion because they use the same crystals. Brandt's version is quite abrasive, and even without this issue, Neutrogena's version is very effective and one-third the price.

on 4/9/2013 6:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This fabulous exfoliator cleared my skin of daily whiteheads, greasy skin and dullness. I'm now brimming with fresh faced confidence thanks to it. I must mention, though, that my skin is currently oily due to our hot & humid summers. I was nervous before using this exfoliator, thinking it will worsen my break-outs since it has microbeads. However, the opposite happened, and now my skin is smoother. The fresh minty smell is invigorating. Note: I found this product to be drying in the winter time, even when used once a week. I wouldnt buy it again because of the high price.
#Edit 2014: I'm having to up my rating to 5 stars because of its miraculous ability to immediately clear breakouts, cystic acne and nasty bumps. I'm on my second jar :)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This exfoliator is super-powerful and I can feel it blasting away surface level cells; but don't worry, this "procedure" is pretty close to pain-free. The texture is very fine... imagine a night cream, with a healthy dose of sand. The exfoliating agents are small, round, and I actually find them to be quite soothing on my dry, sensitive skin. The very light lemon scent does slightly remind me of Pledge. However, I am very sensitive to smells and it does not linger once it's been washed off.

For those of you that have used ExfoliKate, this is a totally different experience. The exfoliating particles in this are much, much smaller than ExfoliKate. I also found the enzymes in ExfoliKate to be quite strong; making it almost as much of a chemical peel as it is scrub. Microdermabrasion is a true scrub and probably not the right fit for you if you like the peel/scrub combination of ExfoliKate.

Popular Scrubs