Paula Dorf eye transformer brush

4.1

on 1/19/2015 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I'm on my 4th transformer brush...in 15 yearis! (I lost one, so technically this would be only my third replacement.) This is an excellent tool for accentuating eyelashes without having obvious makeup lines. It works to apply liner underneath the lid of the upper lash line, making eyeliner appear like thick eyelash roots. As far as I know, there's no "dupe" for this brush, (believe me, I've been looking for years). I don't want a different brush; I'm just afraid this one will be discontinued and my "no-makeup" look (haha) will be impossible. The transformer brush is similar to basic flat eyeliner brushes, i.e. a Sigma E16 tightline liner brush, or MUFE 256, however, the transformer brush is very slightly curved. This curve makes me able to get between my eyelashes without getting liner on my lids. This works perfectly with cake or gel eyeliner, and any "transformed" eye shadow. For "transforming" I use Ben Nye Liqui-Set, which is $5.50 for 1 oz, rather than Paula Dorf eyeliner transformer, which costs $24.00 for .5 oz. The transformer brush, however, is unique, and its so well-made and sturdy it's definitely a great investment.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is the most idiot-proof eyeliner brush I know of.
This is like a flat eyeliner brush, except it's slightly curved (sort of like how a nail is curved) so that it matches the shape of your eye better. The bristles are short and firm, and the shape is very thin and precise. It is 100% synthetic.
Paula Dorf brushes have plastic ferrules and handles, which I have to say ... I don't love. I mostly own Laura Mercier brushes, but I also own a couple Shu Uemura brushes, and a Sephora brush ... my Paula Dorf brushes do look a bit "cheap" compared to the rest of my collection - for a $24 eyeliner brush, I would have preferred a wood handle and a metal ferrule .. but oh well.

The transformer brush's strong suit is in tight-lining. This brush is perfectly shaped and sized for getting right under your upper lashes to wiggle liner right into the lash line. This results in a very subtle line that really defines your eyes beautifully without looking at all like you're wearing liner. This brush also works very well for drawing a thin line above your upper lashes, and since it's small, and well shaped with firm bristles, it's no problem to thicken that line as much as you might want to, including adding a wing or making a cat's eye, if that's what you're going for.

Despite all the good things I have to say about this brush, I still don't like it as much as Laura Mercier's Flat Eyeliner brush. This is for two reasons. The first is what I've already said about how it's plastic and not as nice. The second is that now that I've owned this brush for several years, it is starting to show its age, whereas none of my LM brushes (including my LM Flat Eyeliner brush) are. The brush no longer perfectly forms into its shape anymore, and some of the hairs stick out in odd directions, despite it having been treated very well, and always re-shaped properly after (gentle) washing. The tips of the bristles no longer make a perfect smooth line.

So although I think that this brush is the easiest eyeliner brush to use, especially for tight-lining, I will probably not re-purchase it; the results I get with my LM Flat Eyeliner brush are every bit as good, and the brush has retained its quality over the years.

on 8/8/2005 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This brush is sheer genius! The narrow width and slight curve makes wedging liner between lashes so easy. Also, because the edge is so thin it is possible to get a very fine line if needed. Used many eye liner brushes (NARS, Estee Lauder, Trish McEvoy) but this has them all beat.

on 5/23/2005 10:58:00 AM

I've only used this once so far, and I don't love it, but maybe I'll grow to like it better once I've practiced using it a bit more. The head of the brush is very small (the size of a baby's fingernail), with short, stiff taklon bristles that are slightly curved. It also takes a bit longer and requires more care than a normal push brush because the head is so small and fine and the bristles have that slight curve. The bristles are firm, but not too sharp and do not irritate my eyes. Results in subtle, natural-looking definition at the lashline (I used it with a cream eyeliner this morning that I carefully press into my lashline from below; I then flip the brush over--so that it curves up--to accentuate the outer corners). This is definitely not the brush you want to use if you want a dramatic cat's eye look or anything, but it works well for what it does. I do wish the handle were shorter, since I have bad eyes and have to lean in quite close to the mirror; the long handle keeps knocking against the glass annoyingly. Pricey at 20USD, too.

When I want to take a little more time and care to line the underside of my upper lashline, this is the brush I reach for. It's firm enough to not just smush against my lashes, but not so firm that it's sharp and unpleasant. A visiting makeup artist at a PD event showed me how to use the brush (which was very helpful; otherwise I never would have even thought of getting this brush).

Edited 25 Nov 2006: Having tried Laura Mercier's famed Flat Eye Liner brush, I appreciate PD's Eye Transformer brush even more. I found the LM brush to be too long (in terms of the line the bristles made as well as the handle and yes, the travel-length one). PD's brush gives me the perfect line and I would definitely buy this brush again. continued >>

on 8/8/2004 8:35:00 PM

I think the Transformer is much easier to use than the Laura Mercier flat e/l brush that I also use. The curve shape puts product in just the right place for me. I'd say it's more of a "push" brush than the LM flat; the flat brush is more like a painting method of gliding across the rim of the lid. It would be a little difficult to do that with the Transformer because of the curve; the Transformer method is more like dotting along the curve. Both brushes are meant to be used wet; when I want to use dry e/s I use a Trish McEvoy #11. Pros: The Transformer brush is better than the LM for pushing eye shadow powder into the lashline, and it's way softer than my TM#11. Also the head is smaller than the TM#11. Cons: the curve makes it harder to wipe completely clean.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I also found this brush hard to use. I love my transformer but forget the brush. This brush has taklon synthetic bristles that have a curve to them. This is similiar to any flatliner push brush but the width of the bristles are narrower and a little shorter and stiffer with a slight curve to it. Its the curve that throws me. Why? makes it hard to use this brush accurately at the lash line. I think this brush is useless due to the curve and would not repurchase.

on 4/11/2004 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Great push brush for those of us with round/almond shaped eyes. A favorite for many makeup artists, it has a slightly curved shape meant to fit the contours of eye. I use it with dark shadows to thicken my lashline.

on 12/2/2003 3:22:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

The quality of this brush is great, like all of her stuff, but I just found it a little tricky to use witht he concave shape it has. It is also a little stiff and sometimes, my eyes feel a little sore if i use this with too much pressure. Overall, it is nice, but would not repurchase. Like the regular PD eyeliner brush a lot better

Popular Makeup Brushes