Desert Essence Daily Essential Moisturizer

3.7

Price: $

Price: $

Not tested on animals

Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Glyceryl Stearate (Vegetable Derived), Stearic Acid (Vegetable Derived), Cetyl Palmitate (Plant Derived),Jojoba Seed Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Cetyl Alcohol (Vegetable Derived), Propanediol (Corn Derived), Sesame Seed Oil, Glycerin (Plant Derived), Gluconolactone, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Benzoate, Geranium Maculatum Oil (Plant Derived)

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Though the packaging has changed, I still love this product. I'd love it more if it came in a pump bottle though. Anyway, aside from that, it's impossibly light feeling for how well it moisturizes. It's a bit of a hidden gem, if you ask me. It has nearly no discernible odour, no colour and no freaky ingredients. It sinks in almost immediately and soothes angry skin on contact. Though it is much better for summer due to its lightness, I still keep it around in winter as a weightless daytime moisturizer.

No frills. No bells. No whistles. Inexpensive. What's not to love... except for the fact it comes in a tub. Oh well. I'll continue to scoop it out with a butter knife, because it's awesome stuff.

on 8/26/2012 12:35:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Unfortunately, this seems to be giving me a few pimples. Nothing serious, but I normally don't get spots except for a pimple or two around my chin before my period. After using this for 2 weeks I have a spot in the middle of my cheek and one on the side of my nose, so I'll be going back to my Simple moisturizer, which was doing great but more expensive than this one. Other than that, I was pretty much happy with this, and the price was super-cheap, with natural ingredients, so I really wanted it to work, but it's not worth getting pimples.

on 8/3/2010 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I tried using this on my face and it was too heavy (my skin is increasingly oily, particularly on my cheeks and chin and especially now that it's summertime), so now I use it as my eye cream, and for this purpose it's working out well.

Update: I barely even use this product anymore as an eye cream. It's basically collecting dust these days. I prefer CeraVe cream as my eyecream.

on 11/10/2009 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I've concluded after searching the entire Internet that there is no purely natural facial moisturizer except a few that unfortunately have (comedogenic) coconut oil. I guess the only option is to use pure non-comedogenic oils like avocado oil. I was using a very plain coconut oil moisturizer that caused tons of zits, so I did some research - turns out coconut is clogging. Probably everyone on the planet already knew that but me! So I read that jojoba oil is not clogging, and neither is aloe vera. I found this product and ran to WF to get it. Now it is true that it is not very moisturizing at all, so I added some unrefined avocado oil and some pure aloe vera (Aubrey's) and now it's awesome. My skin actually says "aaahhh" when I put it on. So for those who didn't have an adverse reaction to it for some reason, try adding an oil that you like, and some aloe vera, and it becomes a very nice moisturizer.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I bought this at Whole Foods for 7 dollars. It is a huge jar/tub that will last a long time, so for the price it is an unbelievable deal.
I have combination skin: oily on the nose, chin, and forehead; normal on the cheeks; normal-dry around my eyes. I swear that this moisturizer kept my oilies at bay ALL DAY. I put this on after I showered today at 11 am, and after a long day at the doctors and such, come 8 pm, I feel my face and think: why isn't my nose oily? Or my chin??

Great product!! Keep in mind that I had no makeup on today. However I did put makeup over it yesterday just to see how it would apply and it goes on super smooth (liquid foundation). The cream gives your skin a very matte finish, and its long-lasting too. Your skin feels smooth all day! And it really does cut down on the oil.

100% recommended to combination/oily skin types. I don't like how this is in a jar/tub, I prefer pump bottles and what not...but who cares, this cream is HG material.

EDIT: Was not good under makeup. After several hours of wear, my MU looked horrible with this moisturizer as my base. Nice moisturizer when you're not wearing any MU, I suppose.

on 4/17/2008 4:40:00 AM

I've only been using this product for a couple weeks, so these are my preliminary feelings about it. I recently got a facial because I've been having an unusual breakout on my chin. I've made a lot of changes to my skincare routine lately in an effort to simplify it, make it more organic and address the needs of my aging skin as I enter my 30s. The esthetician recommended that I start using a moisturizer again as I had stopped a few months ago in favor of just using jojoba oil. I chose this moisturizer because it is very natural, has jojoba oil in in and is very inexpensive. I've been very pleased. I use it at night with the jojoba oil and during the day with my spf and make-up. It has a nice matte finish and light smell. I gave it a four out of five because not all of the ingredients are totally natural - you can read more about toxic ingredients on the cosmetic database if you're interested. But, let's just say that most products contain a lot of these ingredients, so they can be hard to avoid - my policy is if you can buy it at Whole Foods, it is usually a safe bet, because they do their research. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

on 2/16/2005 2:23:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I like this one! It feels very luxurious on too... i've been searching for a moisturizer that isn't too rich but still provides enough moisture--i think this is it! there's just a few ingredients...and all natural. great stuff...esp for my sensitive skin.

UPDATE: I'm still loving this! It's been a couple weeks... and no skin reaction... i just use it in the morning after my D.E. regimin: 1. wash with DE thoroughly clean facial wash 2. rub in a few drops of Jojoba oil until absorbed 3. apply a dab of the DE moisturizer...and voila! baby soft skin! It feels much plumper after only a couple weeks, and WAY SOFTER!

#2 UPDATE: I am still using this, but now i use a vitamin C serum underneath (by Avalon) and it's working beautifully! D.E. is my fave night cream!!! sometimes i even use it as a day cream since it mattifies nicely.