Weleda Calendula Conditioner

4.8

on 2/28/2008 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

UPDATE: discontinued - now replaced by new Calendula & Chamomile (which, to my nose, is rank). New Rosemary & Ginger highly recommended, also Lemon Balm & Orange Blossom is pleasant (but better on oilier hair). Hence why I won't be buying this again - cos it doesn't exist. The new formulae are not very different in terms of main active ingredients, but repackaged, and twice the price.

The good old Calendula and its current replacements are first-class basic cheap silicone-free conditioner; main ingredients being coconut-based fatty acids and jojoba oil.

It's a very simple and straight-forward conditioner, mild, non-irritating to scalp and skin, and works well on hair that is more or less normal (slightly dry), fine, but thick. Not coloured or treated or blow-dried. So not terribly demanding. This might, therefore, not be sufficiently moisturizing for hair that is longer, drier, more treated/tamed, etc. Or you could add more oil to the ends.

One shampoos, rinses, squeezes excess water out of hair, and applies this lovely stuff. Pale/white-ish and intermediate texture, not too thick, not too thin. About a quarter/10p/EUR1.00 size amount suffices for shoulder-length hair. One puts this on, anyway, concentrating on ends; and combs through; leaves for a moment (maybe a minute? not more, I bore rapidly with leaving on conditioners). Rinse, towel-dry, comb through again, leave to dry.

Hair is left smooth, tangle-free, shiny, etc.; all the things one requires of a decent conditioner.

It smells very pleasant in the shower: herbal, not too sweet, with elements of citrus, verbena, rosemary, sage, and ylang-ylang. A little like Aveda Shampure. The Man has taken to this enthusiastically and commented on the scent; he has fine hair, very sensitive skin, and delicate scalp. The scent only lingers very slightly afterwards.

Two notes of warning. I was not impressed by the matching shampoo, as it didn't clean my hair. And the conditioner goes off very fast, I think (I may be wrong!) because there's little in the way of preservatives, as is often the case with natural cosmetic products: here, ex. grapefruit seed extract and citric acid. You'll know if it's off - it smells funky in the bottle, funkier still on application. So sniff before you buy. Current last stock - i.e. as far as I can tell, the last batch manufactured and that's still on shop shelves - is dated for 06/2010; I found some older stock, for 10/2008, that was Not Good. So be ye warned.

It's mercifully cheap here in Europe: around the EUR 5.00-7.00 mark, for 250 ml.

INGREDIENTS: water - cetearyl alcohol - cetrimonium chloride - jojoba oil (jojoba esters) - calendula officinalis tincture - grapefruit seed extract - alcohol denat. - citric acid - essential oils of lavender, ylang ylang, orange, Spanish rosemary, litsea cubeba/verbena tropicalis, clary sage, sage, Peruvian balsam. continued >>

on 6/11/2007 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is a great value and effective conditionner for my fine, dry, colored hair. But I found even better, Australian Organics, available in Holland and Barrett in UK!

on 12/16/2006 9:26:00 PM

Seriously the best conditioner i tried in my life. I have quite fine, wavy , greasy hair with dry ends.
this one is the best- it did not weighted my hair and left it so soft and shiny. probabaly suitable for everybody but very dry, curly or very thick hair.
i always used rosemary conditioner which is ok, but nor comparable, that one it is like Kerastase ones for cheap price, and no silicones.
seriously go and get it!!!

I like this stuff and it's much better than siliconey conditioners. Nice herbal scent that doesn't overpower. Wish they sold it in the USA.

on 5/2/2006 10:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Love this conditioner, it's light, but still moisturing enough for every day, and has a subtle scent. I am really not a fan of the matching shampoo, but this conditioner is a keeper.

This is another great product from Weleda. I use it in conjunction with the Rosemary shampoo. I have long, fine, dry hair and this is a great conditioner. You don't need much and it makes you hair easy to comb out and lessens that crunchy dry end feeling. I tried the Rosemary conditoner (for greasy hair, the labels don't always mean anything!) and found it not as moisturising but not a bad conditioner. Will definately repurchase this.

on 4/4/2005 3:20:00 PM

Calendula conditioner has a rather old-fashioned feel to it. The texture is fairly runny, not thick, like a lotion. The smell is faintly herby but nothing special or overpowering. I used this after Calendula shampoo and it made my hair nice and soft (I left it in for a few minutes while showering). The softness felt "natural", not the overly slick feel you get from silicone conditioners! I like the fact that it's kinder to the environment as well as the skin. A very mild product like the shampo. I will probably repurchase for a daily conditioner but will look for an intensive conditioner to use occasionally alongside. *** UPDATE: Still using this and liking it. I don't need to use very much and i doesn't weigh my hair down or coat it with cones. I use a separate intensive conditioner once in a while. The packaging is really unattractive though if I may have one tiny gripe!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I have been using this with the rosemary shampoo and I have to say it is one of the best conditioners I have used! Gorgeous- lots of nice herbs and plant extracts in, smooths hair and leaves it super soft! AND kind to nature! I will be buying this again!