NARS Jungle Red

NARS Jungle Red
NARS jungle redJungle Redjungle red <3

4.6

on 12/28/2010 1:58:00 PM

I just got this lipstick for Christmas. Apparently my boyfriend stormed into Sephora, found the first SA and demanded "Lead me to the hottest lipstick in this store." And this is what she pointed him to...HAHA.
I LOVE IT.
I already have a favorite red (YSL Opium Red), so I totally feel like I'm cheating on it. Jungle Red is matte and more densely pigmented. It's a true red on me (I have Mediterranean coloring). It wears forever. Unlike Opium Red, it dries out your lips a little when it wears off, creating a popsicle-like red stain that isn't as flattering as the satiny red glow Opium leaves. It's more in your face, though, in a good way. It's a little more Eastern European spy in the 1930's vs. classic French chic dewy beauty, which is how I envisage the Opium Red...(I need to detach myself from my lipsticks haha).
Giving it a 5! I just need more opportunities to wear it.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Edit - 17Mar2016:
This morning I panicked! I forgot to bring Jungle Red with me to work today. Enough said how much I love, and still love this lippie (I was a lippie casanova). Have not strayed much since acquiring Jungle Red.
------------------------------------------------------
I have tons of red lippies in my drawer – most I rarely wear for more than 3 days in a row – they turned out either too shiny, too matte, too glossy, with glitter that turned out too pronounced, too much organgy or too much pink after oxidisation on my pigmented lips, the list goes on and my quest in tracking the perfect red continues – but it finally stopped two weeks ago and I have been wearing Jungle Red on my lips and nothing else since!
I dare say this is my perfect red – matte but not too drying or stark against my Asian tan/sallow complexion, and I always prefer matte lipstick provided they are not drying or accenturate my lip lines. Also, although it is a warm red with a very slight orange (which I prefer rather than blue-based ones), this does not make my teeth look more yellow than they are!
It’s just perfect and I think this may be my signature lipstick.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I thought a pure red with no visible blue or orange tones would be boring. Never have I been so wrong... We have been so obsessed with our timeless Ruby Woo's and our trendiest neon oranges we have forgotten the beauty of truly red lips. When you wear this, you will be telling the world you are wearing red lipstick. Not cherry, not tomato, not berry, not brick: it is the most gorgeous and sexy pure RED you will find around, in a super smooth matte finish, which makes it more sophisticated. It's a hot statement and a mood lifter.
I wear this when I want to impress or seduce.
If you have blue eyes, this will make them pop like crazy. A personal must-have and one of NARS's best lipsticks.

One word: AMAZING.
This has completely replaced Ruby Woo as my HG red lipstick. I cannot even remember the last time I wore my RW out.
Funny thing is, I bought this out of complete serendipity--I originally wanted to try Heat Wave, but both NARS shops I went to were out of stock, so to soothe my disappointment, I picked up a red shade at random and thought, "Oh well, let's see how this holds up against Ruby Woo."
This made me realize that I much prefer NARS' semi-matte formula for lipsticks as it is not as drying on my lips and it lasts for hours & hours, even without retouching. I'm still stuck on the "Jeans + white shirt + bare-face apart from red lipstick" phase, and I don't see myself falling out of love with this soon.
Whenever I wear this, I'm sure to be complimented and even asked by people about it. In fact, I've been repeatedly stopped by random strangers (both women AND men!) to ask for the brand and shade of my lipstick! So yeah, this is a show-stopper and a self-confidence booster in a tiny tube. I don't even mind that it's nearly 50% more expensive than MAC's lipsticks--I think I shall go hoard this soon so I'll never run out!

on 12/8/2005 11:40:00 AM

Jungle red has an accompanying lip liner in the same exact shade making the perfect red lip that much easier. This red is blue based and is fairly bright, definitely the classic screen siren red. If you prefer something a little bit more subdued but still very red, try Red Lizard, which I think is infinitely more easy to wear and flatters most skintones, Jungle red will not flatter everyone, but those who it looks good on REALLY look good in it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is NOT a orange-red. It is a bright blue based red. I have golden olive undertones and this doesnt quite work with me. It looks bad actually. For a real orange-red go for heatwave. That color is phenomonal. Jungle red is great for blue cool toned gals.

on 12/6/2014 7:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I'm writing this review after a few weeks of applying Jungle Red on a daily basis and I must say that I LOVE IT.

The shade of red is just perfect. The right red without orange and without blue either. It's pure red. It's elegant, classy, glamourous and flattering. Not tacky in the slightest, not screaming on your face because it's a red that speaks by itself without yelling. The shade is a clean red that doesn't need shine, glitter or s....t to make a statement. The amount of moisture is also perfect. It doesn't shine at all but it's not very matte either. It makes your lips look matte but not dry, not cakey. I would say Jungle Red is the only red I can either wear in the morning but also in the evening because it works for any occasion. In addition, as all Nars lipsticks, it has no scent at all so it doesn't interfere with your parfum or with your taste. It's just fantastic. I'll be repurchasing over and over.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Lovely, balanced bright red in a great formula. I have medium skin with warm yellow undertones (NC30) and Jungle Red is an easy to wear, brightening red on my complexion. Its lack of strong orange or blue undertones means that it'll work for a huge range of skintones. On me, Jungle Red seems to lean slightly warm, but it's an almost completely neutral red. This is my first NARS Semi Matte lipstick, and I absolutely love the formula. Though it is matte, I don't find it drying, and it lasts around 4-5 hours. The lipstick doesn't have much slip and is very lightweight, feeling like it really melds with your lips. I feel like Heat Wave is NARS' famous red, but this baby definitely deserves more attention. If you're in the market for a playful, cheery bright red, Jungle Red might be the one you're looking for!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I'm always on the hunt for the perfect red lipstick for a redhead. I use MAC Dubonnet but it seems more winter appropriate than summer.
For reference, I am PPP with very pink undertones and red/auburn hair. I love how Heat Wave looks...but not on me. I saw Jungle Red next to it and gave it a try and loved it. It's definitely retro red and the perfect amount of matteness. It is a but drying though so I keep lip balm with me too. You can tone it down by blotting and it still look great. I will definitely buy again when needed.

This is my signature red. This is a retro red that I accidentally stumbled upon in Sephora while looking at Red Lizard, which looked off on me (NC 25 with strong yellow undertones, for reference). I don't know what it is, but putting this on instantly makes me feel better. It lasts a while since it's a semi-matte finish, but it will transfer and dry out your lips. NARS lipsticks have a strange scent to them, which makes me nauseous but it goes away rather quickly. NARS' semi-mattes are my favorite HE lipstick so I don't really mind this, but another possible con is the amount you get for the price you pay.