Desert Essence Daily Essential Moisturizer

Desert Essence Daily Essential Moisturizer
Daily Essential Moisturizer

3.8

Not tested on animals

Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Glyceryl Stearate (Vegetable Derived), Stearic Acid (Vegetable Derived), Cetyl Palmitate (Plant Derived),Jojoba Seed Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Cetyl Alcohol (Vegetable Derived), Propanediol (Corn Derived), Sesame Seed Oil, Glycerin (Plant Derived), Gluconolactone, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Benzoate, Geranium Maculatum Oil (Plant Derived)

on 11/24/2014 2:40:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

A little bit drying I thinktried it a few times, no go. sad because it is organic! my skin is in between dry and oily. i like giovannis one, did wonders on my skin but the fragrance is a little irritating -___-

on 8/21/2012 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

This product stinks, literally and otherwise.
Inside the unhygenic jar, it looks sickly - like spoiled whipped cream or bad yogurt. The smell is gagging. I usually like the scent of geranium essential oil and this is definitely not the same scent. Like another user wrote, this smell is similar to smell of sweaty skin or some bodily secretion. Yuck....
Applied on the face - well, that's another story. I got small red itchy bumps on the side of the face I tested this on. I think it is the sodium hydroxide ingredient (lye) a.k.a caustic soda, which as the name implies, could be caustic to skin, especially sensitive skin and is used in detergents and heavy-duty *cleaners* !!
I am so done with Desert Essence products.

on 12/16/2011 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Still on the quest for a cruelty-free alternative to Olay Classis Sensitive Skin. My skin is quite sensitive but otherwise 'normal', so I just need a basic moisturizer. I seem to react to many moisturizers containing sunscreen. As a result, my preference is for non-SPF products, and I apply a baby sunscreen as needed.

I picked this up after trying the tester a few times in my local New Seasons to get a feel for whether I would react. I am very glad I did. It's a light cream with a pleasant, mild scent. It sinks into my skin very quickly and leaves a matte finish. The moisturizing is just right for my skin and not at all greasy. A little dab normally does for me, though I apply a bit extra if it's particularly dry out. I'm not in love with the container as I don't care for tubs, but I can live with it. I will definitely re-purchase.

on 1/22/2011 1:15:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I love, love, love this stuff. I have ridiculously sensitive skin, and it tames it like no other.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Finally I have found a good face cream for my dry skin, that still works under makeup. I'm not sure why I was so hesitant about adding jojoba oil into my skincare routine, since I hear so many good things about it but this has it and I am so glad I decided to try it. It has made my skin so soft and over all better looking. It's perfect for at night or in the morning and it keeps my skin hydrated all day, even under makeup. It is not greasy and it absorbs nicely into your skin without disappearing completely IYKWIM. It doesn't mess up my makeup at all, I moisturize with this right before applying makeup and it's not a problem. I've been using this religiously for about a week and no break outs either. The jar doesn't state it but it's scent-free, and personally I like the jar since I can scoop out every last bit which means your money's worth. I got this for about $6 at Stop & Shop and it's better than a lot of higher end creams I have tried.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This comes in a jar and is very creamy and thick. I only need a small scoopful for my face and it doesn't break me out. Has a nice, light scent that isn't over the top. Does make my face a bit red initially, but overall my face feels soft and moisturized. This isn't greasy and sometimes feels mattifying. I have super oily skin so it doesn't bother me. I use this at night, and in the morning my skin looks pretty good which is why I would continue to use it. Not sure if this would be my HG, but I like that this is a natural product and is decently priced.

on 6/27/2008 1:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is a really great moisturizer for everyday use. It looks and feels like it would be greasy, but once you rub it into the skin, it just absorbs and does not feel greasy at all. I feel like my skin drinks this stuff in. I have been using this a little over two weeks, and my skin has not broken out from it. It is the perfect moisturizer for me to wear under makeup. I was previously using Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion, but felt that it was a little too greasy for the humid summer (it is absolutely GREAT in the winter though). So now I just use the Desert Essence daily moisturizer and Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer during the day under makeup. At night I use the same things, except I spot treat very dry spots (from excessive use of BP) with the Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion.

My only concern is that I wish this came in a tube and not a tub. A tube of moisturizer is just easier to use then having to screw and unscrew a tub lid and then having to dip your fingers into the lotion, etc.

EDIT: I changed my rating from a 5 to a 3. I have used this for about a month (the tub is almost gone). It's a good moisturizer if you have somewhat dry skin. For me, I use a lot of harsh face cleansers that really dry out my skin. I have been using Aveeno Daily Moisturizer and this moisturized VERY well, so even though the cleansers dried my face out, it wasn't that noticeable because the Aveeno moisturizer would counteract that. For Desert Essence moisturizer, however, was a lot weaker and therefore had no power to counteract the strength of the cleansers. So my face was becoming overly dried everyday, until my face started freaking out by becoming oiler and I kept breaking out on my forehead. I hardly break out on my forehead unless it's that time of the month, but even then, it's little blemishes and not deep cysts. My overall complexion was smooth (I guess because it was overdried) but very ruddy and blotchy, also, due to the overdrying. I have now switched back to my Aveeno Daily Moisturizer and my face is happy again. I'm not even wearing any makeup right now (besides a little concealed spots here and there) which is saying a lot since I always wear foundation. I want to stress that this lotion does not cause breakouts. I had breakouts due to very dry skin.

Also on a side note, do NOT mix the Desert Essence Daily Moisturizer with the Aveeno Daily Moisturizer. These lotions totally cancel each other out, literally. Probably due to the ingredients - I put both on my face (the DE first then Aveeno), and I had little lotion lint balls EVERYWHERE. Did not feel good at all (it's like having little toilet paper dingleberries all over your face), so I had to rinse my face again.

on 3/12/2007 5:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this for 3 days and it is a bit early to post a review but I have been so impressed I had to! This is perfect and just what i have been looking for. I initially put of buying it because I thought it wouldn't be rich enough for me as I see lots of combination skinned people have been reviewing this. I have very troublesome dry and sensitive skin. I need to apply 2 layers of this cream in the morning, which is white, fragrance free and non greasy. My skin feels really soft and comfortable all day. Its a good price and good ingredients, so I am happy :) UPDATE found after a week or so that is was not quite hydrating enough for me so ended up finishing it off as a neck cream.