Desert Essence Daily Essential Moisturizer

Desert Essence Daily Essential Moisturizer
Daily Essential Moisturizer

3.5

Not tested on animals

Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Glyceryl Stearate (Vegetable Derived), Stearic Acid (Vegetable Derived), Cetyl Palmitate (Plant Derived),Jojoba Seed Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Cetyl Alcohol (Vegetable Derived), Propanediol (Corn Derived), Sesame Seed Oil, Glycerin (Plant Derived), Gluconolactone, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Benzoate, Geranium Maculatum Oil (Plant Derived)

on 8/4/2013 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I use the desert essence shampoo and conditoner and shower gel, so thought I would give the cream a go, unfortunately I had a reaction to it my skin went very red and tight, I have had this before with another organic face cream.
I love the rest of the range but had to throw the face cream awaydue to my reaction to it.

on 12/16/2011 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Still on the quest for a cruelty-free alternative to Olay Classis Sensitive Skin. My skin is quite sensitive but otherwise 'normal', so I just need a basic moisturizer. I seem to react to many moisturizers containing sunscreen. As a result, my preference is for non-SPF products, and I apply a baby sunscreen as needed.

I picked this up after trying the tester a few times in my local New Seasons to get a feel for whether I would react. I am very glad I did. It's a light cream with a pleasant, mild scent. It sinks into my skin very quickly and leaves a matte finish. The moisturizing is just right for my skin and not at all greasy. A little dab normally does for me, though I apply a bit extra if it's particularly dry out. I'm not in love with the container as I don't care for tubs, but I can live with it. I will definitely re-purchase.

This must be my HG moisturizer. I cannot believe how much I LOVE this. I HATE moisturizers and can only bear a few. Most break me out, make me feel oily, and don't even do their job - moisturize. Ugh. But this, this is amazing. And the tub is so huge for like 6 dollars. It's a steal. The only problem I could ever see with this is for someone who has extremely sensitive skin because the oils might irritate them. You look at the ingredients and see so many oils lol but they will not clog! Don't be afraid of oils.

This is soooooo great, though. At first I put it on and then I thought it was not enough moisture - it soaks in IN FRONT OF YOU in like 4 seconds. I kept applying more and more lol, which isn't necessary. It soaks in and might even feel tighter, but after 10 minutes your face feels so moisturized and soft. I wake up with an almost matte, and very healthy looking face.
Gah, I just love it. <3

Edit - I reviewed this in May 2011, and it is February 2012 tomorrow and I just want to say I still ADORE this moisturizer. Hands down the most important item in my entire regimen. I can change my cleanser or my makeup, but this, this ALWAYS stays. I still love it and use it every day :)

on 6/27/2008 1:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is a really great moisturizer for everyday use. It looks and feels like it would be greasy, but once you rub it into the skin, it just absorbs and does not feel greasy at all. I feel like my skin drinks this stuff in. I have been using this a little over two weeks, and my skin has not broken out from it. It is the perfect moisturizer for me to wear under makeup. I was previously using Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion, but felt that it was a little too greasy for the humid summer (it is absolutely GREAT in the winter though). So now I just use the Desert Essence daily moisturizer and Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer during the day under makeup. At night I use the same things, except I spot treat very dry spots (from excessive use of BP) with the Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion.

My only concern is that I wish this came in a tube and not a tub. A tube of moisturizer is just easier to use then having to screw and unscrew a tub lid and then having to dip your fingers into the lotion, etc.

EDIT: I changed my rating from a 5 to a 3. I have used this for about a month (the tub is almost gone). It's a good moisturizer if you have somewhat dry skin. For me, I use a lot of harsh face cleansers that really dry out my skin. I have been using Aveeno Daily Moisturizer and this moisturized VERY well, so even though the cleansers dried my face out, it wasn't that noticeable because the Aveeno moisturizer would counteract that. For Desert Essence moisturizer, however, was a lot weaker and therefore had no power to counteract the strength of the cleansers. So my face was becoming overly dried everyday, until my face started freaking out by becoming oiler and I kept breaking out on my forehead. I hardly break out on my forehead unless it's that time of the month, but even then, it's little blemishes and not deep cysts. My overall complexion was smooth (I guess because it was overdried) but very ruddy and blotchy, also, due to the overdrying. I have now switched back to my Aveeno Daily Moisturizer and my face is happy again. I'm not even wearing any makeup right now (besides a little concealed spots here and there) which is saying a lot since I always wear foundation. I want to stress that this lotion does not cause breakouts. I had breakouts due to very dry skin.

Also on a side note, do NOT mix the Desert Essence Daily Moisturizer with the Aveeno Daily Moisturizer. These lotions totally cancel each other out, literally. Probably due to the ingredients - I put both on my face (the DE first then Aveeno), and I had little lotion lint balls EVERYWHERE. Did not feel good at all (it's like having little toilet paper dingleberries all over your face), so I had to rinse my face again.