MAC Satin - Shale

MAC Satin - Shale
Satin - ShaleMAC Shale and Bamboo Eye shadow

4.2

castor seed oil, coconut oil, beeswax, hydrogenated castor oil, tocopheryl acetate, vitamin E

on 9/21/2016 2:24:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

It´s a foolproof cool toned subtle plum colour that looks quite nice with my brown eyes. Unfortunately, i don´t find it really pigmented, so I have to pack it on quite a bit. I like to pair it with blackberry shadow in the crease, some subtle eyeliner and Mascara for a work-appropriate look.

on 9/3/2016 8:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Shale is the perfect cool toned neutral I always wanted! It's a cool taupe/purple/brown color that is very versatile and it's my go-to color for many different looks. I do not like purples, this is more a taupe/brown than purple.
On it's own it's perfect for an officefriendly look (this is how I use it the most, on lid and in crease).
Paired with darker colors in the outer corners and some liner it's the perfect base for a smokey look.
Or pair it with a little highlighter for a quick and easy sparkly summery look.
Love the color and all the different looks I can do with it. Oh and it's foolproof, wich is a must for me if I'm in a hurry in the morning and have to work in a badly lit bathroom.
I never hit pan on an eyeshaow, there are just too many, but i think this will be my first!

on 8/13/2016 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This color has become a suprise favorite for me. It's wonderful to just throw all over the lid on casual, natural days. Shale isn't a super pigmented color, nor is it very metallic as its described but I would say everyone needs a color like this in their collection.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I'm really trying to expand my shadow collection and trying to find cool toned complimentary shades. I'm so sick of the many warm tones I have. I just want to find new things. Cool purple taupe shades are very difficult to get right with my skin type. For starters, I'm medium olive and have very dark under eye circles. These types of shades tend to make me look like death but sometimes, I'm able to find a diamond in the rough. Shale is magnificent. I love everything about it. I spent some time in Sephora, Ulta, CVS, Walmart and Walgreens trying to find a perfect cool toned purple taupe. I figured putting in a last ditch effort and check out MAC as well. I swatched many of the cool toned taupe shades from the MAC collection, even the famous Satin Taupe and fell in love with Shale. I like how Shale is a softly pigmented color. Normally, I like my shadows to be mega pigmented but with shades that are drastically different for me, I like to be able to build them up with ease. With three layers, I get my desired depth of pigmentation. Shale is a satin finish and has tiny micro colored shimmer in it. Because I have darkness that goes all around my eye, I need to do a few steps to prevent this color from bringing out my under eye circles. So, I noticed a few reviews down, she struggled with this shadow due to this reason. If you have dark circles, you always should use a corrector and concealer but especially when using cool tones.
1st Step: Prime around the eye area w/ facial primer
2nd Step: Apply a corrector under the eye and on the lid
3rd Step: Apply a concealer under the eye
4th Step: Apply your foundation
5th Step: Apply a brightener under eye
6th Step: Apply a eye primer on top of the corrector that is on the lid
7th Step: (Optional) If you still think you need extra help, apply a white shadow stick before applying a cool toned shade. I don't need this step with Shale in particular.

I know this might seem like a ton of work for one stupid eye shadow. However, if you have deep dark circles like myself, it is worth the effort to discover different looks with shadows you normally wouldn't be able to wear.

on 2/14/2016 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

The perfect Soft Summer smoky eye Shale all over the lid, Malt to transition, Yogurt as the highlight, gray in the waterline. This works unbelievably beautiful with smoky gray-blue eyes. I can only imagine if they were green...

on 1/5/2016 4:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

The texture is nice enough but this looks nothing like the color in the pot once I have applied it. NC20 brunette and this goes straight to almondy brown on my lids. Just like 100 other e/s I already have.

on 10/9/2015 11:23:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is the best all over eyeshadow I've ever had. It's a very purple taupe that complements my green eyes nicely, and it's easy to blend. (I think Annabelle may have a similar colour.)

on 3/2/2015 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I decided to keep this (which says something for me!), but it's not my favorite. Swatched on my hand, it's a LOVELY warm grey purple. However, it does not show up as well on my lids. While I'm very pale, my lids are dark. This color doesn't look very purple on me - it gets a little muddy on me and looks more grey or taupe. However, if I layer it over a darker color like Copperplate, I can get the purple to pop a bit more. It's similar to Satin Taupe, but not as much sheen, definitely more purple, and a bit lighter. I'm hoping if I keep playing with this color, I can get it to show up on my lids better as it is a lovely color.

I went into Mac to find a new every day eyeshadow as I am bored with wearing my neutral colours all the time. This is a purple, brown, grey colour which can be quite sheer and has a satin finish, I love this colour with my green eyes but I do have to apply a couple of coats to get the full effect or when I am not being lazy dampen my brush slightly before I apply to make the colour pop ownI find using my finger works better to pack the colour on!

I have this in a 2 eyeshadow palette with Fig.1 and use shale as my base and Fig.1 to blend around my socket and also the outer corner of my eye... Looks lovely :)

on 12/17/2014 4:03:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

First off I love MAC eye shadow but this was a total miss for me. The color looks like a taupe/lavender/mauve in the pan but ends up looking grey on my skin no matter what I do. It ends up bringing out the circles under my eyes as well. I have tried to use it as a wash on my eyes and then also in the crease. I feel like it worked the best in the crease as a blending color however it is just too grey and cool for my skin tone. This also had a strange film on the top of it which I had to scrape in order to get any color at all. I have only had two other MAC eye shadows do that and I'm not sure why that happens sometimes.