no images

price range

Reviews

from

5 years ago

I don't use this as an eyebrow pencil or eyeliner. I haven't tried it as an eyebrow pencil, but as an eyeliner pencil I would rate it as a one star. It sucks as an eyeliner, simply put. No, I use this a bit unconventionally. I actually use this as a contour because I find the brown with cool tones works perfectly as one. It works perfectly on the face, nose, temples, crease of the eyes, and anywhere else to create shadows and dimension. I find that my skin has to be quite moisturized before I do this otherwise it drags, but then it is awesome. It blends just fine too (I use my fingers). I know this is a weird way to use this product, but it works! I am strictly rating this as a contour. If I were to rate this as an eyeliner, I would give it one stars. But try it as a contour, you might like it!

About reviewer (153 reviews)

SkinVery Dry, Medium, Neutral

HairBlack, Wavy, Coarse

EyesBlack

8 years ago

I like these! Pros- color payoff. nice med brown color to compliment my honey blonde coif. inexpensive. accessible. Cons- You use pencils quickly due to sharpening if you like a nice point for filling in brows. They need a retractable version of this EXACT pencil!!!!!

About reviewer (23 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Dark, Cool

HairBrunette, Other, Other

3.0

9 years ago

I use this filling in my brows - it's not so soft that it's smushy, but it is soft enough to use softly in my medium-brown brows. I like other brown eye pencils better, but this is a good one.

About reviewer (58 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

EyesBlue

9 years ago

this is soo bad.bought this for cheap at a Loreal Paris invitation only sale.it hurts to apply,not pigmented on the eye but when swatched is maybe a 3 out of 5. threw it out about 2 attempts.

About reviewer (30 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

from

10 years ago

Garbage. Bought because it was cheap when the airline lost my luggage. Hard with no color payoff unless you go over and over and over the line. Even then it fades/rubs off quickly. Won't even save to use on eyebrows it's so terrible. Straight in the trash when I got home.

About reviewer (26 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Not Sure

HairRed, Wavy, Coarse

11 years ago

I was browsing through CVS when i found this product. At around 3-4 dollars, what do I really have to lose? A lot. When I checked on epinions, many people seemed to like it alot. They said that it's all they use. Blahblah. Its horrible. First off, the red cap is really hard to get off. Or it's really loose. One of them that i had, it was legit glued on or something. I don't know. Second, it hurts to use it as an eyeliner. It's like scraping your eye with a regular graphite pencil. When I light it, it becomes better, but it doesn't stay for an hour. It's gone by the time I get home, which is like 8 hours later. Actually I check in school. It's gone by 2nd period which starts at nine. And I put it on at 7am. I'm not going to carry around a lighter to melt the tip. Thirdly, sharpening the thing is a real pain. When I sharpened it, it nearly exploded or something. It splintered so bad that it needed to be thrown out. This is horrible. If i could give it a zero, i could. It's only to be used as firewood.

About reviewer (19 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBlack, Other, Other

11 years ago

This eye liner is the worst one that I have ever tried. It's the red wood pencil eye liner from Maybelline called Expert Eyes. I bought it because I remember my mother using this same eye liner when I was a little girl and I thought I'd give it a try. The color is called dark brown. It is not dark brown at all. It is actually more of a taupe color. The lasting power is very poor but it's worst offense is that it applies horribly. It is not smooth at all--does not glide on. It is very rough and it hurts my eyelids. This is going in the trash and I will not be buying this again.

About reviewer (250 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinVery Oily, Medium, Not Sure

HairBlack, Other, Other

11 years ago

While this is not my favorite pencil, I like it a lot. a BIG plus: this pencil doesnt easily dry out over time. I've had mine for about 2 years. they are just as smooth as when i first bought the pack. also, I LOVE wooden pencils that can be sharpened, which is rare anymore. retractable do not give me what i desire. The texture is smooth and glides on easily without being greasy. Stays on well throughout the day. Really my only issue with it is that it is NOT easily smudgable. i think it's because of the length of the pencil and also because it is nto fat and has a fairly fine point, not really rounded like some. And it is GREAT as a brow pencil. I will probably rebuy because I have used this on and off since the late 80's in high school.

About reviewer (281 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination

HairRed

EyesGreen

3.0

11 years ago

I believe some reviewers put their reviews in the wrong section here. The Expert Eyes are the classic red Maybelline pencils; there's no sponge tip or retractable part. :) </br> </br> First of all, the Dark Brown is not dark at all. I was extremely surprised when I swatched this on my hand. If it were a dark brown liner, which I don't have, I might've found a way to make this work. But this is quite a reddish-brown, which does not work for my light eyes. Secondly, I also tried the light a match and hold the liner over it trick. Nope, not working for me. The application was...decent. I'd prefer softer so I don't hurt my eyelids. Third and finally, the lasting power is nil. </br> </br>So back these go to Ulta! *Edit - I bumped this up a couple lippies. I tried it again (I know - I'm really bad about returning things, then trying them another time!) using the lighter trick. This is really an average, maybe good liner. I've used the lighter trick and it truly does make the staying power much, much greater. Really. But my problem is that, as another reviewer commented, the "Dark Brown" really isn't - it's more of a reddish brown. This is making me wonder how the Velvet Black will show up and how well the new Maybelline Express eye pencils (forget the exact name but it has a smudger) will work under a lighter. Will try when they go on sale!

About reviewer (178 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair

HairBlond

EyesBlue

2.0

11 years ago

For reference, I have asian eyes (but with a fold) and oily lids, so I defnitely need an eyeliner that stays put, which this did not. Pros: It's cheap. In fact, I bought this at Target where they were selling Define a Lash Volume masacara in Dark Brown coupled with this eyeliner for US $6.99 + tax. It's retractable. I hate sharpening pencils because I feel like I'm wasting time and product, and it lets you actually retract the liner. I know Clinique Quickliners won't let you click it back, which is annoying. It has a nice, spongy smudger on the other end. I'm currently using MAC Technakohl in Photogravure, which I love, but wish that it would have a smudger on the end. It applies very smoothly, no tugging. Cons: It doesn't last. Like, at all. I'm usually pretty forgiving of eyeliners because I know my lids are oily and it's easy for the color to smudge, but this one doesn't even last a second! It rolls on very easy - too easy for me. It's like it's just floating on top of my skin and not staying put. I used Clinique Quickliner initially when I started wearing makeup, but it would only last for a few hours and then disappeared. MAC Technakohl has worked the best for me, and even that I need Urban Decay's Primer Potion to make it last all day. The color isn't as dark as I would have liked it. Black is usually too harsh a color for a day look for me, but this one isn't very noticable enough for me. It's cheap and a pretty good product I suppose for those with skin type and eye-shape for it, so I would definitely reccomend you to try it. But for me, when it doesn't even last the initial application, I won't ever buy again.

About reviewer (83 reviews)

Age